Author Topic: Cloning Artichoke Basille Siciliian Slice?  (Read 861 times)

Offline Bende

Cloning Artichoke Basille Siciliian Slice?
« on: October 03, 2013, 07:35:19 PM »
Hey guys,

Anyone had any luck mimicking the sicilian slice from Artichoke pizza in NYC?  When they nail that slice, I think its mindblowing.  It's definitely a haearty slice.  What I can't figure out is the cheese.  It's a dense, rich cheese.  Maybe a dried mozz / cheddar combo?

Any advice?

Ben

Offline Bende

Re: Cloning Artichoke Basille Siciliian Slice?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 08:45:53 PM »
Hey guys - giving this one more shot.

Anyone have any advice on how to get close to something like this at home?  Nailing the dough consistency seems like the toughest thing.

I think I can get close to the toppings with a cheese combination that combines a heavy dose of low-moisture cheese combine with a lot of aged cheese like a pecorino.

Ben

Offline crkoller

• Food is an important part of a balanced diet
Re: Cloning Artichoke Basille Siciliian Slice?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 06:05:59 PM »
Yea this dough is tricky, I have been messing around with a couple of options and will report back. The key is to use a lot of olive oil so the bottom fries - my biggest issue with Artichoke has always been it tastes deliciously fried when its good and horribly greasy when its bad. My goals currently are to get a nice rise on a dough and get that beautifully fried bottom. Im thinking I'll have to go pretty hot in the oven too

Oh and they are definitely using fresh mozzarella, not LM

Here is a nice video of it - (1:40)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ImMIdV4tA