Author Topic: Jon Hamm eats Imo's Pizza on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'  (Read 1156 times)

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
Jon Hamm eats Imo's Pizza on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'
« on: September 27, 2013, 11:51:38 AM »
Jon Hamm eating Imo's Pizza on Jimmy Kimmel Live (scrub ahead to 1:43):

<a href="http://youtu.be/pOTC_G6V6nM?t=1m43s" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/pOTC_G6V6nM?t=1m43s</a>

Kimmel makes him a "Jimo's Pizza" and does a pizza challenge. Kimmel has his own WFO. IIRC, Chris Bianco consulted on the build as they are buds. This was as of 2009, Kimmel may or may not have moved since then. Who knows.
¡Hasta la pizza!

Online scott123

Re: Jon Hamm eats Imo's Pizza on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
"You can taste the gateway arch"  :-D

Other than being very funny, I don't think this video is saying much, other than the fact that Jimmy needs to have a conversation with Chris Bianco about the pitfalls of re-heating pizza.

Why have I never heard of Imo's pizza? Is it not that good?

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 10:29:28 AM »
Oh, yeah, I didn't think this video was saying much. Just thought some folks might enjoy it.

Imo's is basically St. Louis's FAMOUS OLD-SCHOOL PIZZERIA. The way Boston has Santarpio's, Philly has Tacconelli's, Chicago and New York have ... too many to name.

Imo's -- and St. Louis style -- is pretty polarizing. It uses provel "cheese," which you either love or hate, and is built on the kind of crockery crust you'd see in a DKM Pizza Inn–style pizza. Cut into a grid, of course. My guess is that St. Louis is small and its people don't leave as much for other places, because nobody seems to talk much about St. Louis pizza outside of St. Louis.
¡Hasta la pizza!

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 10:39:28 AM »
I found this when I fell into a you tube black hole (where watching one video starts an endless marathon of "related" videos"

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggwytICIYws" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggwytICIYws</a>

Jimmy shares a little more about his WFO
Josh

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 10:43:30 AM »
Why have I never heard of Imo's pizza? Is it not that good?

I'm somewhat familiar with Imo's, mostly from these boards, though I've never had it. (I walked by some of their units during my long walk.) I'm surprised you've never heard of Imo's, Scott. A year or so ago, after someone started a thread asking everyone how they navigate the boards, you reported that you read all new posts, from every section. Now that you say you've never heard of Imo's, I'm beginning to question your integrity, man. ;)

Online scott123

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 12:09:32 PM »
A year or so ago, after someone started a thread asking everyone how they navigate the boards, you reported that you read all new posts, from every section. Now that you say you've never heard of Imo's, I'm beginning to question your integrity, man. ;)

I'm sorry, did you say something, Ryan?  I didn't read your post  ;D

Adam, thanks.  I understand the polarizing nature of Provel and STL style (thanks, mostly to your writing/reviews), but didn't know Imo's was the grandfather of them all.

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 09:40:17 PM »
@Scott123 — I'm actually not certain if it *is* the grandfather of them all. I'm a little shaky in the STL pizza history department -- there may have been someone before Imo. But it is THE ONE that everyone seems to know and reference.

@AimlessRyan — The frequency and ubiquity with which Scott is on these boards, I don't see how he could remember everything on here! (Yet he is quick with links to intel nevertheless.)
¡Hasta la pizza!

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 12:01:53 AM »
@Scott123 — I'm actually not certain if it *is* the grandfather of them all. I'm a little shaky in the STL pizza history department -- there may have been someone before Imo. But it is THE ONE that everyone seems to know and reference.

Born and raised in St. Louis, I can offer a little bit of a perspective.  Imo's are everywhere in St. Louis, it seems like they have been around forever, and yes- it's an acquired taste.  If you are born there, you are pretty much raised with Imo's.  Birthday party?  Imo's.  Work party?  Imo's.  You get the idea.

However - whenever I'm in town and I want pizza, I'll skip Imo's though and go to Cecil Whittaker’s: http://www.cwpizza.com/ .  It's basically the same style, but I think they try harder and the crust is better.  Plus, you can choose to have Moz on your pizza instead of provel.  I'm much more into neapolitan pizza these days, but every once in a while I get a little craving for Imo's and I'm not sure why.

Offline akuban

• Supporting Member
  • Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 10:40:43 PM »
Thanks, ccgus. I figured there would be the locals-only type place that flew under the radar of out-of-towner know-nothings like me. I'll add Cecil Whittaker's to my to-try list.
¡Hasta la pizza!

Offline Robbyrob720

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 05:10:32 PM »
I lived in St Louis for a few years and living most of my life in Maryland I could not stand Imo's, at least not right away. I instantly began referring to it as "Cracker Pizza" because the crust was thin and crispy like a saltine. The provel cheese was pretty good for pizza and pasta dishes though. At the time (1997-2001) the only place I could find that could come close to what I grew up on back east was Cicero's in the University City Loop. As mentioned in a post above Imos was everywhere. Work, parties and pretty much any social gathering you could find some boxes of Imos. I don't think that Imos actually grew on me but this "St Louis" style pizza was made all around town and I guess I just got used to it. My favorite St Louis style pizza was made at Bartolino's on the Hill. But everything at Bartolino's was fantastic.