Author Topic: Springform Cake Pan? Can't get my deep dish out of the dish!  (Read 2113 times)

Offline alohashirt

• Stuck in a deep dish wasteland
Springform Cake Pan? Can't get my deep dish out of the dish!
« on: September 25, 2013, 08:11:46 AM »
I finally have my crust and sauce right where I want it, thanks to this forum. But every single time, I wreck at least one piece getting my pizza out of the pan. The problem is not that the crust sticks to the pan: I use a Calphalon non-stick pan greased up with shortening. It bakes the crust to perfection. I use the widest plastic spatula (flipper) I could find (about 4.5 inches wide). I can slide it under the bottom of the pizza and lift. The problem is that SOME of the crust always breaks in this process.

I've tried many times to tilt the pan and flip the pizza out. It looks so easy when Malnati does it on all those YouTube videos. But for me, the results have been disaster. The tomatoes start sliding to one side of the pizza. Then it breaks into a mess.

I'm convinced that I'll never get the wrist action of flipping down. Nor do I want to ruin lots of pizzas trying. Is a springform pan the answer? Has anybody achieved good results with one? Other Ideas? Thanks in advance!

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
Re: Springform Cake Pan? Can't get my deep dish out of the dish!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:51:36 AM »
I use cake decorator spetula to lift one side just enough to slide in my 10" round metal pizza peel.
Bert,

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 10:37:37 AM »
Yes myself and others on this forum (including Pete-zza) have successfully used springform pans in the past.  They also make pans similar to spring form but with a static outside ring, where the pizza is pushed out the top from the bottom.  Hard to explain but maybe someone can link a photo.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 05:59:17 PM »
I cut and serve from the pan, just like all restaurants do.  I think I've only seen 'em removed from the pan for takeout, but it's been a while...

Offline pizza is love

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 06:39:52 PM »
I cut and serve from the pan, just like all restaurants do.  I think I've only seen 'em removed from the pan for takeout, but it's been a while...
^^^^^This^^^^^^^

Ive been making DD and Stuffed for a long time and always cut in the pan unless there personal pans

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 10:38:20 PM »
Obviously cutting in the pan is a splendid solution, but let's just pretend that's not a viable option for a moment.

You really haven't revealed any useful information yet. Like how deep is your pan? What's the diameter? The diameter shouldn't really matter much, but if the pan is deeper than 2", I'd expect some trouble getting a pizza out of it.

Or maybe you're obsessive-compulsive, and everything has to be perfect. (It's OK if you are. I'm sure most of us are.) Sounds like you go extra heavy on the tomatoes. You need to post a picture of a baked pizza in the pan.

Offline alohashirt

• Stuck in a deep dish wasteland
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 07:37:53 AM »
You really haven't revealed any useful information yet. Like how deep is your pan? What's the diameter? The diameter shouldn't really matter much, but if the pan is deeper than 2", I'd expect some trouble getting a pizza out of it.

The pan is 9" in diameter by 2" deep. It's been sooo long since I've escaped from the pizza wasteland in which I live that I've forgotten whether the real pizza places serve out of the pan. My favorite Chi-town spots are Giordano's and Eduardo's, with Malnati's as a close second. If serving out of the pan is good enough for these places, it's certainly good enough for me.

Are there any Chicago residents out there who can tell me authoritatively if this is what they do? I admit to being a bit of an obsessive perfectionist who wants to get as close as possible to replicating the Chicago experience. I know it's crazy... but it brings back all sorts of great memories of life in Wrigleyville!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 10:00:27 AM »
I use a deep-dish pan gripper and a cake decorating spatula with a narrow bendable blade. I first grab the pan with the gripper, then run the spatula blade around the pan to make sure the crust is fully released from the pan, then slide the spatula blade down the side of the crust and with a slight flip of the wrist I slide the spatula blade under the pizza to help guide it out of the pan onto a cooling rack. American Metalcraft www.amnow.com has the heavy weight aluminum removeable bottom pans (3" deep X 8, 9 or 10" diameter). You may need to season these pans though. Or you can get the same type of pan with a black, non-stick coating from Lloyd Pans <www.lloydpans.com>
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 02:13:04 PM »
Are there any Chicago residents out there who can tell me authoritatively if this is what they do? I admit to being a bit of an obsessive perfectionist who wants to get as close as possible to replicating the Chicago experience. I know it's crazy... but it brings back all sorts of great memories of life in Wrigleyville!

