Author Topic: Shrimp Pizza? Bleh, won't do that again.  (Read 713 times)

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Shrimp Pizza? Bleh, won't do that again.
« on: September 29, 2013, 08:23:38 PM »
My wife loved it, but it just didn't work for me.

Shrimp, spinach, garlic, onion, mozzarella, parm, crushed pepper, crushed tomatoes

It was a little under cooked on top as well but that wouldn't have helped much.
Josh

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Shrimp Pizza? Bleh, won't do that again.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 09:28:18 PM »
Next time try deep fried shrimp in tempura batter slightly undercooked. Put fried shrimp on top of other toppings. MMMM sounds scrumptious. :P

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 10:19:30 PM »
My wife loved it, but it just didn't work for me.

Shrimp, spinach, garlic, onion, mozzarella, parm, crushed pepper, crushed tomatoes

It was a little under cooked on top as well but that wouldn't have helped much.

For us it's the other way around, she loves shrimp but not on pizza, I love them on pizza. What about a bunch of those little swamp crickets/mud bugs (crawfish) on a pie??

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 11:00:24 PM »
To this day I can remember the first Neapolitan pizza I ever ate - topped with the shrimp just off the boat. It's been over 45 years since then ; a few thousand pizzas later, I still haven't had a better pizza.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 11:08:48 PM »
To this day I can remember the first Neapolitan pizza I ever ate - topped with the shrimp just off the boat. It's been over 45 years since then ; a few thousand pizzas later, I still haven't had a better pizza.

I'm thinkin' shrimp fresh off the boat, raw, with a lime, on a piece of dirty cardboard would have been great!! :drool: But that pizza does sound awesome!!

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 10:18:04 AM »
Next time try deep fried shrimp in tempura batter slightly undercooked. Put fried shrimp on top of other toppings. MMMM sounds scrumptious. :P

Mark, I love fried shrimp...  I think I may still keep it off my pizza though :)

For us it's the other way around, she loves shrimp but not on pizza, I love them on pizza. What about a bunch of those little swamp crickets/mud bugs (crawfish) on a pie??

I attribute it to my northern roots, but I'm not much a fan of crawfish. I prefer a shrimp or blue crab boil 100x over a crawfish boil. Don't tell any southerner I said that though  ;D

I think Neapolitan is a whole different experience when it comes to pizza, and I don't doubt for a second your shrimp pizza was the best you've ever had. If I had the opportunity to try a Neapolitan shrimp pizza I wouldn't pass it up. But for NY style, it won't happen again.
Josh

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »

What else was on it? The best shrimp pies I've made are 'meh' at best, and the shrimp come off the boat about 5 miles from my house...
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 10:40:20 AM »
I've found the 'meh' when the shrimp is under the cheese BUT, if you do a nice marinade and butterfly on them and make sure the bugs are on TOP of the cheese/pie it is much more enhanced by the hotter kiss of the heat/flame of the oven. Also, I am not one that is offended by over cooked shrimp. I like them raw, cooked just right, over cooked with that little rubbery chew, ceviche..........starting to sound like Forrest's buddy on the shrimp boat :-D

Offline Michael130207

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 10:55:10 AM »
I love shrimp pizza. I take take large shrimp (16-23 count) and pound them paper thin in between plastic wrap. I form the skin then drizzle with garlic infused olive oil and drape the paper thin raw shrimp on top, dot with a small amount of fresh mozzarella, and launch. Sprinkle with salt and arugula on top after baking. They shrink back somewhat when they cook but stay nice, thin and tender. The moisture the shrimp give off mixes with the olive oil to form the sauce. I fold the slice when I eat it so that the shrimp don't pull off in a sheet when I bite into it.
Michael

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 03:29:59 PM »
To this day I can remember the first Neapolitan pizza I ever ate - topped with the shrimp just off the boat. It's been over 45 years since then ; a few thousand pizzas later, I still haven't had a better pizza

Food memories are a powerful and amazing thing.

I bet this was in Naples?

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 03:38:19 PM »
I'm thinkin' shrimp fresh off the boat, raw, with a lime, on a piece of dirty cardboard would have been great!! :drool: But that pizza does sound awesome!!

Dare I say it...I can see some bold individual here making a ceviche pie in the near future...heh
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 05:19:11 PM »
I make them fairly often, so I must like them.  FYI ceviche is cooked, it is just cooked with chemicals instead of heat.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 05:23:10 PM »
I make them fairly often, so I must like them.  FYI ceviche is cooked, it is just cooked with chemicals instead of heat.

How do you make it? You put ceviche on a cooked skin? That must be excellent.
Josh

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 05:32:09 PM »
What else was on it? The best shrimp pies I've made are 'meh' at best, and the shrimp come off the boat about 5 miles from my house...

Through the fog of time, I'm remembering just a simple tomato sauce and cheese on a perfect crust baked in a WFO. Like kiwipete says above, these ancient memories are powerful. We remember them so many times, that perhaps they morph a little each time and we are really remembering memories of memories.

My version these days uses partially butterfield U15 wild white shrimp. Some sliced garlic is cooked until just golden in a mixture of extremely hot olive oil and butter and then removed. The shrimp are sauteed for just a few moments until they start turning pink, but only partially cooked. They go under the cheese so that they finish cooking in the intense heat of the WFO. Sometimes I drizzle the shrimp-flavored, garlicky oil/butter on the pizza before baking.

I know that mixing dairy and seafood is generally frowned upon in Italian cooking. When it comes to this pizza, I really don't care.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:59:11 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 05:53:43 PM »
I think I need to make it a goal to make a shrimp pie that I like.

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 06:44:44 PM »

I knew that, I was just being silly  ;D I am actually curious how one would make a ceviche pie, like JD said adding the ceviche onto a cooked skin is probably the only way to go given that the citric acid denatures the raw seafood in the dish and cooking it would defeat the purpose. In any case I'm sure it would be good!

Through the fog of time, I'm remembering just a simple tomato sauce and cheese on a perfect crust baked in a WFO. Like kiwipete says above, these ancient memories are powerful. We remember them so many times, that perhaps they morph a little each time and we are really remembering memories of memories.

My version these days uses partially butterfield U15 wild white shrimp. Some sliced garlic is cooked until just golden in a mixture of extremely hot olive oil and butter and then removed. The shrimp are sauteed for just a few moments until they start turning pink, but only partially cooked. They go under the cheese so that they finish cooking in the intense heat of the WFO. Sometimes I drizzle the shrimp-flavored, garlicky oil/butter on the pizza before baking.

I know that mixing dairy and seafood is generally frowned upon in Italian cooking. When it comes to this pizza, I really don't care.

Would it be ill-advised to bake with raw shrimp on a pie? I'm just afraid if I ever tried a shrimp pie of overcooking them.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:49:21 PM by chasenpse »
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 07:16:21 PM »
Would it be ill-advised to bake with raw shrimp on a pie? I'm just afraid if I ever tried a shrimp pie of overcooking them.

I've baked some large shrimp, raw, cut in half, and they were perfectly cooked on a 60 second NP.

pizzapan