Author Topic: Aluminum retarding containers  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Sartanely

Aluminum retarding containers
« on: October 02, 2013, 10:21:27 AM »
I have an aluminum stackable container to retard the dough balls in refrigerator but have concern as some black residue is coming when I run it with paper towel
How safe are they? I thing it makes the dough blacken also. I think that the glass containers are the safest  to retard the dough balls but can not find the low profile and wide enough glass containers.can someone give me a link where I can but the glass containers for retarding the dough balls?

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Aluminum retarding containers
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 10:25:50 AM »
I have an aluminum stackable container to retard the dough balls in refrigerator but have concern as some black residue is coming when I run it with paper towel
How safe are they? I thing it makes the dough blacken also. I think that the glass containers are the safest  to retard the dough balls but can not find the low profile and wide enough glass containers.can someone give me a link where I can but the glass containers for retarding the dough balls?

Are you washing these in a dishwasher or by hand?
Josh

JD's NY Style: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=34538.0
JD's Neapolitan using Pizza Party WFO: (Coming soon!)
http://www.wood-fired-pizza-oven.us/

Offline Sartanely

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 11:29:41 AM »
Washing them just by hand.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 11:35:43 AM »
Mary Ann

Offline Sartanely

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 12:16:58 PM »
Thanks for the link. I am looking 8x3 to save space in refrigerator. I put the 6 aluminum container easy but I definitely need to stop using them

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 12:48:53 PM »
I have been using them for a couple of years with no oxidation (that is what that is).  Keep them oiled.

Offline Sartanely

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 02:10:02 PM »
I see more black stuff coming out when I oil it. There is less or no black when rubbing it dry with paper towel.
Is the oil coasting some kind of reaction to aluminum?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 02:55:54 PM »
Dunno, I haven't seen the effect with EVOO.

scott123

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 05:59:29 PM »
Sartanely, this is what I use.

http://www.bakedeco.com/a/plastic-dough-pan-s-12232.htm#.UkyUJmqZH0l

It's the plastic equivalent of what you're presently using.

I think the jury is pretty much in on the safety of consuming aluminum.  It's not something I lie awake thinking about. I have had aluminum foil in contact with tomato sauce in a lasagna pan, and I didn't like the metallic taste it gave the sauce.  Dough is going to involve a fraction of the quantity of aluminum oxide transfer, and most likely will be imperceptible, but if I can avoid any reaction, any transfer, I do. Longer ferments can generate acid, as well as sourdoughs (for those that use them), and, whenever there's acid, non reactive surfaces are a better bet.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 08:06:31 PM »
Sounds like something is acidic and etching.  My mother has cooked white rice in a bare aluminum pot for three quarters of a century without black residue.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 08:25:29 PM »
If you coat them with oil before use, there will be 0.0 percent reaction, same with oiling them after use.  What ever makes you comfortable, I use plastic and aluminum, but stay away from anything non-stick.  <shrug>  None of it is going to harm you under normal circumstances.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 10:43:45 PM »
Possibly the corrosive effects of salt and water in the dough reacting with the aluminum.  ???

Offline pz

• I Love Pizza!
    • good food & friends
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 12:34:43 AM »
Typically I am careful when considering metals and human pathophysiology.  While aluminum was formerly thought of as a potential causative agent in Alzheimers, there has not been definitive research to indicate that is the case.  I always recommend that if one is worried about health effects, do a Google search and focus on .gov and .edu domains for reliable information.  In this case, here is a link to the Center for Disease Control on the toxicology of aluminum. http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=1076&tid=34

Likely the black oxidation we experience with aluminum corrosion is nothing more than a bad metallic taste in our mouths, but you never know.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Offline Sartanely

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 11:45:19 AM »
I going to container store to find out if they have a small glass container as i am convinced now that glass is the safe way to go to store food like dough. I am not a fan of plastic and I replaced all my plastic containers with glass to store the food. I never stored food in aluminum except baking with them. Saw then in pizzerias and online to retard the dough. You never know untill you try something . So If you are not concerned then I need to get rid of them and willing to send for half of the cost. I have 6 of them with lid.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 11:28:56 PM »
I will continue to worry about plane crashes, shark attacks, and leprosy, while using plastic and aluminum containers with abandon.  Here is my stack, full and freshly oiled waiting for the final ball.  No black oxidation.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 12:03:53 AM »
And here is the second batch, in plastic.  This is actually the first batch my oldest, a 2 year pizza joint employee has made.  She understood the concepts, she has worked with central made, bulk delivered dough.

pizzapan