Author Topic: Old lurker  (Read 285 times)

Offline pizzalover76

• I Love Pizza!
Old lurker
« on: September 27, 2013, 06:39:07 PM »
Hi everyone I've been using this site for about three years but this is the first time I've had to register to search the forum. During that time I was living in Alaska on a remote island in the Aletiun chain, where I lived for the last 6 years, but have finall recently left and relocated to the lower 48. During the time I was there for work I would customaliry get three weeks paid vacation for every 4 months worked, occasionally I would bank it and remain on the island and take about a month off, as you can imagine it would get pretty boring, having no pizza chains in reach without a 4 hour plane ride, I decided one day to teach myself to make pizza. I first looked for the quck recipes online but found them lacking, with an improved zeal for google searches I finally found the thread on this website involving the papa johns clone andcso began a two year journey to perfect and even outdo the classic papa johns hand tossed pizza, eventually this site led me to opening my own pizzerria in alaska on the small island which remained open till I left recently, hope to open another joint in California sometime soon.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Old lurker
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 07:24:58 PM »
pizzalover76,

Welcome to the forum.

Out of curiosity, did you make a version of the Papa John's clone pizzeria at your pizzeria in Alaska and, if so, how did your customers like the pizzas"

I'd also be curious as to what steps you took to improve upon the PJ clone pizzas.

Peter

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 10:40:46 AM »
Pizzalover76, my step son lives on UnAlaska, which island were you on?

Welcome to the forum! Good luck on your future shop.

Send pics of the old and new, when it happens.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline pizzalover76

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 03:19:18 PM »
pizzalover76,

Welcome to the forum.

Out of curiosity, did you make a version of the Papa John's clone pizzeria at your pizzeria in Alaska and, if so, how did your customers like the pizzas"

I'd also be curious as to what steps you took to improve upon the PJ clone pizzas.

Peter

Yes it was a version of the clone from your thread. They loved them, especially the crust, which over time evolved into a lighter, airer, yet still chewy crust, it nearly melted in your mouth and the entire thing was usually consumed.  I made a chicken alfredo that would knock your socks off which was a favorite, as well. Living in a remote island nearly everything was shipped in by boat, which is expensive and while I started out using the higher gluten content flour you suggested in the end I was using Costco bread flour straight out of the bag, I used honey not sugar, I proofed in fridge for 24 hours and tossed still cold at once the dough was workable and placed on pizza screens to give a moderate rise undisturbed.

Offline pizzalover76

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 03:20:42 PM »
Pizzalover76, my step son lives on UnAlaska, which island were you on?

Welcome to the forum! Good luck on your future shop.

Send pics of the old and new, when it happens.

Mark

It was Sand Point, Poppoff Island, Shumagin chain

Thanks will do

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 03:29:38 PM »
pizzalover76,

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it.

I tried using honey for emergency PJ doughs but not with the original since the thread was a clone thread and PJ did not use honey for the original dough.

I'm glad that things worked out for you.

Peter