Author Topic: Spotty Dough from a Week Ago  (Read 2587 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: Spotty Dough from a Week Ago
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 06:24:55 AM »
Norma:  That is great you experiment so much.  I am austic like in many ways and sometimes think I am on the high end of that spectrum with the ability to function socially pretty well.  I figured my pizza dough about 25 years ago and it really hasn't changed much.  The sauce/cheeses haven't changed much either. The forum has been a great place to read about others ventures like yours but I like my formula enough to still be excited by it and the few experiments I have tried that I found here didn't excite me to mess with my formula.  My wife says I am nuts.  I eat the same breakfast everyday, the 2 slices for lunch, and if she doesn't make diner, I will make one of my 4 or so recipes I like.  I could eat the same breakfast, lunch, diner, everyday with no problem.   She thinks that crazy but I like these items so why change?  Thanks for the compliments on my operation.  I find the details stay in my head pretty easy.  The part I struggle with the most is the paperwork I have to do with money taken in, spent, and the balancing of the books.   This stuff does not interest me at all but I am having to get it figured out or the district treasurer has threatened to shut us down.  Schools are audited every year and our club, which allows us to earn money, is now the top earning club in the district.  This includes athletics and band/orchestra.   I can't believe we are earning more than the sporting events because sports are big here. 

I think it wise you stay within your limits of space and production.  That is what kills most every successfull place.  They get greedy and spread it out so thin the quality goes down via unskilled people having to move into production to meet the bigger demand.  Then they realize the bigger space costs more so the quality is usually compromised to make more money...........  I figured that number with the pizzas as my goal based on how many doughs I could refrigerate, mix, with our current space limits.  I have tons of dishwashers/cleaners working all day.  My lower functioning kids love doing this and are imaculately anal cleaners.   

Making more pizzas would be pretty easy.  I am now starting to take in some kids from what we call The School Within The School Program.  These are kids that are doing so bad achievement/behavior wise that they are not going to graduate if not somehow turned on to school real quick.  The teacher is given a lot of creative freedom and we have teamed up.  I have 1 of his students and he is a super hard worker and has natural culinary talents.  With a couple of these kids around the lunch hour we could easily knock that number out.   Also Denison University requires all its students to do community volunteer work and I have tapped into this.  I now have 1 girl doing deliveries and another volunteering every Wed.  This number will only go up as time goes on.   Denison has an entire dept dedicated to the volunteer component complete with vehicles the students use.  I teach hand stretching and if they get good at it, tossing.  Young people are the best workers when they are inspired.   They follow me blindly and mimic my moves to the T.   We also might start selling pizza at the basketball games this year.  Our team has been state champs and the gym gets a thousand people or more for games.   Things continue to unfold at a pace that is exciting but not overwhelming to often.  It sounds like you are on the same groove.   I wish your town was on our route back to NJ.  My wife has a bad back and the 10 hour direct ride really taxes her.  Walter
The Smiling With Hope Bakery- A bakery with a purpose
http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20140124/NEWS01/301240031/Bakery-run-by-students-disabilities-earns-pizza-profile

Spontobeat- the spontaneous music concept I have created and how I spontaneously live my life   http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137 200 of my most current songs http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137&content=widgets

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 08:09:58 AM »
Norma:  That is great you experiment so much.  I am austic like in many ways and sometimes think I am on the high end of that spectrum with the ability to function socially pretty well.  I figured my pizza dough about 25 years ago and it really hasn't changed much.  The sauce/cheeses haven't changed much either. The forum has been a great place to read about others ventures like yours but I like my formula enough to still be excited by it and the few experiments I have tried that I found here didn't excite me to mess with my formula.  My wife says I am nuts.  I eat the same breakfast everyday, the 2 slices for lunch, and if she doesn't make diner, I will make one of my 4 or so recipes I like.  I could eat the same breakfast, lunch, diner, everyday with no problem.   She thinks that crazy but I like these items so why change?  Thanks for the compliments on my operation.  I find the details stay in my head pretty easy.  The part I struggle with the most is the paperwork I have to do with money taken in, spent, and the balancing of the books.   This stuff does not interest me at all but I am having to get it figured out or the district treasurer has threatened to shut us down.  Schools are audited every year and our club, which allows us to earn money, is now the top earning club in the district.  This includes athletics and band/orchestra.   I can't believe we are earning more than the sporting events because sports are big here. 

