Author Topic: Same dough for different crusts?  (Read 820 times)

Offline FATSMURF

• I Love Pizza!
Same dough for different crusts?
« on: October 02, 2013, 09:10:55 AM »
This is probably a stupid question but I' going to ask anyway.....do you use the same recipe for different crusts or do you have to alter the ingredients?

thank you

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Same dough for different crusts?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:26:14 AM »
You don't 'have' to do anything. A simply generic dough can be used to make aproximations of many types of pizza. Using different recipes/ingredients would be in an effort to make better pizza. I think most people here use different doughs for different styles - but don't take that to mean that most people use the same recipe for any particular style. If you learn nothing else here, it will be that there are frustratingly large number of ways to skin a cat.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 09:37:13 AM »
We use the same NY style dough for both our thin crust and deep dish (baked in a cast iron pan).  The deep dish gets a health dose of olive oil to it and then the dough is left to rise on top of that.  It imparts a different flavor and texture to the crust than the regular dough that has no oil in it.  Walter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 01:03:26 PM »
FATSMURF,

In a home setting you are free to use dough as you like. However, in a commercial setting, pizza operators often try to use the same dough to make differerent types of pizzas. For example, a given dough can be used to make a thin crust pizza or a thick crust pizza simply by using more dough to make the thick crust pizza. The same dough can also be used to make calzones, breadsticks, garlic knots, pinwheels, rolls, and dessert pizzas.

I have seen cases where pizza operators use the same dough for the NY style and the Sicilian style. There are also pizza operators who specialize in the Chicago style pizza who use the same dough for deep-dish pizzas and the Chicago-thin style pizzas. However, there are some pizza operators who do make more than one type of dough but it is rare to see more than two types. That can complicate matters.

Peter

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 02:02:12 PM »
FATSMURF,

In a home setting you are free to use dough as you like. However, in a commercial setting, pizza operators often try to use the same dough to make differerent types of pizzas. For example, a given dough can be used to make a thin crust pizza or a thick crust pizza simply by using more dough to make the thick crust pizza. The same dough can also be used to make calzones, breadsticks, garlic knots, pinwheels, rolls, and dessert pizzas.

I have seen cases where pizza operators use the same dough for the NY style and the Sicilian style. There are also pizza operators who specialize in the Chicago style pizza who use the same dough for deep-dish pizzas and the Chicago-thin style pizzas. However, there are some pizza operators who do make more than one type of dough but it is rare to see more than two types. That can complicate matters.

Peter

Peter:  We use the same dough for pizza knots (when we have leftover dough), stromboli's (brushed with olive oil),  and even have baked risen dough balls for Italian hot dogs ala Jimmy Buffs.  Walter

pizzapan