Author Topic: egg grill vs weber  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Pook

• Brandon
Re: egg grill vs weber
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 11:43:15 AM »
Yes, it does.  You would be surprised at how easily dough and baked goods absorb wood fire flavor.  Even 1 min would make a difference.  I've only done oven pies with a preheated baking steel to compare, which is NY and not NP.  My egged pies (4 min depending on toppings) are taken to another level with the kiss of a brick oven using lump.  Every one of my family and friends, other than my brother, have low expectations when it comes to pizza.  So it is easy for them to see and taste the benefits of wood fired(lump) vs gas.  May have to try adding splits before launch to increase flames?  There may be only a couple of pizza joints that use a true WFO in this area, so we are conditioned to gas.  :drool:

At the campground, we often cook over the fire after it has been established for some time, when a nice bed of orange coals remains.  No flame, just heat from the coals, and you can taste the wood flavor.  Not strong like smoking or high temp grilling, but it's there.

I have now seen some aesthetically beautiful pies off the BS courtesy of this site and it's pizzaiolos.
Pizza is subjective.  But I believe there is a fine line between browning(good) and bitter, acrid burnt(bad).  Similar to the Maillard reaction and searing.     

A very good price point to get people like me, who cannot afford to build an authentic WFO into the pool.
Heck, I may even drop $350 to see what all the fuss is about.  :-D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:07:47 PM by Pook »
"And let us not grow weary in doing good: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."  Galations 6:9

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 03:14:18 PM »
Good to know Pook. I'm going to Maine next weekend and wanted to bring some dough with me but the only oven I'll have access to is an old wood fire stove and perhaps a fire pit. I've never used a wood fire stove so I'm not sure what to expect, does anyone have advice for a first timer?
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline Surffisher2A

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2013, 10:00:56 AM »
If portability is a priority for you forget the ceramic egg cookers. They are just to heavy and awkward to move, esp if you have to do it alone.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2013, 12:23:14 PM »
Good to know Pook. I'm going to Maine next weekend and wanted to bring some dough with me but the only oven I'll have access to is an old wood fire stove and perhaps a fire pit. I've never used a wood fire stove so I'm not sure what to expect, does anyone have advice for a first timer?

chasenpse
If you can spare the time to locate Norma, she's been baking beautiful pizzas on a Blackstone at a market in NJ somewhere.

Pook,
I get the aversion to gas for meats and I don't doubt you get wood smoke flavor in your pizzas on a BGE.  But, the guys with authentic large WFOs say they don't get wood smoke flavor when running at NP temps.  I've been using my Blackstone for a couple months now and really like the pizza it produces.  There is no detectable flavor from the gas.  The temperature control is very good and the the time to prep/pre-heat is 10-15 mins depending on how high you set the burner and how high you want to bake.   Convenience is very high.  Product design is very high.  Product build quality is very low.  I used to bake pizza on my Bubba Keg and oven, but haven't done one in either since getting the Blackstone.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 03:55:39 PM »

chasenpse
If you can spare the time to locate Norma, she's been baking beautiful pizzas on a Blackstone at a market in NJ somewhere.

bbqchuck,

The only time I took the Blackstone unit to market is when I went to a special event outside.  This is the link for the NY style pizzas baked in the Blackstone at Reply 199 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26483.msg279107.html#msg279107  I do have a pizza stand at a local farmers market in Pa. but I use a deck oven inside market.  I have an all organic flour dough ball prepared to try tomorrow in the Blackstone.

I agree with your that the Blackstone unit is amazing.   ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!