I think it wise you stay within your limits of space and production.  That is what kills most every successfull place.  They get greedy and spread it out so thin the quality goes down via unskilled people having to move into production to meet the bigger demand.  Then they realize the bigger space costs more so the quality is usually compromised to make more money...........  I figured that number with the pizzas as my goal based on how many doughs I could refrigerate, mix, with our current space limits.  I have tons of dishwashers/cleaners working all day.  My lower functioning kids love doing this and are imaculately anal cleaners.   

Making more pizzas would be pretty easy.  I am now starting to take in some kids from what we call The School Within The School Program.  These are kids that are doing so bad achievement/behavior wise that they are not going to graduate if not somehow turned on to school real quick.  The teacher is given a lot of creative freedom and we have teamed up.  I have 1 of his students and he is a super hard worker and has natural culinary talents.  With a couple of these kids around the lunch hour we could easily knock that number out.   Also Denison University requires all its students to do community volunteer work and I have tapped into this.  I now have 1 girl doing deliveries and another volunteering every Wed.  This number will only go up as time goes on.   Denison has an entire dept dedicated to the volunteer component complete with vehicles the students use.  I teach hand stretching and if they get good at it, tossing.  Young people are the best workers when they are inspired.   They follow me blindly and mimic my moves to the T.   We also might start selling pizza at the basketball games this year.  Our team has been state champs and the gym gets a thousand people or more for games.   Things continue to unfold at a pace that is exciting but not overwhelming to often.  It sounds like you are on the same groove.   I wish your town was on our route back to NJ.  My wife has a bad back and the 10 hour direct ride really taxes her.  Walter

Walter,

Maybe I should have stayed the course and figured out my regular dough before I experimented so much and moved on to other doughs and other styles of pizzas.  I think from the beginning I was trying to make a pizza like I remembered from my youth and fast-forward to later years and that was a Mack's pizza from Wildwood, NJ.  I think I finally succeeded in doing something like a Mack's pizza.  At least customers have told me since I found the different cheese I use that my pizzas do taste like a Mack's pizza, or they tell me my pizzas taste a lot different than any other pizzerias in our area.  I continue to get new customers every week since I am making what I call the boardwalk style pizzas.  The thing is though that most of my customers whether new or old usually only purchase slices.  I do sell whole pizzas, but not a lot in a days time.  I also apply the sauce the same way as a Mack's pizza.  My sauce has stayed about the same though since the beginning of my pizza learning for market pizzas. 

Interesting that you could eat the same thing everyday and not get bored with that.  If you and others like your formula for your dough and your pizzas that is great.  It sure saves a lot of time fooling around.  I agree why change if things are going so good and you know your dough formulation so well.

I can understand how paperwork can get boring and time consuming.  It is good to hear your operation is earning more than the sporting events. 

I really would not say I am successful with my small operation, but at my age I would never think of going bigger.  Most days I don't even get to sit down for 5 minutes in the whole day when it is a market day.   

That great to hear making more pizzas for you would be pretty easy.  Great to hear too that you are starting to take in students that are doing so bad achievement/behavior wise and would not graduate if they were not turned on to something quick.  It sounds very good about you teaming up with the other teacher in helping those students out.  I agree that young people are the best workers when they are inspired.  You sure are a great role model and I can understand how they follow you blindly and mimic your moves to a T.  Good to hear you might start to make pizzas for the basketball games. 

