Author Topic: Using COLD water and flour at 40 degrees  (Read 1063 times)

Offline wayno

• grandson loves PIZZA
Using COLD water and flour at 40 degrees
« on: February 28, 2006, 08:13:58 PM »
I just got The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart. 

In the book, he recommends using 40 degree water and flour (placed in the fridge the day before mixing). Has anyone tried this super cold mix of flour and water?

I will try it this weekend and post my results.

Wayno
At night, I either sleep, make love or dream about making pizza.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Using COLD water and flour at 40 degrees
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 08:59:29 PM »
Wayno,

Member Les is the forum's expert on the use of very cold water, but I have also experimented in the past with using ice and frozen flour to make dough. The results that both Les and I achieved were reported at this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1931.0.html. What I did is discussed mainly in Replies 28 and 34 but there are other posts, including those of Les, that bear on the subject and make for very interesting reading, especially Les' substantial contributions to the "cold" dough phenomenon. 

Peter

Offline sebdesn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 09:24:27 PM »
I did not read all of the other thread but I did make some of reinharts cold fermented baguettes and they were outstanding, a flavor that was wonderful.   
  Sooo, then I tried the cold fermented pizza recipe and was very disapointed... it was not good at all. It was way to soft and did not have the flavor of the baguette..I did leave it in the reefer for an  extra day, and think the yeast degraded the gluten, the same way sourdough "eats" the gluten if over fermented,,,May try it again someday...
Bud

Offline nostalgia

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 11:02:26 AM »
Wayno,

I tried the same recipe this weekend.   Here are my results with photos:

Linky to thread

Long story short, the finished product is very flavorful; some of the best crust I've ever had.  However, both times I tried it, I found the dough much too slack when following the directions.  I'm going to try using a little less hydration next time, so the dough ball just clears the bottom of the bowl.  Go for a sticky French bread consistency, rather than a slightly stiff Ciabatta consistency.

HTH!

-Joe