Author Topic: Looking for some feedback  (Read 514 times)

Offline pdog

Looking for some feedback
« on: October 03, 2013, 02:37:21 PM »
Hi,

I still struggle to tell when my dough is ready to be used. 

I took a picture of the bottom of my latest dough ball........ What are people thoughts?  Ready to use?  Over fermented?  What distinctions in the dough ball do you look when you are ready to bake away?

Mal

Re: Looking for some feedback
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 03:29:07 PM »
pdog, you might want to take a look at TXCraig's reference pics:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20477.msg202048.html#msg202048

Mal

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 03:34:25 PM »

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 03:36:42 PM »
That's looking a bit overfermented to me. The photo below (one of Norma's doughs) is about the furthest you want to go, imo.

In the past, I've made kind of a big deal about dough underside appearance, but I think I'm beginning to slowly move away from it.  It definitely doesn't hurt to monitor it and get a photo, but if you ferment a dough for a couple days or more and achieve the right volume (between 2x and 3x) before stretching, the bottom appearance will work itself out just fine.

One advantage to underside appearance is that volume growth can be a bit tricky to detect and if you're posting photos online it takes photos of the starting dough and finished dough to determine growth whereas an underside shot can tell the whole story in one photo. Other than that, though, there's nothing wrong in going strictly by volume.

Offline pdog

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 04:40:37 PM »
pdog, you might want to take a look at TXCraig's reference pics:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20477.msg202048.html#msg202048

Thanks...... my looks way different haha.   I only used .25% yeast, and it was in the fridge for only 20 hrs...... New fridge must not be as cold!!

Offline pdog

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 04:42:28 PM »
Thanks Scott...... I agree..... i though it was over fermented as well. 

I threw it in the oven, and it was okay...... not as much browning as normal.  Do you think this could be due to over-fermentation?