Author Topic: ilFornino Stainless WFO  (Read 1841 times)

Offline radgator1

• I Love Pizza!
ilFornino Stainless WFO
« on: October 27, 2013, 01:42:41 PM »
I searched and was surprised I didn't find a thread on this oven, that seems to only be sold on Amazon.  I'll post a link but if that is not allowed please let me know.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A7971QK/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Seems like a good deal at 1500.00 shipped for a pretty large heavy duty stainless oven.  Has anyone seen or tried one of these?  They claim it is a New York company, but I can't find any link to ilFornino.  My guess (as a total newb) is they are a chinese knockoff of a $3500.00 Italian stainless design, since even though it says "by ilFornino, New York" it never directly states it's made in USA.

Online TXCraig1

Re: ilFornino Stainless WFO
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
Kevin,

There has been a little discussion about that style of oven but not much. I doubt you will find many people here that are enthusiastic about the general design.

It's definitely from China. Here it is: http://chinaqq.en.alibaba.com/product/521568017-212815482/2013_HOT_Sale_Wood_Fired_Pizza_Oven.html

$400 FOB.

There are literally dozens of very similar ovens available from China.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline radgator1

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 03:16:24 PM »
Kevin,

There has been a little discussion about that style of oven but not much. I doubt you will find many people here that are enthusiastic about the general design.

It's definitely from China. Here it is: http://chinaqq.en.alibaba.com/product/521568017-212815482/2013_HOT_Sale_Wood_Fired_Pizza_Oven.html

$400 FOB.

There are literally dozens of very similar ovens available from China.

Nice find, thanks.  What is the reason most don't care for the design?  Wide open front, dome too high?  It seems like it would get plenty hot and be pretty durable. 

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 05:06:41 PM »
Nice find, thanks.  What is the reason most don't care for the design?  Wide open front, dome too high?  It seems like it would get plenty hot and be pretty durable. 

"Plenty hot" is a relative thing. What would you consider "plenty hot?" It's also more complex than it would seem. The fire doesn't exist in isolation - it affects the heat balance in multiple ways. The oven construction and materials also effect the heat balance in many ways. Just the fact that you can get it hot says very little about the pies you can bake.

I think the main concerns are poor heat balance and difficulty in achieving and maintaining high (Neapolitan) temps. There really hasn't been much posted on this style of oven, and I've never seen anything that demonstrates such an oven has the capability of baking a high quality Neapolitan pie.

It all depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to bake all sorts of things and NP isn't something you care about, it might be just fine.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Surffisher2A

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 01:52:49 PM »
From the looks of it, you would have to burn the whole forest to get the temp up to 850 - 900 and then you would have lots of problems maintaining that temp. You would probablly get some drastic swings in temp which could cause some frustration with inconsistent pizza cooks.  That oven just doesn't have the thermal mass needed.

\

pizzapan