Author Topic: What Oil should I use for the pan?  (Read 3115 times)

Offline nysauce

What Oil should I use for the pan?
« on: February 22, 2006, 04:25:10 PM »
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've posted. I tried out  a Grandma Pizza over the weekend, which is basically thinner than a NY stlyle Sicillian pie and ussually done in 1 baking. My question is, I had my oven at 550 degrees and I used Olive Oil to coat the pan. Now this is the first time I've ever cooked in a pan. Needless to say the bottom of my pie was black and burnt (The top was fine though). I realized that the smoking point of olive oil is in the low 400's so I assume the oil simply burned from the high heat. Can anyone else suggest what they use to oil their pans. Should I try adding more oil? I only add enough to lightly grease the pan. I also thought that maybe I need to lower my temp but I wanted to keep the temperature close to what a real pizzeria oven might be at since I'm kind of "training" to own one.  :chef: Thanks...

Offline foodblogger

• Favorite Chain Pizza - Gino's East
    • My Food Blog
Re: What Oil should I use for the pan?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 04:44:35 PM »
I have had no difficulty using extra virgin olive oil in the bottom of a pan.  When I have done this with Chicago style deep dish, I have baked on the bottom rack at 450.  How much oil you use is sort of up to what you are going for, but I typically add about 1/4 cup olive oil to the bottom of a 14 inch round deep dish pan.  That is a significantly larger amount of oil than you would add if you were just trying to 'grease the pan'.  I haven't tried olive oil at 550 though, so I don't know what to tell you about that temperature.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 05:02:53 PM »
I have read 2 ounces of oil for a 14-inch pan for Sicilian. That would be 1/4 cup, just as foodblogger mentioned. In a deck oven, a temperature of around 525 degrees F is typically recommended. For an air impingement oven, about 435 degrees F is typical.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 05:20:44 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline chiguy

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 05:15:07 PM »
 Hey NYsauce,
 You're home oven will not operate the same as a commercial oven, be a impinger or a stone deck. These ovens are designed to distribute heat more evenly. There is no oil mystery as to why you burned the pizza. You're particular oven temp is too high for using you're particular pan, a 550F temp at home is better suited for a pizza peel and stone deck baked pizza.   Goodluck, Chiguy
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 05:18:35 PM by chiguy »

Offline nysauce

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 02:33:38 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I'll try lowering my temperature and I'll try using a little more oil as well. I'll try to post pictures when I make a pie on Friday night.

pizzapan