I don't know which route you take to get back to NJ, but market is only about hr. or a little more off the Pa Turnpike. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 01:39:53 PM »
Norma:  I hear you on sitting down.  I figured in the 8 hours I am here I sit about 15-30 minutes a day and most of that is at the end of the day when everything is cleaned up.  Riding my bicycle to and from work really helps with waking me up on the ride in and calming me down on the ride home.  It is a beautiful paved trail and when I have some baguettes on my rear bags I often think I am in France a hundred years ago :)    I usually take 10 for my 2 slices but our room is a steady flow of staff and community people all day.  This is good because most special education rooms are isolated from the school and community- rooms at the end of halls that nobody knows what goes on in there.   So you are making the same Mack's Wildwood style pie but calling it Boardwark pie?  Funny how a name can attract more people.  The main thing is once they are in you got em!  I spent a couple weeks at Wildwood with a girlfriend in the early 70's.  I don't remember much about what I ate............ Teenage years.........     It sounds like your recent thread about expanding operations made you think about it some?  If it gets to being work and not fun, then it isn't worth it IMO.   I am in no hurry to meet my dream pizza #.   I am no spring chicken either.  Today made me realize I am satified with things as they are.  We still get to do a Mayberry like operation and that is what is great for my students and me.   We also sell a lot of reheated slices. Sounds like you have found your go to pie as well.  I always say master one thing and it will shine and jumping all over the map makes for mediocrity.  I grew up with the basic pie I make.  Eating it, making it, learning it as a kid, has left a life long taste in my soul and I know when I got it right or wrong.  My pie isn't patterned after any particular place but more of a memory of the best tastes I remember.   Star Tavern in Orange NJ is my favorite pie besides my own.  I did try to copy it a few times but lost interest.  I prefer to wait until I get back there and experience it live.    We take the PA turnpike to Philly.  So next time we head back there I will let you know.   Hopefully it will be on the day you are open.  I love eating good pizza!    Walter
http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20140124/NEWS01/301240031/Bakery-run-by-students-disabilities-earns-pizza-profile

Spontobeat- the spontaneous music concept I have created and how I spontaneously live my life   http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137 200 of my most current songs http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137&content=widgets

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 04:05:14 PM »
Norma:  I hear you on sitting down.  I figured in the 8 hours I am here I sit about 15-30 minutes a day and most of that is at the end of the day when everything is cleaned up.  Riding my bicycle to and from work really helps with waking me up on the ride in and calming me down on the ride home.  It is a beautiful paved trail and when I have some baguettes on my rear bags I often think I am in France a hundred years ago :)    I usually take 10 for my 2 slices but our room is a steady flow of staff and community people all day.  This is good because most special education rooms are isolated from the school and community- rooms at the end of halls that nobody knows what goes on in there.   So you are making the same Mack's Wildwood style pie but calling it Boardwark pie?  Funny how a name can attract more people.  The main thing is once they are in you got em!  I spent a couple weeks at Wildwood with a girlfriend in the early 70's.  I don't remember much about what I ate............ Teenage years.........     It sounds like your recent thread about expanding operations made you think about it some?  If it gets to being work and not fun, then it isn't worth it IMO.   I am in no hurry to meet my dream pizza #.   I am no spring chicken either.  Today made me realize I am satified with things as they are.  We still get to do a Mayberry like operation and that is what is great for my students and me.   We also sell a lot of reheated slices. Sounds like you have found your go to pie as well.  I always say master one thing and it will shine and jumping all over the map makes for mediocrity.  I grew up with the basic pie I make.  Eating it, making it, learning it as a kid, has left a life long taste in my soul and I know when I got it right or wrong.  My pie isn't patterned after any particular place but more of a memory of the best tastes I remember.   Star Tavern in Orange NJ is my favorite pie besides my own.  I did try to copy it a few times but lost interest.  I prefer to wait until I get back there and experience it live.    We take the PA turnpike to Philly.  So next time we head back there I will let you know.   Hopefully it will be on the day you are open.  I love eating good pizza!    Walter

Walter,

Your bicycle ride to and from work sounds nice.  With the added baguettes in your rear bags I can imagine how you must feel about being in France a hundred years ago. 

