Author Topic: Old stone oven pizza stone  (Read 2083 times)

Offline chasenpse

• Battle Hill Media
Old stone oven pizza stone
« on: September 21, 2013, 07:25:37 AM »
Has anyone here used this brand pizza stone and if so what's your opinion on them? I recieved one as a gift one year for Christmas and it's the only stone I haven't broken so far, it even held up on a gas grill.
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Old stone oven pizza stone
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 08:51:06 AM »
chasenpse,

I don't have the same exact pizza stone that you have, but my American Metalcraft pizza stone made of Cordierite does a good job of baking pizzas.

Do you know what your Old Stone oven pizza stone is made of?

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline chasenpse

• Battle Hill Media
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 08:57:46 AM »
I think it's cordierite as well but I'm not 100%, i've seen others say they are but haven't found anything from the manufacturer
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 09:06:51 AM »
chasenpse,

A quick search on the forum came up with this link from anton-lugi.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8984.msg77737.html#msg77737  He said he got good results with an Old Stone Pizza Stone.  There are probably other posts on the Old Stone oven pizza stone if you do a search.

Norma

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 09:33:38 AM »
I've used Old Stone Oven stones.  I currently have a square one in my oven.

Its done well for me.  Though I prefer pies in my Blackstone, I've found the OSO tiles to work very well.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 12:50:21 PM »
I have a rectangular Cordierite Old Stone Oven stone and have used it with good results for several years.

Peter

scott123

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 01:36:45 PM »
Nick, other than the really cheap thin Walmart stones, there are no truly good or truly bad stones, only stones that are better suited to some purposes and stones that are better suited to other purposes.

With your NY style goals and your oven, this stone may not be ideal.  It really depends on what kind of NY style pizza you're striving for.  If the pizza from your youth was chewy, puffy, but not that crispy, like mine was, then this might not produce that.  If you're looking for something crispy, uniformed golden brown and relatively long baked (9+ minutes), then this should work well.

Offline chasenpse

• Battle Hill Media
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 11:06:14 PM »
Nick, other than the really cheap thin Walmart stones, there are no truly good or truly bad stones, only stones that are better suited to some purposes and stones that are better suited to other purposes.

With your NY style goals and your oven, this stone may not be ideal.  It really depends on what kind of NY style pizza you're striving for.  If the pizza from your youth was chewy, puffy, but not that crispy, like mine was, then this might not produce that.  If you're looking for something crispy, uniformed golden brown and relatively long baked (9+ minutes), then this should work well.

The pizza you describe is pretty spot on with what I grew up with except I favor a slightly crunchier crust yet still soft, chewy, and foldable. What would you recommend for this? I tried baking a pie using the last of my AP flour dough in the broiler since I didn't want to toss it and my pie came out better than previous attempts. I preheated for a little past an hour and my only issue was the bottom of my pie didn't take on much color, is this because my stone is too far away?

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 08:22:22 PM »
I have two 15.75" Old Stone stones that I believe are 1/2" thick (not including the base/risers, which are identical to the bottom of the stone in Norma's pic). These stones are indestructible, as they've spent a considerable amount of time in a very hot grill. However, my stones are not the same as the stone in your picture. (Yours looks smaller.) Norma's American Metalcraft stone appears to be identical to my stones. In fact, I've already suspected for a while that American Metalcraft stones are identical to Old Stone stones. I got both of my stones at Restaurant Equippers in Columbus, Ohio, if that means anything to you.

If your stone is comparable to my stones, which seems likely since they're the same brand, you don't need to worry about it breaking.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 08:52:31 PM »
Ryan,

I sure don't know if Old Stone oven pizza stones and the Metalcraft codierite stones are the same.  Steve (Ev) told me his stone was a Oven Stone pizza stone, but I see he posted at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9562.msg82931.html#msg82931 that it was a Metalcraft cordierite stone.  Steve also did some other ovens tests with his pizza stone at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19012.msg185710.html#msg185710  Steve makes some fantastic looking pizzas just using his pizza stone, but he also has tried soapstone and steel. 

Dave (Tampa) also posted about his Old Stone pizza stone at Reply 13 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14347.msg143747.html#msg143747 

Norma

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 10:50:32 PM »
Hmmm. Maybe my stones are actually American Metalcraft but I just tricked myself into thinking they were Old Stone. I could've sworn they were Old Stone, but maybe I'm wrong. Unfortunately I think the packaging is long gone.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 06:35:02 AM »
The Old Stone Oven Stone is a product of a company called Kitchen Supply Co. (http://www.kitchensupply.com/). However, that does not tell us whether they make the stones themselves (unlikely, I think), or they contract the production out to someone else, or they buy them off the shelf from someone else and just slap their brand name on them. The American Metalcraft (Amnow) stones can be seen at http://www.amnow.com/Pizza-Supplies/Pizza-Stones/Deluxe-Pizza-Stones. Amnow also carries an economy pizza stone line: http://www.amnow.com/Pizza-Supplies/Pizza-Stones/Economy-Pizza-Stones,

Peter

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 11:13:08 AM »
I have two stones. One like Chasenpse's and one like Norma's. Except for the center of the underside they are identical and cook the same. I got them both from the same place at different times. I believe they were packaged the same as well. Just for kicks I just now went and weighed both stones. The blank stone weighs 4019g but the Old stone is only 3672g.

Offline chasenpse

• Battle Hill Media
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 01:55:40 PM »
I have two stones. One like Chasenpse's and one like Norma's. Except for the center of the underside they are identical and cook the same. I got them both from the same place at different times. I believe they were packaged the same as well. Just for kicks I just now went and weighed both stones. The blank stone weighs 4019g but the Old stone is only 3672g.

Have you ever tried positioning your second stone above your pizza to get a better bake on top of your pies?

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 03:22:42 PM »
Peter, I just received my new pizza stone from American Metalcraft, the box and packaging are American Metalcraft but my use and care leaflet is "Old Stone Oven/Kitchen Supply" brand.

The Old Stone Oven Stone is a product of a company called Kitchen Supply Co. (http://www.kitchensupply.com/). However, that does not tell us whether they make the stones themselves (unlikely, I think), or they contract the production out to someone else, or they buy them off the shelf from someone else and just slap their brand name on them. The American Metalcraft (Amnow) stones can be seen at http://www.amnow.com/Pizza-Supplies/Pizza-Stones/Deluxe-Pizza-Stones. Amnow also carries an economy pizza stone line: http://www.amnow.com/Pizza-Supplies/Pizza-Stones/Economy-Pizza-Stones,

Peter
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 03:40:17 PM »
My new stone looks like Norma's on the bottom though.

I have some "older" stones that I believe are American Metalcraft. They have shorter feet and have less of a golden hue to them. They also seem a bit more dense. One of them was put out by Vitantonio for Disney. Some of the older pizza stones sold by Nordicware are the same.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 03:47:18 PM »
Have you ever tried positioning your second stone above your pizza to get a better bake on top of your pies?

No, I never felt the need. If anything, I'd rather have more bottom heat.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 04:36:45 PM »
Peter, I just received my new pizza stone from American Metalcraft, the box and packaging are American Metalcraft but my use and care leaflet is "Old Stone Oven/Kitchen Supply" brand.

Lydia,

Thank you for that information. I suspect that American Metalcraft may be making stones for Kitchen Supply and may be drop shipping them to customers under the Old Stone Oven brand. That would save on shipping costs.

Peter

pizzapan