Author Topic: Does anyone use smoked provolone??  (Read 3108 times)

Offline lilpizzaplace_ohio

• I Love Pizza!
Does anyone use smoked provolone??
« on: February 28, 2006, 11:49:36 PM »
Ive noticed almost everyone saying they use mozzarella on here....which is great! But at our pizzeria we use smoked provolone, which is a lil more expensive tham moz....I think moz runs a lot, which is nice, b/c we use lots of cheese, and the smoked provolone doesnt run.....Anyone else like or dislike smoked provolone being used? Are there any benefits to using it??
lilpizzaplace

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Does anyone use smoked provolone??
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 12:47:50 AM »
Yes, that is a great way to get some extra flavor in the pie.  I would think that straight smoked provolone would be very strong though!

Offline lilpizzaplace_ohio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 01:06:51 AM »
the shredded smoked provolone is strong, but too strong..its delicious..I think its better than mozerella..but moz is def easier to get your hands on... :chef:
lilpizzaplace

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 01:27:46 AM »
I think the mild provolone is even more mild in the Ohio/Pennsylvania area.  Every time I try it up here with the brands we get in Boston it is too much.  Back in Pittsburgh, though, a lot of the best places use even 100% provolone with excellent results.  I do miss that flavor.  I think that is sort of the signature of the area.  A NY style pie, but with a provolone cheese instead of mozzarella.  I can't wait to get home and visit and have some of the great pizza there that I grew up with, although I am even more excited to try Il Pizzaiolo.  Look out Ron, I am going to run you out of your buffalo mozzarella stock when I get back there!

Lilpizzaplace,  in what part of ohio is your shop?  Maybe if it is not to far I can drop by for a pie when I am visiting my family.

pizzapan