I am making something like a Mack's pizza, but it isn't identical.  I use a different sauce and a different cheese, but it tastes pretty close.  I can't call my pizzas Mack's pizzas, so that is why I call them boardwalk style pizzas.  Different customers say my boardwalk style pizzas also tastes like a Grotto's pizza and a Manco & Manco pizza.  There are pizza businesses that are at the shore.

I did start that thread about getting more foot traffic to my area, but the more I think about it I am getting busier all the time, but don't know what will happen when the weather gets colder though.  I really like making pizzas at market and talking to customers. 

I am glad you realized today you are satisfied with things are the are right now.  I know you pizzas must taste wonderful.  It is good you grew up with the kind of pizza you are making now.  I never tried Star Tavern, but I would like to some day. 

It would be great to meet you and your wife if you have a chance to swing by my way.  I am only open on Tuesdays.

Norma

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 04:45:22 PM »
Norma:  We have 2 old dogs and once they are gone we will be going back to NJ.  I spent all my summers as a kid at Ortley Beach (worst damage of the Sandy storm).  I ate lots of boardwark (seaside hts) pizza and a couple shops in Ortley Beach.  Tinos was killer pie and my favorite(not y9our average shore pie at all) but they sold the building and moved to FL.  Boardwalk pie as I remember it was a fluffier/less cooked dough, more puffy than what we typically had in Essex County, with more cheese (mozz only) and a blander sauce.  Three brothers from italy use to sell huge slices but I found it bland.  Costi's in Ortley Beach was another favorite.  Star Tavern is nothing like my pies but man do they do them right!  I guess your winters are like my summers when school closes.  I miss it.  Like you, I enjoy the interaction with customers.  Our place has no formal boundry between the cooking area and customer area so everybody is in the kitchen so to speak.  If we are busy on something people heat their own slice, cut their own, and such.   Many people give me a $20 bill and we write it on the white board and they deduct as they get stuff over the week.  It reminds me of the small Italian grocery store on our block in Bellville NJ growing up.  Jerry and Joe's it was callled.  I would go there often for my mother.  They would use the paper grocery bag to add up the bill -that was your reciept and if you didn't have the money or enough money they would write it on a paper and pin it to a wooden support post behind the counter.  They knew everyone in the neighborhood and I remember how good that felt.  In my own small way I try to carry on that tradition.  Feed the hungry with a smile and love whether they have the cash on hand or not.   they will always pay you back and then some.  That is good you have your own style pie.  I hope we get to try it.  When we do head back I will try to make it on a Tuesday.   Walter
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:47:27 PM by waltertore »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 05:00:25 PM »
Norma:  That is great you experiment so much.  I am austic like in many ways and sometimes think I am on the high end of that spectrum with the ability to function socially pretty well.

I knew it! And I guess that's one reason why I've been looking very forward to meeting you, Walter. (It'll happen soon.) My mom seems convinced that I have Asperger Syndrome, and I've even considered it myself. My conclusion is that I exhibit a lot of Asperger traits, but I'm not an Aspie. I'm just kind of eccentric perhaps.

Some people play a bunch of instruments at the same time; others walk across continents for no reason. Most other people spend their lives doing what they're told.

