Author Topic: Watery Buffalo Mozzarella  (Read 2290 times)

Offline bbqchuck

Watery Buffalo Mozzarella
« on: September 26, 2013, 10:58:23 PM »
I've been using the Costco buffalo mozzarella and I'm getting really runny watery cheese.  Is there a preparation process that will cure the overly watery cheese?

Offline Jackitup

Re: Watery Buffalo Mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 11:25:37 PM »
You can wrap it in paper towels and weight it for a few hours or overnight or nuke it for 30 seconds or so at a time and re-knead it, but that will also toughen it up a good bit too.

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 12:23:44 AM »
I cut it into 2-3 slices and drain on paper towels for 6-8 hours. You might need to change the towels. Even very good, very fresh buffalo mozzarella can be pretty wet.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 09:13:59 AM »
I tried buffalo mozzarella (Garafolo brand from Costco) for the first time a few months ago and found it to have a weird texture when compared to fiore di latte mozzarella.  It was very inconsistent - some parts were nice, some parts were a little more firm and some were downright boogery!  Did I just get a bad batch or this what I should expect from buffalo mozzarella?
Mary Ann

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 10:14:03 AM »
I tried buffalo mozzarella (Garafolo brand from Costco) for the first time a few months ago and found it to have a weird texture when compared to fiore di latte mozzarella.  It was very inconsistent - some parts were nice, some parts were a little more firm and some were downright boogery!  Did I just get a bad batch or this what I should expect from buffalo mozzarella?

I think you got a bad batch. I also get the Garafolo brand from Costco, and the variation I see is usually the amount of water in the cheese which is generally correlated to the age of the cheese as judged by the amount of time before the sell-by date.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline supachicken

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 10:40:51 AM »
Do they sell imported garofalo in costco in the states? whoa!!! I use air frieghted stuff in my pizzeria in aus and it always consistent but bufala is the hardest pizza to cook - if the oven isn't super hot it will turn to juice. For pizza making I'd put a line through anything that has been frozen.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 11:29:06 AM »
I think you got a bad batch. I also get the Garafolo brand from Costco, and the variation I see is usually the amount of water in the cheese which is generally correlated to the age of the cheese as judged by the amount of time before the sell-by date.

Thanks, Craig!  I was hoping you would say that.  I really wanted to like it and I will certainly give it another try  ;D

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 04:58:06 PM »
My limited experience with the bufala cheese is that it forms a crumbly (boogery?) texture from the outside in, as it ages.  The interior will be very mallable, and the aged outer layer somewhat crumbly.  As the cheese ages in the water,  this layer of crumbly cheese grows in thickness toward the interior.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 05:23:20 AM »
My limited experience with the bufala cheese is that it forms a crumbly (boogery?) texture from the outside in, as it ages.  The interior will be very mallable, and the aged outer layer somewhat crumbly.  As the cheese ages in the water,  this layer of crumbly cheese grows in thickness toward the interior.

It's actually due to the longer time it's in contact with the mild salt brine it's packaged in as the salt starts to breakdown the cheese. That's when it's found to have that soft, mooshy texture on the outside it's probably preferable to cut into 1/2-3/4 dice, let it all come to room temp and heat in the nuke to get it just hot enough to knead it back together and reamalgamate the whole thing. Sometimes I've had to do it twice, better than tossing it out. Not as good as when it was 'fresh' but better than the outer 1/4 of the cheese to be texturally unpleasant. I've done this many times and it actually works quite well.

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 06:48:57 AM »
I take the cold cheese and cut to my final size, place on a cookie sheet with 3-4 paper towels underneath.
2 sheets on top.  Press lightly and leave on counter for 2 hours before baking.  Or in fridge up to 24 hours ahead.  If you stick it in fridge, let it come to temp 2 hours ahead of time

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 09:39:36 AM »
Press lightly and leave on counter for 2 hours before baking.  Or in fridge up to 24 hours ahead.  If you stick it in fridge, let it come to temp 2 hours ahead of time

I've never used any type of mozz at room temp - always cold. I've never even thought about it, but now that you say it, I can certainly think of many places that keep the cheese in a bowl on the counter as opposed to in a refrigerated tray. What difference do you think it makes?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 10:52:55 AM »
I take the cold cheese and cut to my final size, place on a cookie sheet with 3-4 paper towels underneath.
2 sheets on top.  Press lightly and leave on counter for 2 hours before baking.  Or in fridge up to 24 hours ahead.  If you stick it in fridge, let it come to temp 2 hours ahead of time

I was also encountering this wateryness with the Anglelo & Franco brand of fresh mozz from my Socal Costco.  Yesterday, I used your method of papertowels spread on a cuttingboard and sliced it up, covered with more papertowels and pressed it a bit by hand.  I let it sit for about an hour while doing other things and letting my 1hr emergency dough rise.  It was about just right.  Still creamy but not runny wet.   Thanks much :chef:

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 10:48:38 AM »

Craig,

FWIW, I was at Costco yesterday and noticed that the packaging on the Garafolo has changed.  Instead of the plastic lidded container, it is now in a sealed plastic bag with the cheese packaged in smaller individual sized bags, maybe one or two balls in each bag.  I did not notice if the price changed.  This will probably help maintain the cheese's freshness/texture.  I'm still weeks off from buying the cheese because I just ordered the Ischia starter last night and need to read your threads about starter, dough formulation, workflow, etc.  I think I have added them to my reading list so I don't lose them  :-D

I was curious if the packaging changed for you in TX and if you noticed a change in freshness or texture?

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 11:22:53 AM »
Craig,

FWIW, I was at Costco yesterday and noticed that the packaging on the Garafolo has changed.  Instead of the plastic lidded container, it is now in a sealed plastic bag with the cheese packaged in smaller individual sized bags, maybe one or two balls in each bag.  I did not notice if the price changed.  This will probably help maintain the cheese's freshness/texture.  I'm still weeks off from buying the cheese because I just ordered the Ischia starter last night and need to read your threads about starter, dough formulation, workflow, etc.  I think I have added them to my reading list so I don't lose them  :-D

I was curious if the packaging changed for you in TX and if you noticed a change in freshness or texture?

Mary Ann

I have not seen the new packaging, but they didn't have any when I was in there last week.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 12:06:06 PM »
Uh oh.. our Costco didn't have it this past weekend either.  I hope they aren't discontinuing it.

Our life will be shattered.  We go through a tub a week (sometimes two).  My wife is lactose intolerant and Buffalo Mozzarella is lactose-friendly.

I have a big Pizza party on Saturday.  I better go check thursday.

:'(

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 12:14:08 PM »
Uh oh.. our Costco didn't have it this past weekend either.  I hope they aren't discontinuing it.

Our life will be shattered.  We go through a tub a week (sometimes two).  My wife is lactose intolerant and Buffalo Mozzarella is lactose-friendly.

I have a big Pizza party on Saturday.  I better go check thursday.

:'(

Hopefully it's just that they are now stocking it in the new packaging.  In my Costco, it was in the exact same spot as when it was in the lidded containers.  Let me know how you make out.
Mary Ann

Offline Mother

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 02:35:28 PM »
I checked my Costco the other day (Altamonte Springs, FL) and they had the Garafolo in the plastic tubs. The expiration dates were all very soon (10/30 or 10/31) so I didn't get any since I don't plan on making any pizza until at least this weekend.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
I saw the new packaging at my Costco yesterday. They only had one, and I couldn't find the price, so I don't know if that changed.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Mother

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 08:56:31 AM »
I'll have to check mine again later this week.

I was there last night and all I saw was one tub and it had today's date on it.

pizzapan