Author Topic: Anyone use the Bosch Universal Mixer  (Read 1491 times)

Offline PizzaEater

• I Love Pizza!
Anyone use the Bosch Universal Mixer
« on: February 24, 2006, 06:39:00 PM »
Using it for the first time on pizza dough today, seems to do a great job.  If anyone here can comment on the Bosch please do.  Any adjustments using the Bosch vs. KA?  Thanks

PE
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 06:49:35 PM by PizzaEater »

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Anyone use the Bosch Universal Mixer
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 01:39:42 PM »
I also purshased a Bosch Mixer after reading great things about it in connection with making traditional bread. The machine is very powerful and really works the dough. I do not know enough yet, or done enough experimenting to be sure, but I think the machine is so aggressive with the dough that it overheats the dough, which, I understand, is not a good thing, especially for a neopolitan dough.

One thing I have done is to hook the machine up to a "dimmer switch" that you would otherwise plug a lamp into. The idea was to slow the machine down , as even its lowest speed seems pretty fast to me. The dimmer has worked very well, and I let it work the dough for about 2 minutes before I finish with a hand knead. Again, I am no expert for sure, but wanted to pass this thought along as you experiment with the mixer. 

Good luck.

Jim

Offline PizzaEater

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 06:42:02 PM »
One thing I do know from experiance is that the Bosch kneading time is much less than a KA mixer.  That said I just finished the basic NY Style recipe, making 1 1/2 times the recipe.  The only other change was the kneading time was 8 min vs. the 15 in the recipe.  The dough/crust was outstanding. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 06:43:46 PM by PizzaEater »

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 07:43:07 PM »
I have a very old version. I completely agree about it being more efficient at kneading and incorporating the flour.

Mine tends to shimmy and shake with the drier doughs, but I believe this problem has been corrected in the newer models.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.