Author Topic: KitchenAid 7 Quart Mixer  (Read 5438 times)

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
KitchenAid 7 Quart Mixer
« on: September 25, 2013, 01:43:33 PM »
Not necessarily for pizza dough.   I have a Bosch Compact mixer that I use for my pizza dough and I'm very happy with it.  I got rid of my old Artisan Tilt-Head KA because the Bosch is better for pizza dough, and it didn't match my remodeled kitchen colors.  But with the holidays coming, I'm realizing I used it for a lot of other things and thinking of getting another KA.  Seems like the 7 quart Pro Line model has great reviews, and is better quality (metal gears, quieter, much more power).  Twice as much $, of course.  Anyone have one and love/hate it?  All feedback welcomed!   

Offline bbqchuck

Re: KitchenAid 7 Quart Mixer
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 01:59:13 PM »
It seems like you can find an inordinate amount of reviews that have unhappy owners where they have failed mixers.  When I was looking into more attachments for my wife's old fixed head 5 qt KA stand mixer (heavy duty home use model back in the mid 90's) I got cautions from a number of members about overloading it. 

So, I started looking into alternatives like the 6 and 7 qt KA stand mixers negative experiences were noted on those as well.   I have no idea if these failed from frequent use involving full bowls of low hydration dough or lower amounts.  But given the expense of a big KA stand mixer, I just looked at other alternatives. 

I looked at getting a Hobart N50 mixer, which is a 5qt but evidently built to be tough as nails.  They run $2200-2400 ish new.  I've seen them as low as around $500-600 for one that looks like it was from the industrial revolution timeframe.  Given the cost, I eliminated this mixer for my limited use.

I looked at the bread machines like the Electrolux.  Mixed reviews.   Then found a lot of positive comments about the Bosch Universal Plus.  That's what I ended up with.  I haven't used it yet.   I'm thinking of ordering the small bowl, since I normally do one or two pies worth for 12-14" pizzas.

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 02:13:47 PM »
Personally I love my KA. I've got the artisan tilt-head and I've got no complaints (so far), it will be 1 year old in December. As far as dough goes my batches have been around 450-550G and it's handled that just fine, I've even made a low hydration dough for bagels and it took that with no problems. From what I've read the attachments are a hit or miss - the ice cream bowl I bought churned out some amazing frozen custards but the meat grinder apparently spews ground metal shavings into whatever you're processing, I've got enough iron in my diet so I passed on that. I think for the price and what you'll use it for it's not a bad option, especially if you can use a 20% off BB&B coupon to bring the cost down.
If Tetris has taught me anything, it’s that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 03:42:18 PM »
I have a KitchenAid Artisan 5 qt.  I have never really liked it because it makes so much noise. Even on the lowest speed it makes this very annoying high pitched whine. At the higher speeds it's even more annoying.  My dogs run out of the room when its running.  I do use it but I don't like it. It does work pretty well but I wish it were quieter.  I've never heard another one so maybe it is louder than it should be.  Do others notice this problem? 

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »
Tin,
No problem, but yes, my wife's K5SS lift bowl mixer makes the same straight-cut gear whine.  My dogs don't care, but they are bird dogs that stand next a shotgun without flinching, lay in front of the vacuum cleaner until you bump them, etc. (but one of them jumps when my wife sneezes  :-D)

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 04:06:02 PM »
I have a KitchenAid Pro 600 (6 quarts).  I like it a lot.  I have seen some reviews that were quite positive and others complaining.

4 / 5 stars on Amazon (although that is general and not pizza specific).

Negatives:

I have noticed that if it has a heavy load and you start it (such as after a rest), it will groan a bit and not want to go unless you flip it up to a higher speed to get it going. 
I wish it was a tilt up type.  That seems easier to use to move the bowl out and/or change the attachments

Positives (other than it has never failed me and seems to do a good job):

Attachments!  I bought the KPRA Pasta attachment and it does a great job.  There are other attachments, too.

- Mitch

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 04:59:31 PM »
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 06:24:13 PM »
I haven't figured out their hp rating system.  They clain 1 1/3 hp and yet state that it's a 500 watt motor.   Straight energy conversion is 750 watts = 1 hp.  ??? ???

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 07:37:14 PM »
I wish it was a tilt up type.  That seems easier to use to move the bowl out and/or change the attachments

I have a model with a bowl lift, rather than a tilting head, and there's no way I'd trade it for a tilting-head model (even though I've had to get it refurbished because at least one of the gears stripped, which is a whole different topic). Stiff doughs can be the enemy of any mixer, but thanks to the bowl lift design, I've found a way to mix very stiff dough without worrying about killing the machine again. I'm not sure it's possible to make these stiff doughs with tilting-head mixers. Also, if I had a c-hook, as is standard with the tilting head mixers, it would drive me nuts. (I have a spiral hook.)

