Author Topic: Attn: Blackstone Bakers  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Pook

• Brandon
Attn: Blackstone Bakers
« on: October 03, 2013, 01:04:57 PM »
Show me what all the fuss is about!   :-\

Been digging through some of the posts, and would like to see your latest creations.

Would also appreciate some input from members who own both a WFO, and BS.
Pros?  Cons?  And anything else pertinent in comparison reviews.

Thanks,
Brandon
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 02:01:23 PM by Pook »
"And let us not grow weary in doing good: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."  Galations 6:9

Offline pdog

Re: Attn: Blackstone Bakers
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 02:31:29 PM »
I do not own a WFO, and my BS is not delivered yet, but for me:

WFO - Cost - 3-5K minimum. and UP!!!

BS - 370 bucks delivered with a peel!

From reading the thread many are getting WFO results for 1/10 the price.   

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 02:37:35 PM »
Cost and labor is the most important factor.  Guess I should've been a little more clear.  Looking more into end result comparisons.

How many average cooks does one tank produce?  Haven't refilled an LP tank in over a decade?  Sure the price has increased significantly.     
"And let us not grow weary in doing good: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."  Galations 6:9

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 04:39:50 PM »
I think you will find all your answers in the existing blackstone threads - there are several.

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 05:37:14 PM »
I have briefly skimmed over some of the posts.  Have some concerns about build quality?  And being in the Midwest, old man winter is also a legitimate concern?  As would coastal BS users, and rust? 

Ceramic laughs at the blistering winter winds, and actually shines in this environment.  It is a PITA maintaining temps in my WSM during the winter months, which is built better than the BS.

I am intrigued by this product, not enough yet to buy one.  :)

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 05:43:32 PM »
Well I don't think anyone will try to convince you to buy one.  ;D

How often do you think you will be running that WFO in the middle of winter? 

Maintaining temps in WSM and a BS is like comparing apples to oranges.  Your talking about low and slow vs. a hot fast bake.  Completely 2 different things here.  The answers to all your questions and the pictures you seek are in the Blackstone threads. 

Just spend some time reading and you will come to a conclusion whether or not a BS will suit your needs. 

And yes the build quality is questionable, but your not going to find another pizza oven that can perform like a BS for under $400 anywhere.   If it were me and I was you, I would put a BS in my garage (if you have one), crack the garage door during winter for ventilation and enjoy pizza in a warm and sheltered garage instead of going outside and lighting the WFO, which I can guarantee is a not as romantic as it sounds.

Chau
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:27:27 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 06:02:58 PM »
Thanks Jackie.

I grill pizzas year round, all I need is a Carhartt hoody and warm slippers...maybe some good, neat scotch or whiskey.
During football Sundays I often do large batches of wings on the WSM raised indirect on two racks, with an empty foiled water pan at 400-450 degrees.  If there is any wind, even on a mild day at the campground, I cannot achieve those temps, cooker wide open with vent settings.  Have had the same issues doing Turkeys and Fryers this way. The WSM and BS are both noninsulated and of similar construction, only difference being fuel type. 

I agree it is a low price point currently at $349. 

The garage option is a great recommendation for getting out of the winter wind.  Thanks again for your feedback.  :) 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:19:38 PM by Pook »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 06:20:45 PM »
Pook, I am a fan of the BS.  I don't currently have a WFO, but I did about a year ago.  Sold the house and the wfo along with it but that is another story. 

If I was someone new to the hobby, I would definitely buy a BS first and practice making pizza on that before investing $$$ in a WFO or an ODK (outdoor kitchen).  And even if I had a WFO already, I would still buy a BS to used during the winter and bake inside the garage unless you are like TxCraig who has a WFO in the garage and a limitless supply of wood, then I would not.  There are many differences between a BS and a WFO, but the pizza results are very close.  The advantages of the BS is that it heats up quickly and fuel and time efficient compared to a wfo.  Sure, you won't get the romanticism of lighting up the WFO and tending the coals, but who cares about that when it's zero degrees outside.   8)

I cannot achieve those temps.  Have had the same issues doing Turkeys and Fryers this way. The WSM and BS are both noninsulated and of similar construction, only difference being fuel type.

Trust me, you won't have any issues reaching or maintaining temps in cold weather in a BS.  BTW, you can also add some insulation to your blackstone to help retain some of the heat but I seriously doubt you will need it.  I haven't used my BS in cold weather, but I would not hesitate to beat real $ on it.  It won't have a problem. 

