Author Topic: Maintaining multiple starters  (Read 582 times)

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
Maintaining multiple starters
« on: September 28, 2013, 06:59:59 AM »
I have several sourdough starters that I have in the fridge, plus one that I keep on the countertop.

I currently have them in plastic containers with lids.  However, I would like to have more than one on the countertop for when I want to make multiple breads from different starters.

However, I have heard that you aren't supposed to keep your lids airtight on sourdough.  I am concerned about having one culture take over another if they are exposed to air.  Is this a silly fear?

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Maintaining multiple starters
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 09:35:32 AM »
I am concerned about having one culture take over another if they are exposed to air.  Is this a silly fear?

IMO, it's not a problem if you keep them healthy (read: feed regularly). The symbiotic yeast-bacteria relationships in well established cultures develop over the millennia and survive in the wild amidst countless other species and strains of yeast and bacteria. It seems unlikely to me that it will be any different in your kitchen.

Think about what would have to happen from a mathematical perspective for one to take over another if both are healthy. I'm not sure if you put a spoonful of one into the other it would take over let alone what might drift across in the air and somehow manage to find it way under a loose fitting lid of the other.
Pizza is not bread.