I'm thinking you're one of us, Norma, as is Scott. I hope someday I can hang out with all of you at the same time.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 07:03:56 PM »
Ryan:  That meet up would be nice and I look forward to meeting you.  Walter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 10:42:33 PM »
Norma:  We have 2 old dogs and once they are gone we will be going back to NJ.  I spent all my summers as a kid at Ortley Beach (worst damage of the Sandy storm).  I ate lots of boardwark (seaside hts) pizza and a couple shops in Ortley Beach.  Tinos was killer pie and my favorite(not y9our average shore pie at all) but they sold the building and moved to FL.  Boardwalk pie as I remember it was a fluffier/less cooked dough, more puffy than what we typically had in Essex County, with more cheese (mozz only) and a blander sauce.  Three brothers from italy use to sell huge slices but I found it bland.  Costi's in Ortley Beach was another favorite.  Star Tavern is nothing like my pies but man do they do them right!  I guess your winters are like my summers when school closes.  I miss it.  Like you, I enjoy the interaction with customers.  Our place has no formal boundry between the cooking area and customer area so everybody is in the kitchen so to speak.  If we are busy on something people heat their own slice, cut their own, and such.   Many people give me a $20 bill and we write it on the white board and they deduct as they get stuff over the week.  It reminds me of the small Italian grocery store on our block in Bellville NJ growing up.  Jerry and Joe's it was callled.  I would go there often for my mother.  They would use the paper grocery bag to add up the bill -that was your reciept and if you didn't have the money or enough money they would write it on a paper and pin it to a wooden support post behind the counter.  They knew everyone in the neighborhood and I remember how good that felt.  In my own small way I try to carry on that tradition.  Feed the hungry with a smile and love whether they have the cash on hand or not.   they will always pay you back and then some.  That is good you have your own style pie.  I hope we get to try it.  When we do head back I will try to make it on a Tuesday.   Walter

Walter,

Thanks for telling me about your youth and where you spent your summers and the pizzas you ate at the shore.  If you visited Seaside Heights Marucas pizza was also an example of a boardwalk style pizza that started in Trenton, NJ.  I don't know if you ever ate pizza at Marucas or not.  That pizza is part of my journey on the Tomato Pie thread. 

I heard that Star Tavern pizzas are a lot different than other pizzas and that is one reason I would like to try them sometime. 

My winters at market are okay, but the tourists don't come as much in the winter.  Winter can either be snowy, not to bad or a mixture.  Market is open all year long, but in the winter there are not a lot of outside stands open. 

I really like the way your place.  It reminds me of a store that was near me where I grew up.  There if people did not have enough money they just paid when they could.  That store started many years ago and I saw photos of when they had those high ladders to get things off high places.  That place reminds me of the Italian grocery store on your block in Bellville, NJ.  I like what you said in feed the hungry with a smile. 

Hope you get to visit market too.  It is a very big farmers market with many foods.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 10:47:16 PM »

I'm thinking you're one of us, Norma, as is Scott. I hope someday I can hang out with all of you at the same time.

Ryan,

I have no idea if I exhibit any Asperger traits.  I am different, but no one every mentioned that to me before.  It would be nice to meet sometime.  I have met Scott two times when members went to NY.

Norma

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 06:09:36 AM »
Norma:  I never ate at Marucas.  I went by it hundreds of times but at $1 a slice when I was a kid that meant like 20 games of pinball in the arcades.  I remember the pie and it looked strange to me and money was very sparse in my life so I stuck to the shops I knew.  I will have to try it next time I am at the shore. My mother now lives in Toms  River which is only a few minutes away.  If you ever figure the star tavern pie out that is one I would love to taste! The oil on their pans and the baking process adds a unique flavor to the crust.  Walter

http://startavern.net/photos.html

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 07:46:00 AM »
Norma:  I never ate at Marucas.  I went by it hundreds of times but at $1 a slice when I was a kid that meant like 20 games of pinball in the arcades.  I remember the pie and it looked strange to me and money was very sparse in my life so I stuck to the shops I knew.  I will have to try it next time I am at the shore. My mother now lives in Toms  River which is only a few minutes away.  If you ever figure the star tavern pie out that is one I would love to taste! The oil on their pans and the baking process adds a unique flavor to the crust.  Walter

http://startavern.net/photos.html

Walter,

I can understand why you never tried Marucas pizza since it was 1.00 a slice when you were younger.  My oldest daughter brought me some slices of Marucas pizza home from the shore this summer and really I was not impressed with them.  Marucas did burn in the recent fire and think I read somewhere that they temporally set up somewhere else.  There used to be a Marucas near the old fairgrounds in Trenton.  I think that was the original Marucas.  The first time I went to Trenton Bill's near Trenton we went to Joey's Pizza of Hamilton http://www.joeyspizzaofhamilton.com/  Joey's Pizza is somehow related to the original Marucas I think.  The pizza at Joey's Pizza in Hamilton was delicious in every way in my opinion.   