And if you grill pizzas year round in your ceramic cooker, which I have also made lots of pizzas in a ceramic oven,  the BS will be a walk in the park.  It's easy, easy, easy, compared to anything else you have used out there for making pizza.  To me it's a no brainer, but that's just my opinion.   You absolutely will not find a better or more versitile option for making pizza at that price point.  And yes, I am willing to bet $ on it.   :D

Chau
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:24:26 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 06:25:41 PM »
 ^^^!  What Chao said! 

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 06:28:41 PM »
Thanks Jackie, appreciate your input immensely.  I've been known to overthink at times.  :-[ 

The BS would be great as an outdoor broiler for crisping chicken thighs, drums, and wings, finishing ribs with a low sugar sauce, cooking nachos, ABTs, etc.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:37:23 PM by Pook »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 06:52:28 PM »
Overthinking is good.  I do it all the time and too much of it.   :-D  The only difference is that some members have travelled that road already.  Doesn't mean they are pizza gods or anything silly like that.  It just means they have made the mistakes and know about the pitfalls.  Believe me when I tell you about easy, convenience, and efficiency.  I have taken my Primo ceramic oven to over 800F many times trying to do NP pizza.  If you have taken your ceramic grill to those nuclear temps, you know about potential flash backs and safety issues.  You won't have that in the BS.  Heat up and cool downs are quick.  Likely more fuel efficient than lump charcoal.  You can watch the pie as it is baking as well, so that's another plus. 

For the cost minded person (most of us), a WFO, is really something for the experienced pizza maker.  For someone who has exhausted other means of baking a pizza and actually needs one for high temp bakes.  Someone who appreciates cooking outside and actually likes to host pizza parties.  Someone who understands the cost versus time committment and sees the value in the experience one can learn from it.  I would hate to see someone spend the $ on a WFO, only to drop the hobby in a year or want to upgrade to the latest and greatest.  Learn on a BS, do your research and talk to WFO owners and members, save your money.  Don't go cheap on a WFO if you are going to get one.  Get a quality one and you won't have any regrets.   Make sure you plan on staying in your current residence before spending big money on an ODK or a pricy WFO.  When you've considered all these things and are ready, then take the plunge and don't look back.  A wfo is an awesome thing, but it's not for every member here.  Until you are there, the BS will get you 95% plus the results at a fraction of the price of building and operating. 

Chau
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:54:43 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 07:00:02 PM »
I would put a BS in my garage (if you have one), crack the garage door during winter for ventilation and enjoy pizza in a warm and sheltered garage instead of going outside and lighting the WFO, which I can guarantee is a not as romantic as it sounds.

Chau

That's exactly what I'm planning to do here on Saturday. Pizza party with 70% change of thunderstorms. Garage is under the house and a few steps down from the kitchen. With the weather predicted to be 75, the garage door will be fully open. Wifey wants no more one hour 550 preheats in the Viking oven/broiler this winter, so BS-garage it will be. Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »
Now you're talking!!  :chef:

Worst case scenario, I could put it on craigslist?

I agree about watching the pie, often peak through the dome hole.  Must be extremely careful when going nuclear.  I wear safety glasses and foundry gloves.  Have been stung by flames, so I know.  ;D

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 07:11:35 PM »
Jim, I baked so many pies in my MBE and LBE in the garage over the last few winters and the BS won't be any different.

Pook, again take my word.  Once you get it dialed in and actually learn how to make the different styles, you won't be selling the BS.  Now get busy reading those threads.  :-D  I've posted a lot in those threads and want to know that they are helpful.  :angel:

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 07:14:07 PM »
Alright, will do.   ;)
Thanks again

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 07:19:47 PM »
Pook,

I also really like my Blackstone unit.  I have made different kinds of pizzas in the BS.  I also have a thread about mine if you want to read it. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 07:25:05 PM »
Norma, would love to give it a look.  What do I search for to pull it up?  Thanks
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 07:27:50 PM by Pook »

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 07:32:33 PM »
Norma, would love to give it a look.  What do I search for to pull it up?  Thanks

Norma's thread is pretty cool, as is she. Here it is

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26483.0.html

Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 09:06:07 PM »
Thanks Jim!

Offline pacdunes

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 06:32:50 PM »
Pook - I am building an outdoor kitchen.  I was seriously of the mind to getting a WFO built in, but last month bought the blackstone to see what all the fuss is about.  Well, I love my blackstone now.  I can fire it up in 15 mins and make pie.  I realized, that with all the golf i play, and my just being generally lazy, I would did not want the extra time commitment to build a fire in a WFO.   The blackstone is already in the bbq island design with the tank enclosure built-in.  If the blackstone breaks down, I will just buy another - however, I won't have as many of the rust issues since I'm in AZ.

pizzapan