Author Topic: NY pizza attempt  (Read 1029 times)

Offline jjdec05

• The more I learn,the more I know how little I know
NY pizza attempt
« on: August 18, 2013, 01:26:43 PM »
After a long absence of pizza making, I decided the other evening to see what I could conjure up. The dough's hydration is in the mid 60's. Three percent salt. About a teaspoon of IDY and a tablespoon or so of olive oil. It was hand kneaded with an autolyse of 15m after about 75% of the flour had been added. After kneading to near completion, the dough was given another 30m rest period before finally being finished and set to rise. I then put it in the fridge overnight. At 8 the next morning, the dough was left for a bulk room temp rise of about 5 hours. It was then balled and used approximately 6 hours later. The sauce is a simple uncooked concoction of crushed Scalfini tomatoes, a pinch of oregano, red pepper, salt and pepper.  The pies were cooked in a 550 degree conventional oven.

The results where somewhat good. The pizza was enjoyable, yet the pizza was a bit crunchy for the NY style I was going for. For the next batch, I have decided to increase olive oil. I am thinking 3% of flour, in an attempt to make the crust more pliable. A pizza isn't really NY style if it cannot be folded.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 01:29:19 PM by jjdec05 »

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Re: NY pizza attempt
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 01:35:21 PM »
Your pizza looks good! And the cheese..."burnt crispies" as Chicago Bob would say ;)
Il miglior fabbro

Offline jjdec05

• The more I learn,the more I know how little I know
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 11:14:52 PM »
Your pizza looks good! And the cheese..."burnt crispies" as Chicago Bob would say ;)

Thanks!!

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 12:52:50 PM »
Nice looking pie! What brand flour did you use, and could you provide details on your cooking method (time, pizza stone/steel, etc)?

3% salt is pretty high for a NY pie, that's more neapolitan territory if I'm not mistaken.
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

pizzapan