Lol, I don't know how I would be able to figure out how to make a Star Tavern pizza, but if I ever get to visit there I will watch what they do and see what I can find out.  Adam Kuban on Slice has been trying to replicate a Star Tavern pizza for awhile.  I have an old pan that I can cut apart if I ever get an idea of how to make a Star Tavern pizza.  I have looked at many photos of Star Tavern pizzas.

Norma

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 12:55:29 PM »
Ryan,

I have no idea if I exhibit any Asperger traits.  I am different, but no one every mentioned that to me before.  It would be nice to meet sometime.  I have met Scott two times when members went to NY.

Norma

I'll try to keep from derailing this thread any further after this post, but I think you may be interested in knowing why I said what I said. Here's why:

I tend to get really focused on making (and attempting to clone) particular styles of pizza, which sometimes may be very alien to me, if not completely alien to me; which also tend to be styles that no one else seems to know how to replicate very well (or at all). For example, Tommy's style laminated cracker crust and Giordano's style stuffed pizza. I've contributed many pages of rhetoric and pictures in an effort to solve these two styles of pizza (one of which I've never had), attempting to share every little detail about almost every pizza I make; sometimes to the point where it surely gets very confusing to most readers. It's almost like a science journal, I suppose, yet sometimes built heavily upon very unscientific thought processes.

Without putting too much thought into it, Norma, you seem to be the only other member who operates or functions in a similar manner. But I'd say you take it to a whole other level. Which is cool. (Also, you are infinitely more polite than me.) These boards are filled with people who are obsessed with pizza, but I think you and I are kinda unique in our expression of obsession; particularly because we both seek to fully understand many diverse styles of pizza, sharing every detail of every success and every failure, whereas most people seem to keep themselves in a comfort zone of maybe one or two different pizza styles (and usually don't share their pizza failures).

It seems fazzari might come from a similar mould, as well, but it's hard to say for sure since he has so much less time to devote to the boards than either you or I. I'm really beginning to appreciate fazzari's approach and methodology, which somehow mostly escaped me for almost three years.

I'd say Peter is a lot like us, too, yet totally different at the same time. There's no one on this planet like Peter, and there probably never will be. There will be a Wikipedia page about Pete-zza someday; maybe even text books. However, they probably won't be able to say much about Peter on a personal level because Peter is so secretive about his identity and personal life. Peter is Clark Kent.

Scott123, I suspect, may be akin to John Frusciante (former guitarist of the Red Hot Chili Peppers): Knowledgeable about many different things, both pizza-related and not, but a virtuoso of NY style pizza and everything that constitutes NY style pizza, like no one else will ever be (and probably a little awkward socially). I envision Scott as a bit like Rain Man (but certainly not to the point of totally freaking out whenever a little kitchen smoke sets off a smoke detector). In a word, passionate.

I think Chicago Bob fits into the "A Little Different" club, as well, although I feel like he probably tends to obscure a lot of knowledge and personality traits behind goofiness. In other words, I think Bob knows a hell of a lot more about pizza than most long-term active pizzamaking.com members realize.

And obviously Walter takes a ton of pride in his membership in the "A Little Different" club.

I'm very analytical.

P.S. - If anything I've said here seems offensive or insensitive, please let me know so I can edit or delete it. I did not intend to offend anyone, but I've come to realize that a lot of people seem to be easily offended by things that would never offend me. (Like if someone revealed publicly that I'm kinda quirky or strange or unique, even though it's already obvious to everyone who knows anything about me.) To me, the things I've said in this post are compliments, or small celebrations of uniqueness. The people I've mentioned in this post fascinate me. If that did not come through clearly in my words, please accept my sincere apology.

