Author Topic: I just realized my oven heats literally 100 degrees higher than it says.  (Read 984 times)

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
No wonder everything has been screwing up. One day I cremated something I cooked in under 3 minutes. The other I made a chicago pizza that was not properly risen. I'm guessing that explains some of my past problems with glue layers under my toppings. BTW this is a P.O.S. older than hell oven.

Offline chasenpse

• Battle Hill Media
Re: I just realized my oven heats literally 100 degrees higher than it says.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 06:58:07 PM »
I had litterally the same problem moving into a new apartment, oven was 75-100 degrees hotter than what I set. I went to make some bread and they turned into black bricks. I'd suggest buying an oven thermometer ASAP. What brand is yours? Perhaps we have the same oven.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 07:05:43 PM by chasenpse »
If Tetris has taught me anything, its that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 12:09:35 AM »
I had litterally the same problem moving into a new apartment, oven was 75-100 degrees hotter than what I set. I went to make some bread and they turned into black bricks. I'd suggest buying an oven thermometer ASAP. What brand is yours? Perhaps we have the same oven.

I like your stove, reminds me of the old style Caloric's. Be happy with your
ovens running on the hot side, that's a GOOD thing. BTW, I can see you keep a clean stove but if that carbon stain above you oven vent is being stubborn, soak a paper towel with some oven cleaner and stick it to the spot and let it soak, re-apply as necessary and it should come off. Oven cleaner won't hurt the porcelain coating

jon
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.            -Mark Twain

Offline pz

• I Love Pizza!
    • good food & friends
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 01:33:33 AM »
I've wasted much money on cheap units, and finally decided to bite the bullet and get a professional grade dual probe unit.  I purchased a ThermoWorks TW8060, a 2-channel thermocouple alarm thermometer that allows you to measure the oven temperature as well as the temperature of the food you have within (e.g., a roast).  The nice part is that you can also use it just about anywhere, for example outdoors on your grill or smoker - effective temperature range is -328 to 2372F
My online cookbook: good food & friends