Author Topic: How do I move a thin crust pizza to a pizza oven stone  (Read 1105 times)

Offline cyhanna

• I Love Pizza!
How do I move a thin crust pizza to a pizza oven stone
« on: September 28, 2013, 06:14:45 PM »
I have mastered a thin crust that I like but I always have to cook this on a pizza pan instead of right on a stone in my pizza oven (Blackstone Pizza oven).  Does anyone have any recommendations of moving thin crust directly to the stone in the Blackstone oven?  Am I doing something wrong? 

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: How do I move a thin crust pizza to a pizza oven stone
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 06:19:38 PM »
Where are you opening your dough ball? Can you lift the opened pizza dough with your hands without it tearing? If so, then you can put the opened dough on a peel and launch (slide) the pizza dough onto the stone.
What method have you tried so far that has not worked?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 12:05:33 AM »
I've been doing thin NY style for a couple weeks on the Blackstone.  Today I did a thin cracker crust on the Blackstone. I think it was  about 13".  With cracker crust, I roll them very thin then transfer to a wood peel with semolina on it.  I launch on the Blackstone while its rotating.   No problem today.  But it takes practice.

Offline cyhanna

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 04:21:24 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.  Tried again today...I roll as well so I get super thin pizza.  I roll on a stone and then transfer to my steel peel (no problem with this transfer)...then that is where I have the difficulty.  It got stuck again today when trying to get off my peel onto the BS Stone.  I managed to move it onto the BS stone (only messing up a portion of the pizza)..man...it tasted awesome.  I am going to try a wooden peel with semolina and see if that works next time.  I know I can get this...I agree..will take practice and patience.  Thanks Everyone!

BTW..do you know good internet sites with Pizza topping recipes...unique toppings?  I have made up a lot of my own but like to view what others have created...

Offline redox

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 04:36:18 PM »
I have mastered a thin crust that I like but I always have to cook this on a pizza pan instead of right on a stone in my pizza oven (Blackstone Pizza oven).  Does anyone have any recommendations of moving thin crust directly to the stone in the Blackstone oven?  Am I doing something wrong?
The above tips really work, use a wooden peel and dust it with flour. Rub the flour all over the peel and then whack the edge of the peel against your hand to knock off all the excess flour. You're just filling in little imperfections in the wood. Then dust the peel with semolina. A final trick, once the pizza is dressed, before you launch, bump the peel against something solid to free the pie from the wood anywhere it might be sticking. All you need is a little bump and you can see that if it moves just a little bit then it won't stick upon launch. Usually, if it is stuck a bit, the bump will free it up. I've had nothing but successful launches since doing this. Hope this helps.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 10:35:33 PM »
Take bbqchuck's method using a wooden peel with the semolina, then use your metal peel to slide under the pizza and scoot it onto the pizza stone.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline mp233069

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 12:01:26 AM »
Must launch from a wood peel. Retrieve with metal.
Mario

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 05:43:39 PM »
I do what Redox does.  Flour the wood peel, then dust off the excess (to prevent burning the bottom of the pies), then semolina.  Once the pie is topped and ready to go, I give it a sharp shake to see it move.  Then I launch while the Blackstone is rotating. 

I fetch it with an aluminum peel.

Once I reduced my flour to a minimum and added semolina, the burning bottoms went away. 

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 05:45:57 PM »
You might also try par-baking on a pan for your cracker crust type.  Then the par-baked topped pie should slide right off easily.

pizzapan