Offline scott123

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 05:07:07 PM »
Scott123, I suspect, may be akin to John Frusciante (former guitarist of the Red Hot Chili Peppers): Knowledgeable about many different things, both pizza-related and not, but a virtuoso of NY style pizza and everything that constitutes NY style pizza, like no one else will ever be (and probably a little awkward socially). I envision Scott as a bit like Rain Man (but certainly not to the point of totally freaking out whenever a little kitchen smoke sets off a smoke detector). In a word, passionate.

One Minute to Wapner! :-D

I'm not sure where this term came from, but with the emergence of online forums, the 'smug scientific b**ard' (SSB) rose to greater prominence.  I've always been a bit of a geek (no, I don't collect comic books or play video games ;) ) but, over the last 20 years, I've ramped up my online geekiness a bit in an attempt to garner the coveted SSB crown.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still socially awkward, but I'm probably a skootch less than you'd expect me to be.

Thanks for the exceedingly kind words.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 08:06:31 PM by scott123 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 05:08:22 PM »
Ryan,

I know you tend to get really focused on making and attempting to clone particular styles of pizza.  There is nothing wrong with doing that.  It is hard though to try and clone a pizza you never tasted.  I just found that out on the tomato pie thread when I actually tasted a De Lorenzo pizza.  I never would have thought that pizza would have tasted like it did if I actually would not have gone to De Lorenzo/Robbinsville.

I have been on reverse engineering and cloning threads, but on those threads other members and Peter helped out.  I just like to see what make different pizzas different and also see if I like them.  Of course I also learn a lot on the journey.  I never could have worked on clones of pizzas alone, because even my math skills are bad.  I agree that some of the threads do get long and it is hard for members or guests to decide what to try when they want to make that style of pizza if there are many pages in those threads.  I think most guests that come here and even a lot of new members are just looking for a recipe and then  quickly disappear.  If I was younger I would not have time to do all the experiments I do.  Most members stick to one style or a couple of styles of pizzas, but some do branch out in learning about different pizzas they never tasted.  John (fazzari) also likes to experiment and has helped many members here on the forum.  Of course there are members like Craig that have taken his style of pizza to a whole new level.  Chau is also a member that experiments a lot and makes great pizza.  I don't want to miss any members (and can't think of all of them right now) that do experiment, but they are a lot more than you might realize from in the past and in the present.  My friend Steve (Ev) does experiment too, but doesn't post like I do.  I was fortunate that he let me use his wood-fired ovens to learn more about Neapolitan pizzas.  I agree that is no one else like Peter though and probably never will be.  I did meet Peter at Craig's Pizza Summit this year and he seems like a very normal person.  I know Scott123 is very passionate about NY style pizza and tries to help members that want to make that style of pizza.  Bill the moderator also experiments a lot.  I could list lots of other members that experiment, but they don't post about every experiment, but they are great pizza makers.  Walter is also different and what he does right now sure is inspiring.   

You did not offend me in any way.  I think I throw myself into anything I want to learn and probably always have.  When my late husband and I had our caramel popcorn stand I tried to find every way different to make all kinds of popcorn and the candies we made.  When I had my funnel cake stand with other foods I did the same thing.  I think what I do come mostly from my father.  He was always a tinker and could do anything.  He was also always very curious about something he didn't know how to do and did things until he knew how to do them.  There is also a lot of bipolar on my father's side of the family.  Most of those people were and are very creative, but bipolar sure is not a good problem to have.  I am glad I didn't inherit that from my father's side of the family, but saw many, uncles, cousins and their children go though many troubling times and some of them still do.  I even had a great uncle that was very different and I believe he might have been bipolar too.  He used to walk around in the winter with no shoes on and sure was not very social, but he did win a Medal at the Olympics years ago. 

I think what makes different people tick here on the forum is interesting most of the time.  If the world would not have people with different personalities it would be a boring world.

Norma

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2013, 12:41:41 PM »
Walter,

My oldest daughter brought me some slices of Marucas pizza home from the shore this summer and really I was not impressed with them.  Marucas did burn in the recent fire and think I read somewhere that they temporally set up somewhere else. 

