Author Topic: I have no clue  (Read 940 times)

Offline reeter

• I Love Pizza!
I have no clue
« on: September 27, 2013, 08:25:40 PM »
I have no clue what I want to learn to make.  I have looked at all the pizza types and would guess  the American style could be it? I would like my pizza slice to not bend down at the center area, so guessing NY style is out, we don't fold. We want more toppings than seem to be on Neapolitan, we like 4-5 generally. I think PJ *type* possibly, but I have not had that, just looked at pics? I have been doing the "fastest pizza ever" recipe from KA with the "00" clone flour that you can use quite quickly.  Didn't think too much of it, but since I was using grocery store mass produced pizza sauce, whatever shredded mozzarella was on sale and pepperoni I was not too fond of, there are too many variables to pick one thing that was wrong.  I even tried to make my own mozzarella once and didn't think that was so hot.  Not sure why, the cheese was fine but we probably are used to real melty stuff, which the home made did not do.  Which item would you change and play with first?......

TIA reeter

Offline Surffisher2A

• I Love Pizza!
Re: I have no clue
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 09:03:19 PM »
If I were you I would try and master one of the clone recipes out there. that way you can at least compare what you are doing to a known end product. Once you get the technique down you can find your own style to master. There is a mellow mushroom clone on here that you can try.

Also start looking in your area to get high quality ingredients. Try and find a good commercial quality flour and tomatoes. A quick hint, a lot of people use the classico crushed tomatoes you get at walmart for $1 dollar a can. They can be hard to find and some walmarts aren't carrying them anymore.  If you live in seattle you should be able to find a restaurant supply store that will sell to the public, most big cities have one. Just having high quality stuff will instantly make your pies better.

Offline reeter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 11:06:52 AM »
Thank you, Surffisher! 
I did hit a Cash & Carry the other day.  Found some pepperoni that may work........5 pounds of it.  If not, I am from a large family and will be able to give it away easily, spicy thin sliced, large diameter, so it will work for sandwich use.  Got a cheese blend, mozzarella, provolone and mild cheddar.  I saw here that several like to blend these 3 cheeses.  I didn't think to look for just tomatoes, but I did get large cans of pizza sauce, a couple varieties. One thick and one with basil.  I am not sure about them because they are Amerifoods creations, I had not seen that mfg. mentioned here.  If they don't work I can use them in something else, they were cheap. 
I find there are places where I can get better flour, my problem is that I have weak hands, wrists and forearms and wonder how to get a good chewy dough without killing myself off.  That is why I originally used the KA 00 flour, no resistance.  I am thinking that I may need to get out that pasta dough roller and do long pizzas? I do have a good mixer, not a KA.
If I am understanding correctly from some things I read here, there is a point where a good refrigerated dough is easier to work, do I have that premise right? 
Does anyone ever use a bread machine just for the dough mixing portion?

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 12:13:50 PM »
Reeter, welcome to the forum. IMHO it does not matter if the pie you like is not exactly like one of the styles listed here. If you like to cook and want to bake your own pizza however, there is a wealth of knowledge here.
It has been said many times that it is probably best to change one ingredient at a time so you can identify what each change does.

It sounds like you want a crust that is on the firm side, bake time and temp will accomplish that aspect pretty easily. I assume that you are using a home oven that reaches 500-550F. That heat range will get you a nice firmer crust if you bake long enough.

I suggest as a starting point that you keep it simple. Buy King Arthur all purpose flour, avail everywhere, well almost. Use 58-60% hydration. Use 2% salt! add 2% sweetener if you like and 2-3% oil. The sugar and oil are optional.

As far as sauce, try some San Marzano tomatoes in a can, crush them by hand or use a boat motor, immersion blender. Do not add any of the liquid from the can until the tomatoes are smooth. If they are too thick add some of the liquid till the righ consistency.

Add cheese and toppings sparingly, wii make it much easier to launch your pie.

Bake your pie and make notes, if it is great, you are done, if not change one thing at a time till you get it to your liking. Once there, you can branch out and try other recipes and methods.

The best advice I can give is that you bake at least one pie per week and keep good notes.
Remember, even failures are good eat in'. ;D

Mark
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 12:15:43 PM by mkevenson »
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline reeter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 10:03:07 AM »
The DH picked up a large can of Contadina tomatoes in juice. No clue (a familiar refrain for me, eh?) if they were San Marzano or not, the can did not specify, but it did scatter the buzz word "Italian" around a lot, hoping to fool people, I guess,  which it did in his case. They were nice looking in color.   I tried making my own sauce after draining off the juice and it wasn't too bad, for an off the cuff recipe. Because of my soapmaking I even had stickblenders around.   I think, though, I detected a metallic  after taste.  Since I had some KA 00 flour to use up I stayed with the same crust recipe and process, not wanting to change everything at once, so I could get a handle on what needed to change. The new pepperoni and cheese I am still evaluating? They were better. It had been about a year since I had tried this recipe and wanted to refresh my memory about the crust.  The crust was actually able to handle the toppings and certainly was done, just not chewy, more bready.  KA reg flour next trip to the store for me to try.  Thanks for the good thoughts.
reeter