Offline Mario D

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 08:55:49 PM »
I love my KA 7qt commercial mixer. It is pretty tuff and pretty quiet. Check out the video, kneading 8 280gram dough balls using caputo flour. I have made 10 280gram balls at one time and NO problems at all.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 02:57:32 PM »
Robyn:

I just received the latest issue of Cooks Illustrated in which have their most recent review of stand mixers.  I thought this may be helpful to you.

- Mitch

Highly Recommended: Kitchenaid Proline 7 quart
Recommended: Kitchenaid Professional 6 quart and the Kitchenaid Classic Plus 4.5 quart tilt head (this was the best buy)

Reccomended with Reservations: Waring 7 quart and Cusinart 5.5 quart

Not Recommended: Vollrath 7 quart, Cuisinart 7 quart, Bosch Universal Plus and Breville Scraper Mix Pro

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 08:32:57 PM »
Mitch,  I don't get Cooks Illustrated,  why did they not like the Bosch Universal Plus?

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 08:56:42 PM »
Terrible score for kneading - 1/2 star out of 3.  The comment was "for single batches of dough, the flour never made contact with the dough hook."

- Mitch

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 07:18:28 AM »
Mitch,  thanks.  I assumed it had to do with small batches, otherwise, it is a workhorse.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 12:03:59 PM »
Barry,
I bought a Bosch Univ Plus a couple weeks ago.  I tried to use it for a small single pizza batch.  No worky.

So, this morning, I ordered a small bowl/dough blade as well as some other attachments for my wife to make cookies in the large bowl.  I'll give the small bowl a try. 

If it doesn't work out well, it goes on the block and I'll get a N50. 

Offline Michael130207

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 12:27:28 PM »
The Kitchenaid website addresses the hp issue with the following statement.

KitchenAid® NSF Certified® Commercial Series 8-Qt Bowl Lift Stand Mixer with 1.3 HP Motor1* *Motor horsepower for our mixer motors was measured using a dynamometer, a machine laboratories routinely use to measure the mechanical power of motors. Our 1.3 horsepower (HP) motor reference reflects the horsepower rating of the motor itself and not the mixer’s horsepower output to the mixer bowl. This robust motor, the backbone of our new mixer, delivers .44 HP to the bowl enabling your mixer to deliver consistent power to small and large loads with less heat build-up; resulting in years of dependable mixing. When combined with and guided by our new advanced motor control board, this is our longest lasting and most efficient motor yet. Simply put, our new, highly efficient, special purpose motor delivers the power you need when you need it.

In any case the price that Mmmph's link offers is really tempting. I wonder if this machine is really a more powerful, durable, commercial machine or mainly marketing.
Michael

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 08:38:03 PM »
Bbqchuck,  I only use mixers for kneading bread dough and pizza dough, so I can't speak about general uses ( cookie dough, cakes, etc, ) but I have owned a Universal, a Concept  ( like a Universal, but it has two different styles of hooks) and a Compact, and nothing beats the Compact for small dough balls, or high hydration, or both.   

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 09:00:07 AM »
. I wonder if this machine is really a more powerful, durable, commercial machine or mainly marketing.

I thought I had read something that stated the motor in the larger unit was a worm drive as compared to gear driven.  If that is the case then the worm drive IS definitely a much more dependable unit.  I'm still searching my files for the info I had seen so at the moment take it for what it's worth.
tom

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 12:22:22 PM »
the 6 qt mixer has a worm drive,  mine has stripped twice and am on my third.  Mixer is about 5 years old. 

I have moved to the Bosch Compact for my dough and have not decided what will replace the 6 qt kitchen aid when it goes again

Offline Sartanely

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 02:18:09 PM »
I had to return a Bosch universal mixer after a week of use as it was not kneading the dough and was pain to clean. Decided to get KA 7qt mixer and have it since 2011. It is much better than Bosch.  I  use it almost every day. Making of 1500g bread flour of various hydration doughs for different products about 3-4 times a week. Mixer Manual says to use it on 2nd speed only for kneading the dough but the problem is that  the  dough does not develop gluten properly  at 2nd speed. So I moved up with speeds like kneading 60-65 hydration doughs at 4-5 speed for 10-15 minutes and 65-80h at speed 8-10 for same time. At this speeds the mixer starts  walking around and you have to baby sit it during this time. I also mix 40% hydration dough for 5 minutes at speed 1 but after the dough getters as a ball then the mixer starts struggling and I stop it. Due to this mixing types I recently saw a crack line by the cylinder. Motor still works fine at all speeds. I called KA and explained them the problem as I knew I had a2years warranty but it turned out that I actually have 5 years instead of two which is really amazing. They will send a new unit with return label to send back the old one. KA costumer service was amazing as I got someone on the phone directly right away. Now I started thinking to sell KA and get more powerful mixer like Hobart n50 or other but with the price and size it looks not practical and also looks like it is not quite good for dough making. Most likely I will keep the KA mixer.
It is exceptionally good at whipping eggs and mixing cake batters. Overall I really happy with the mixer and KA service. I do not think the other KA mixers mixer like 600, professional series are as good as 7 and 8 qt ones
I think my mixer experience and story helps you to make you decision.