Malnati's, Uno, Due, Pequod's, and countless others serve from the pan.  Edwardo's and Giordano's and countless others don't.  IOW, either way is "authentic." 

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 03:23:11 PM »
Alohashirt:

I have used a springform pan before as an experiment for a deep dish pizza, mainly due to the same issue you brought up. The pizza came out okay, but the texture of the crust was markedly different than previous and subsequent deep dish pizzas that I have made, and so I have not gone back to using it.  My current method of removing the pizza involves 3-4 spatulas, so it requires 2 people.  Definitely not ideal, but it comes out rather easily (no sticking) and I prefer it to trying to work with the springform pan again.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 03:34:37 PM »
Mike;
The Lloyd Pans item that you are looking for is available in both 2" and 3" depth and 3" to 16" in diameter.
Their product number is PCC-12-2-DK for the 12" pan that is 2" deep. if you just change the 12 to the diameter you want and the 2 to either 2 or 3 depending upon the depth that you want, you should find what you are looking for. DK is their designation for their Dura Kote (black, non-stick) finish.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 06:03:24 PM »
I use a deep-dish pan gripper and a cake decorating spatula with a narrow bendable blade. I first grab the pan with the gripper, then run the spatula blade around the pan to make sure the crust is fully released from the pan, then slide the spatula blade down the side of the crust and with a slight flip of the wrist I slide the spatula blade under the pizza to help guide it out of the pan onto a cooling rack.
That's pretty much the same thing I do, which I guess is a trick that was branded into me while I was a driver at Pizza Hut a couple decades ago. Since I generally take pictures of my uncut deep dish pizzas immediately after pulling them from the oven, I usually don't serve them in the pan. To remove pizzas from the pan, I start by using a red American Metalcraft pan gripper (model number N9494) to hold the pan. I like this gripper a lot better than the more common chrome grippers, because the chrome gripper always makes me feel like I might drop the pan.

Holding the pan with my left hand, tilting it slightly, I use a very flimsy metal spatula-like device to lift one side of the pizza out of the pan with my right hand, then use the spatula to guide the pizza onto my cutting peel as I pull the pan away with my left hand. (Actually, I think there is a picture somewhere of me doing this. Let's see if I can find it.)

I don't know if the picture helps at all, but here it is.

EDIT: Oops, I guess this picture is from before I had the red pan gripper. Pot holders work, too. Note: The black plastic thing on the left side of the picture is sitting there because I quickly learned that it is useless for this purpose. After trying to use it to remove the pizza, I looked for something that I'd actually be able to get under the pizza. So I guess that picture is the first time I used the flimsy metal piece. Also, that makes me think you're probably just using the wrong kind of tool to get under the pizza and lift it easily, because I simply could not do it with the black plastic thing.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 06:12:27 PM by Aimless Ryan »

Offline BTB

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 09:16:31 AM »
Alohashirt, my technique is similar to The Dough Doctor's and as others have expressed here.  See
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6480.msg174765.html#msg174765 .  Only practice, trial and error are the best teachers here.

I do not favor springform pans.  As had been expressed many times elsewhere on this site, one of the risks of using a springform pan (which none of the classic deep dish pizzerias use) is the potential for leaks of oil, shortening or whatever leaking out from the bottom of the pan resulting in possible oven fires and smoke alarms going off all over the house!  I'm not saying that this always happens, but many had earlier reported on this unfortunate result.

--BTB
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:24:42 AM by BTB »