Author Topic: Critique this pie  (Read 2551 times)

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Critique this pie
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 04:49:03 PM »
Nice looking pie. I particularly like the "crunch" to the larger bubbles as he presses them when he take it out of the oven.

What's more intriguing though is the material the oven floor is made out of - what is it? It looks like a single (or only a few large pieces) piece of granite, marble or soapstone as opposed to individual firebricks. Very interesting.

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 05:03:25 PM »
They are refractory tiles. Natural stone wouldn't last very long...even soapstone.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2013, 05:45:27 PM »
I think he puts it too close to the fire, turns it too slowly, and tries to make up for it by doming it into the flames.  I would damn sure eat it though.

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 07:25:42 AM »
Wow. I totally misunderstood your original post. I probably wouldn’t describe a pie I didn’t think to be beautiful or pleasing to the eye as “quite possibly the best pie I've seen anywhere.  Beautiful leoparding…”..

Sorry. My bad. I was referring to the leoparding. Not the pie itself. It is a nice pie(visually) but there are a couple of bulges that displace the cheese that are probably there because he chose to slap more than push using hand pressure. Best pie I've seen so far on the internet as far as my being confident in expecting it to be moist, soft and perfectly baked, based only on the visual characteristics and my own dining experiences and pizza making. I've seen better looking pies that have beautiful contrast in leoparding, as well as red tomato to bright cheese contrast, without over charring one side, that also have nice uniform thinness where toppings are(lacking large bulges). But that didn't necessary mean that they were as good to the palate.