Author Topic: Mixer for Pizzeria  (Read 845 times)

Offline jtmiller09

• Bringing People Together Through Great Pizza!
    • Courthouse Pizzeria
Mixer for Pizzeria
« on: February 05, 2015, 09:44:10 PM »
Can anybody recommend a good single-phase pizza dough mixer?  I know 3-phase is ideal, but it would be a major expense to upgrade to 3-phase in this old building....  Thanks!
JT

Offline Iowamcnabb

Re: Mixer for Pizzeria
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 10:18:36 PM »
I'm looking at the mecnosud spiral mixer myself.  The biggest single phase does 100 9oz balls at a time I believe.  Depends on your style and volume... Three different sellers here in the U.S. that I know of.

Online vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 12:46:06 AM »
You can get a VFD (to convert single phase to 3-phase) for a few hundred dollars. You need to bypass the timers (if any) and wire directly to the motor, though.

Here's an Avancini SP60 on a VFD:  http://redd.it/2ogxtk
In grams we trust.

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 05:26:28 PM »
I would go with a Hobart. They can be had for relatively low cost and with proper treatment can easily last a lifetime. I recently acquired a used Hobart A-200F (floor model) with a pelican head, meat grinder and not to mention 2 hooks, whisk and paddle for only $1000. The deals are out there if you look.

Anthony
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

https://www.facebook.com/TheLunchRoomPenArgyl

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 01:17:40 AM »
The question depends in the volume you think you might have and the hydration of the dough.

I would think a min of a 30 qt hobart, these are 220 typically  good used about $1500 ( if lucky) to $2500

A larger is a 60 qt, hobart h 600, decent mixer, about $3500 to $4500

Strongest is the p660 60 quart it's a 3 phase, you can buy a PhaseMaster to convert single to 3 phase.  They work fine.  Best deal $3500 range up to $7000

If you mixing low hydration dough, the h 600 and the 30 qt will struggle, so you will need to reduce the batch size.  Or the p660 which can handle tough doughs all day long....

If you are just starting maybe try a 30 qt hobart

Low hydration is in the 40's, at 45 and below with low oil <3-5% the h600 and 30 qt will get beat up pretty bad, you will have to reduce the batch size.  If your dough has 50% and up  then either will work great for you at full batch size.  Just speaking from my experience with these mixers...

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 11:22:40 AM »
Don't overlook spiral mixers, since using one, I have not had any reason to mix dough in a planetary mixer.
But a spiral mixer limits you to just dough, whereas a planetary or VCM can do everything needed in a pizza place with added attachments
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline Iowamcnabb

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 04:14:46 PM »
Don't overlook spiral mixers, since using one, I have not had any reason to mix dough in a planetary mixer.
But a spiral mixer limits you to just dough, whereas a planetary or VCM can do everything needed in a pizza place with added attachments

Which brand spiral did you go with?

Offline GotRocks

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 10:02:24 PM »
Which brand spiral did you go with?

I'm currently using an old beat-up Impasti mixer, the company is done & gone, no support, parts or service available for them anymore.
The mixer was here when I got the building. I've looked at Globe, and experience with other globe equipment has me not too impressed, maybe they are better now though?

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 10:53:27 PM »
Mecnosud makes a beautiful spiral mixer . and I can get you up to a 44l in single  phase that will do full bag  or +- 150 doughballs  depending on weight
shoot me a PM if I can help in anyway !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline GotRocks

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 02:44:43 PM »
Mecnosud makes a beautiful spiral mixer . and I can get you up to a 44l in single  phase that will do full bag  or +- 150 doughballs  depending on weight
shoot me a PM if I can help in anyway !
John

Can you share some model numbers and pricing? If not in the forum, maybe shoot a PM out?
I have 3-phase in the building, but would prefer single phase