Author Topic: Fresh yeast starting point  (Read 721 times)

Offline Roman

• I Love Pizza!
Fresh yeast starting point
« on: October 01, 2013, 03:52:11 PM »
Can someone suggest a gram weight starting point for fresh yeast for approximately a 405 gram weight volume of "00" flour.
Thankyou for all the inspiration to date.

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Fresh yeast starting point
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 03:55:39 PM »
Depends entirely on how long a fermentation you want and at what temperature..

So will need that info before you can get an answer..

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 04:31:06 PM »
 my normal amount is 2 grams per kilo. .5 gram if you can measure it would work. 1 hour bulk then i ball and store for two to three days at 38 degrees. three to four hours room temperature warm up for cooking.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 04:41:49 PM »
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Roman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 07:40:21 AM »
Fermentation would be at relative room temp. Craig, I can see a laminated version of the chart in the thermometer drawer. A wealth of information! As I've gleened the many YouTube videos of Neo pies, the common ground that doesn't require translation or Rosetta Stone, is that almost all use cake yeast. Thus your first line chart prior to including IDY or ADY.

Assuming I work through the chart for my needs, does this allow me to bake at the finish of the suggested times for Neo pies?
Does refrigerated storage neutralize the effects of the chart? Does refrigerated storage of say a couple days past chart suggestions change the structure or taste, understanding that at some point the optimal active dough will diminish after a point when refrigerated.

Thank you all.

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 08:31:05 AM »
Does refrigerated storage neutralize the effects of the chart? Does refrigerated storage of say a couple days past chart suggestions change the structure or taste, understanding that at some point the optimal active dough will diminish after a point when refrigerated.

How long past are we talking about? Yeast slows down and behaves differently in cold fermentation so you should be OK with it, there have been members here who have kept dough for 10+ days and still created great pies, take a look here - http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=10714.0

Speaking from my own experience I usually make my dough and immediately ball and store for 3-5 days to cold ferment but I've gone up to a week and it's still been pretty active. I agree with what thezaman said, I'll usually let my dough sit at room temp. for at least 90 minutes before use.
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 09:14:57 AM »
Assuming I work through the chart for my needs, does this allow me to bake at the finish of the suggested times for Neo pies?

The goal of the chart is to give you a starting point that hopefully is close to the time the dough will be ready to bake. There are so many variables with respect to the formulation and your unique situation, that it's very likely that you will need to tweak something to get things just the way you want them. One thing most foolproof recipes have in common is that they don't make the best pizza.

The chart will handle temperature transitions including the refrigerator. The instructions for doing so are the same as for my sourdough chart: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22649.msg230690.html#msg230690

Many people push the time in the fridge well beyond what you see in the chart. The chart is still a bit of a work in progress. Much of it is very close, but it still needs a bit of tweaking. I hope to put out a second version pretty soon.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Roman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 06:29:16 AM »
Thanks all. This helps clear a few things, or at least ask myself the right questions now. Craig, the work you've put in on the matrix is impressive, valued.

In my yesterdays attempt I  worked up 405 grams "00"  with 5.44 grams CY. It matured beautifully and at the 14 hr mark at a RT of approx 70 degrees, I pulled and 2 balled for the refrigerator. There it went through what reminded me of the Seinfeld episode of George Castanza's reveal of massive "srinkage". I typically will bring the dough out for a couple hours prior to baking. This  was first attempt at Cake Yeast as it was difficult to find not being the holidays. That it contracted as much from its original state, I thought it met irreperable damage from the cold. The dough is required to travel to bake on its third day of its making. Is there hope that it will recover for use?

pizzapan