Lol, I don't know how I would be able to figure out how to make a Star Tavern pizza, but if I ever get to visit there I will watch what they do and see what I can find out.  Adam Kuban on Slice has been trying to replicate a Star Tavern pizza for awhile.  I have an old pan that I can cut apart if I ever get an idea of how to make a Star Tavern pizza.  I have looked at many photos of Star Tavern pizzas.

Norma

Norma:  Maybe I will pass on the Seaside Park Marucus.  The video on their shop from some food channel show I found on an internet seach did not impress me.  A dough press, and the final pie looked not very tasty to me. 

I have watched them make star pies for most of my youth.  Next time I am there I will try to do some detective work like looking for bags of flour, sauce, and such.  When I go in a pizzeria I tend to get totally mesmorized and tunnel vison by watching the dough balls come out of the dough boxes, how many boxes are at room temp, how big a sauce bucket they have, how is their cheese grated and if it seems to be a blend or not, the consistency of the dough balls coming out at room temp going on the bench, how people make/assemble the pies, the way they cook in the oven when the doors open, and how they come out of the oven.  I onced asked a pizza cook at star what temp they ran the ovens at and they said 450.  I have learned growing up in NJ that 99% of the pizza makers will look you right in the eye and answer all your questions with a sincere look that would make me believe in them forever, but in reality it is usually all BS.   Walter
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 12:44:10 PM by waltertore »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2013, 01:11:22 PM »
Norma:  Maybe I will pass on the Seaside Park Marucus.  The video on their shop from some food channel show I found on an internet seach did not impress me.  A dough press, and the final pie looked not very tasty to me. 

I have watched them make star pies for most of my youth.  Next time I am there I will try to do some detective work like looking for bags of flour, sauce, and such.  When I go in a pizzeria I tend to get totally mesmorized and tunnel vison by watching the dough balls come out of the dough boxes, how many boxes are at room temp, how big a sauce bucket they have, how is their cheese grated and if it seems to be a blend or not, the consistency of the dough balls coming out at room temp going on the bench, how people make/assemble the pies, the way they cook in the oven when the doors open, and how they come out of the oven.  I onced asked a pizza cook at star what temp they ran the ovens at and they said 450.  I have learned growing up in NJ that 99% of the pizza makers will look you right in the eye and answer all your questions with a sincere look that would make me believe in them forever, but in reality it is usually all BS.   Walter

Walter,

I can understand if you pass on Marucus.

That is nice of if the next time you go to Star Tavern you will see what you can find out.  I am kind of like you when it comes to watching everything, but sometimes there is too much to watch in one visit to a pizzeria to really find out enough.  I think you would be a great detective.  ;D

Norma

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
Hi Norma,

If you're interested I did a 3 day cold ferment with 62% hydration, 1.5% sugar, 2% oil & salt, and I had a spotty dough. My dough was actually under-fermented a bit, even after 3 hours warm up. I used about 0.09% IDY.

- Josh

Josh

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2013, 11:01:19 AM »
Hi Norma,

If you're interested I did a 3 day cold ferment with 62% hydration, 1.5% sugar, 2% oil & salt, and I had a spotty dough. My dough was actually under-fermented a bit, even after 3 hours warm up. I used about 0.09% IDY.

- Josh

Hi Josh,

Where did you post about your spotty dough that was under-fermented a bit, even after a 3 hr. warm up using IDY?  I would be interested in seeing what methods you used.

Norma

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2013, 11:09:14 AM »
I didn't post anything Norma, but if you have any specific questions about my methods I'd be happy to try and answer them.
Josh

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2013, 11:24:08 AM »
I didn't post anything Norma, but if you have any specific questions about my methods I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Josh,

The questions I would like to ask if what kind of flour did you use, what mixing method did you use, when did you add the IDY, if you took the final dough temperature and at what temperature did you cold ferment for 3 days to get spotting on a dough.  Your IDY amount sure wasn't a lot for a 3 day cold ferment.

Thanks!

Norma

pizzapan