Author Topic: Tis the Season for "Flu Shots"  (Read 492 times)

Offline Jackitup

Tis the Season for "Flu Shots"
« on: September 28, 2013, 03:43:28 AM »
Be kind to others and get yours, we all have to take care of each other by caring for ourselves!!

Just a little PSA shoutout..... :angel:

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Tis the Season for "Flu Shots"
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 07:48:16 AM »
Getting ours next month  :angel:  thanks for the PSA, Jon.
Mary Ann

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 10:28:46 AM »
Jon, like you, as a hospital employee, it is mandatory. It takes 2weeks for the vaccine to become active once taken. Get your dose early! So THEY say.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 11:05:08 AM »
Actually THEY give us a choice. Have record of your shot by a certain date or you are mandated to wear the very confining 3m N95 masks AT ALL TIMES all the way thru surge season....and it's starting. RSV has been coming in for a few weeks now and early iflu A & B will be right behind with all their little pnuemonic friends ;-)

jon

Offline dhorst

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 03:32:34 PM »
Thanks for the reminder.  One of my sons and I both have asthma.  The flu can really do a number on us.  I also happen to be one of those people who catches everything that's going around.  The flu is one thing I don't need.
For the love of Aleppo chile, ask and you shall receive.

Offline communist

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 08:40:36 PM »
http://experiencelife.com/article/the-debate-about-flu-shots/

There's ALWAYS the "other choice" and I've read most of them. If one is around others that are immunocompromised, elderly, children, patient care, asthma etc a shot should be got period. Or if one gets sick, I hope they wear a mask when they go out in public, shopping etc and try not to expose others for ones choice not to get one. Is it fool proof, perfect, absolutely not, but it works better than doing nothing, THAT is a fact. Just hoping everyone stays well this season!!

jon

Offline DenaliPete

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 04:23:52 AM »
I am not a fan of the flu shot, also mandated as a hospital worker.

Will I get one?  Sure, because I don't want to have to wear that mask all year long.  But do I view and support the mandated flu shots in a positive light?  Absolutely not.

Offline pz

• I Love Pizza!
    • good food & friends
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 01:40:20 AM »
For anyone considering the flu shot this year, you might ask your medical provider if they are offering the trivalent or quadrivalent immunization.  The typical standard for years has been trivalent, but this year the 4-virus immunization is available (2 type-A and 2 type B virus protection).  In contrast, the trivalent protects against only 3 flu viruses.  If you're going through the pain of a shot, you might as well get the most bang for the buck.

As to web sites offering information about any concerns, look at the domain - it it is a .com, then it is a "commercial" site, and the information may or may not be reliable.  Personally, if I'm looking formation that is health related, I'll focus on the .edu and .gov domains, particularly NIH (National Institute of Health) and NSF (National Science Foundation) for reliable information. 

One other thing - I'm almost 60, and have had the "real flu" two times in my life - once nearly claiming my life.  What the general public often think is flu, is actually nothing more than a common bad cold - real influenza is a virus that will take you down for a week, and make you think you are going to die, which you might.  For instance, the flu of 1918-1919 - 20-40% of the world became ill, 50 million died of which 675,000 were in the USA. It is thought to have first struck in Fort Riley, Kansas, an Army base in the Midwest. One of these years, a highly virulent strain like this (or worse) will likely happen.

Personally, I wouldn't go a single season without immunization.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 01:55:12 AM »
For anyone considering the flu shot this year, you might ask your medical provider if they are offering the trivalent or quadrivalent immunization.  The typical standard for years has been trivalent, but this year the 4-virus immunization is available (2 type-A and 2 type B virus protection).  In contrast, the trivalent protects against only 3 flu viruses.  If you're going through the pain of a shot, you might as well get the most bang for the buck.

As to web sites offering information about any concerns, look at the domain - it it is a .com, then it is a "commercial" site, and the information may or may not be reliable.  Personally, if I'm looking formation that is health related, I'll focus on the .edu and .gov domains, particularly NIH (National Institute of Health) and NSF (National Science Foundation) for reliable information. 

One other thing - I'm almost 60, and have had the "real flu" two times in my life - once nearly claiming my life.  What the general public often think is flu, is actually nothing more than a common bad cold - real influenza is a virus that will take you down for a week, and make you think you are going to die, which you might.  For instance, the flu of 1918-1919 - 20-40% of the world became ill, 50 million died of which 675,000 were in the USA. It is thought to have first struck in Fort Riley, Kansas, an Army base in the Midwest. One of these years, a highly virulent strain like this (or worse) will likely happen.

Personally, I wouldn't go a single season without immunization.

In a nutshell, well said!! ^^^

pizzapan