Author Topic: Spotty dough, how can I make it smooth?  (Read 2798 times)

Online GarlicLover

Re: Spotty dough, how can I make it smooth?
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 09:05:43 PM »
Unfortunately, I learned today that I won't be able to continue experimenting. My doc had me tested for food allergies, and the results came in today showing that I'm intolerant to gluten, yeast, and dairy / casein. There's a possibility that this may improve down the road, but I'm benched for now.

Look, I'm not a doctor but I do have some knowledge and experience on this matter - in fact, I know quite a bit about health and medicine.

Do you notice any reactions whatsoever after consuming these substances you're supposedly intolerant to? I know several people here in Germany who get "diagnosed" with intolerancies towards 5, 6, 7 or more different things, yet their body shows absolutely no reaction. Nonetheless they stopped consuming those things out of fear that it will harm their bodies. Almonds, onion, gluten, yeast, etc. etc...

Now a food allergy is one thing, and a food intolerance is another. I'm not saying you shouldn't listen to your doctor, but please listen to your body as well. :)

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 02:40:08 AM »
You can get the book "Wheat Belly"which has a good amount of info on the topic despite being written in a very poppy sense. Also you can make sicilian pies or tomato pies and sub out wheat for einkorn and or spelt. I'm making some pizzas in the new Bonci book which uses whole and white spelt plus burrato (a wheat flour). A lot of those things are just more allergenic nowadays because they are GMO so if you can get more closer to the original food you might be better off. No reason to be a pizza-quitter.

Offline kdaq

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 06:59:52 PM »
I went 1/3 of a year without touching a slice. Thought it was time for me to jump back into this thread.

Now a food allergy is one thing, and a food intolerance is another. I'm not saying you shouldn't listen to your doctor, but please listen to your body as well. :)

I completely agree with you GarlicLover. Actually, listening to my body is the reason I got tested. I felt a variety of unpleasantness while eating all sorts of food, and I didn't understand what was wrong. I was sick all the time and had trouble concentrating. It was affecting my personal and professional life.

So, I went on a strict elimination diet based on the IGG Elisa panel the doc did. No wheat / gluten, dairy, yeast, and a variety of other things. It was enlightening. I still felt some mal effects, but was able to pinpoint a few additional things. Once I cleared my system of all the trigger substances I identified, it was easier to see how each individual one affected me.

Gluten reproducibly and consistently affects me. I was completely in denial. But once I cleared it out of my system, the effect was obvious. In large amounts, I get headaches and stomach distress. The next day it feels like a hangover.

Dairy is more straight-forward. It results in short-term stomach distress and scales with the amount I have.

Yeast I don't understand yet. I'm not avoiding it any more, and it doesn't seem to make too much difference. Guessing that's because I never eat large amounts.

Tomato has long been a problem for me. It gives me immediate onset "brain fog" for a couple hours, closes my airways a bit, and causes stomach distress. I'm sure some people reading this probably think I'm crazy -- but this one is actually the most obvious of all my intolerances (effects felt within seconds), even though it never showed-up on any tests. I've been cheating on this for years by having some caffeine, which helps counteract the effects (for whatever reason).

You can get the book "Wheat Belly"which has a good amount of info on the topic despite being written in a very poppy sense. Also you can make sicilian pies or tomato pies and sub out wheat for einkorn and or spelt. I'm making some pizzas in the new Bonci book which uses whole and white spelt plus burrato (a wheat flour). A lot of those things are just more allergenic nowadays because they are GMO so if you can get more closer to the original food you might be better off. No reason to be a pizza-quitter.

Hey PizzaAlaJoey. Like everyone here I'm passionate about pizza, and when I wrote my last post here, I had just gotten the allergy news. I felt crushed. The thought of making a GFDF pie to me at that moment was like thinking of making bacon from tofu.

Better, I think, to play to the strengths of your bounds. The last few months have been great. My wife and I tried all sorts of interesting new foods and I learned a lot. I was just starting to think about going down the road of experimenting with ingredients, when instead I started testing my tolerance.

I'm fortunate enough to dive back in again! Unlike a celiac or other such person, I can cheat a bit when I understand my limits. Basically, I cut out all the casual recurring stuff like sandwiches at lunch and free pizza friday at work.

The result is that I can again enjoy some homemade pizza now and then without compromising on how I want to make it. Just gotta take testing iterations a bit slower. :)

:pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

But I'm back!!!  :drool:

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 01:40:17 AM »
Glad you're back. I did the keto thing which made me a freak as far as food goes , but it was good. I understand that people with autoimmune diseases have things different. I think though you'll find things better nowadays if you just respond better to different grains and perhaps white pizzas.

Offline kdaq

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 12:59:20 PM »
Yup. I'm also simply trying to cheat less so that my body has more recovery-time in-between.

Previously I couldn't find safe options to scratch the itch, but recently I learned that the fabulous Rail Trail Flatbread Co. in my hometown does surprisingly delicious gluten-free dough. They do one topped with olives and veggies that's just awesome, and doesn't need cheese.

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2014, 12:35:34 PM »

Kdaq;

Just curious with your reaction to tomato products, do you get a similar reaction when you consume diet soft drinks, and food items with MSG? (and it's 500 different pseudonyms)
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline kdaq

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 05:20:19 PM »

Kdaq;

Just curious with your reaction to tomato products, do you get a similar reaction when you consume diet soft drinks, and food items with MSG? (and it's 500 different pseudonyms)

Whoa...is there a link between these?? I absolutely do get a similar reaction to MSG! That they could be linked never occurred to me. Do you know of somewhere I can read-up on this?

As for diet soft drinks, it's hard to say. Caffeine helps counteract this effect in my body, and I only ever drank caffeinated stuff like diet coke. I've since dropped diet stuff and gone back to regular.

Offline kdaq

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2014, 10:31:14 PM »
Last month I made a pizza with store-bought stuff. Today I finally decided to take matters back into my own hands!

Went with an adjusted recipe. The only change is lowering yeast a little:

Flour (100%):     684.7 g | 24.15 oz | 1 lb 8.15 oz
Water (63%):     431.36 g | 15.22 oz | microwave < 1 minute
IDY (0.73%):        5.0 g |  0.18 oz | ~ 3/4 packet
Salt (1.5%):      10.27 g |  0.36 oz | 2 heaping tsp
Oil (1%):          6.85 g |  0.24 oz | ~ 0.5 tbsp
----------------------------------------------------------
Total (166.5%): 1138.18 g | 40.15 oz | 2.51 lbs | TF = 0.1
Single Ball:     569.09 g | 20.07 oz | 1.25 lbs

I switched from ADY to IDY, but decided to bloom it anyway.

Came together great, food processor didn't seem fatigued. Best of all -- no spots! It's in the fridge now, will cook it up tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:27:51 PM by kdaq »

Offline kdaq

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2014, 08:11:52 PM »
Finally, I finished what I started about 7 months ago. The dough came together successfully!

Had a nice chew to it, and puffed-up more than anything I've made before. Found myself wishing for more crunch and more flavor, though. More experimentation to go!

I didn't heat the steel up long enough, but at least I didn't botch the launch, considering how rusty I am :)