Author Topic: Blackstone - replaced bottom stone with steel. Some one had to do it.  (Read 2266 times)

Offline rocky_creey

• I Love Pizza!
I had the steel sitting around so I cut a 16 inch ( used the stone to mark) by 3/8 inch disk and replaced the stone to see what difference it will make. I had already put the bearing mod in or I would not have done it. Motor turns it fine with the bearing in place. I'll report back but since I'm an amateur at the pizza business it won't mean as much as an old pro. I use pans and disk with holes so your millage may vary.:chef:

Offline Dan R Brauchtt

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Blackstone - replaced bottom stone with steel. Some one had to do it.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 05:34:18 PM »
Not all mass is equal, but I doubt if you or I can tell much, for lack of using our ovens extensively.  My first ovens where fired with waste oil & I used concrete reinforcement bars, this allowed for the heat to be evenly radiated.

Now it's back to my "Licker-Tee-Split" low mass, wood fired, barrel, PIZZA OVEN. I'm going to experiment with 3/8" steel too.
( can be seen @ dan r braucht's photostream)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 05:39:19 PM by Dan R Brauchtt »

Offline rocky_creey

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Blackstone - Results
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 12:16:57 PM »
Heat transfer was dramatic. Sorry no pictures. Heat was leaving the steel so fast that oven maxed out at 650 on the steel plate near the flame. I learned that with this rate of transfer I would probably get better results at a lower temperature because there was way more heat to the bottom than needed to crisp it. Oven spring in the cornicone was almost immediate.  Like all new equipment it will require time and practice to master. If you are a pizza extremist and or can make/obtain a 3/8 or other steel disk it may be worth a try. This pizza was cooked using a heavy Cuisinart AMB-14PP Chef's Classic Nonstick Bakeware 14-Inch Pizza Pan

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000D8CAO/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 03:09:46 PM »
Interesting mod. I'd love to see a comparison between stone/steel cooked pies, any chance you can snap a few from your next bake?
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline rocky_creey

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 07:52:27 PM »
Sorry I'm an old fart with no kids, grandchildren, or reason to have a  camera. Being new to the pizza game my pies have a long way to go.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 08:42:34 PM »
Rocky, it would great to see if you could put your steel plate as the top stone, and use the BS stone on the bottom.  Usually you have plenty of bottom heat on the BS, top heat though could be a little better.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 09:26:54 PM »
With respect to the Amazon perforated disk, is there any danger in exposing such a disk to high oven temperatures, given that the disk has a nonstick coating? Most nonstick coatings break down and can emit potentially noxious or toxic gases and components once they get to around 450-500 degrees F. Some of the newer coatings may be more tolerant of higher temperatures but I did not see any mention at the Amazon website of any such coatings or temperatures or temperature limits. Even the baked-in hard anodized PSTK coatings have temperature limits. They are safe up to 600 degrees F.

Peter

Offline rocky_creey

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 10:41:02 AM »
Peter, thanks for the info. I had recently found on line that the pans I was using might not be good in a high temp environment. I changed over to a stainless solid bottom pan ( Amazon). Today I'm going to try a really thin crust. I roll the dough in a greased (butter flavored Crisco)  pan similar to a cracker and then let it rise in a modified bread proofer. I have started doing a prebake and topping out on the carport where the oven lives. If I come across a suitable piece of steel I may try a steel top in addition but because of the straight part across the front I'm not going to swap out the current bottom at this point. I have a son of Chau thick stainless ( curved ) plate that goes from the bottom ( where the bearing sits ) up past the table and curves over in the upper area. I don't know if this may be affecting my top heat or not.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 11:27:33 AM »
Rocky, it would great to see if you could put your steel plate as the top stone, and use the BS stone on the bottom.  Usually you have plenty of bottom heat on the BS, top heat though could be a little better.
That is what I was thinking. This seems a bit like a solution in search of a problem. BS does not suffer from and lack of bottom heat (or top heat for that matter). Balance could perhaps be improved, but steel seems contra-indicated.

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 12:48:57 PM »
I agree, but am still going to try it.  Only after using it the way it was intended, with the BS stones.  Maybe a lower, slower preheat, and full blast before launching pie will help with steel. 

For the BGE, an IR of 600s for a 4 min cook is just right.  700s and you start to torch the bottom before the top is done.  With a one min bake time, I'm sure the Baking Steel temp could go up.  Probably going to start in the 700s, and work up?   
"And let us not grow weary in doing good: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."  Galations 6:9

Offline rocky_creey

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Blackstone - Changed method - most successful bake yet..
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 01:03:26 PM »
Today I prebaked the ( 13 inch ) pizza transferred it out of the 16 inch stainless pan onto a peel, dressed it and was successful at launching it onto the moving steel ( biggest obstetrical for me ). This was an 8 oz     Reinhart Neapolitan dough. Very thin and crisp.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 03:00:03 PM »
biggest obstetrical for me ).

I'm downright afraid to ask.

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 05:47:03 PM »
 :-D :-D :-D
"And let us not grow weary in doing good: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."  Galations 6:9

Offline rocky_creey

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 04:35:32 PM »
OK, OK Obstacle. I won't even explain that.  So after a suggestion from slybarman, I bought some 3/8" steel and cut a piece for the top. I put the top stone on top of the steel as insulation. Cooked a New York type pie today and was elated at the result. This is the pie I want to do over and over again. Sorry I don't have the years of experience to describe the results the way you guys do. I hope some of you will try it sometime and give a proper report.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 08:24:54 AM »
Rocky,  did you get more top heat from the steel then you had been getting from the stone?

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 10:35:50 AM »
I would think one possible way to use a steel dome plate would be to heat it to a very high temperature and then reduce the heat to a low burner setting and let the radiation cook the pie more evenly. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 04:28:57 PM »
Sorry I don't have the years of experience to describe the results the way you guys do.

A picture is worth a thousand words...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 06:18:52 PM »
I'm really surprised you reported increased heating from a steel top plate. I would expect a steel top plate to provide less top heating because it has a far lower emissivity than cordierite.  The thick steel plates are good for cooking on because the physical contact means the pizza is heated by conduction, and steel has a higher conductivity than baking stones so the heat stored in the steel is available at a higher rate (whereas you will see temperature gradients in a stone).  However, in the BS configuration, the top stone is provides radiant heat, so the conductivity should be relatively unimportant and the important property is emissivity (and heat capacity, but that's for another post).  looking at handbook values, it seems very unlikely that a steel top plate would heat a pizza better than stone.  Are you sure you got more top heating with a steel top plate?  :chef:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 06:25:35 PM by CDNpielover »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 08:20:18 PM »
I'm really surprised you reported increased heating from a steel top plate. I would expect a steel top plate to provide less top heating because it has a far lower emissivity than cordierite. 

Unless the steel is shiny, there might not be much difference in emissivity - particularly if the Corderite is pretty clean, in which case it may even be lower than steel with some oxidation. It's simple enough to tell if there is a meaningful difference - just check the temp of each with and IR thermometer.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2013, 08:32:28 PM »
Yes maybe he is using rusty metal

pizzapan