Author Topic: Random NY pies  (Read 24517 times)

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Re: Random NY pies
« Reply #340 on: January 18, 2015, 04:45:14 AM »
Not bad for a 20 hr dough. 2% brown sugar, 1.6% EVOO, .6% CY, 1.7% salt, 63% hydration using 9.8% protein flour.

A cheesy plain cheese pie, and a pepperoni/sausage. Sausage: store bought, for "churrasco". Casing removed, raw chunks placed on pie.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 05:19:19 AM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
« Reply #341 on: January 18, 2015, 10:01:20 AM »
That crumb's a beauty! Amazing gluten development at only 9.8% protein.  How long did you mix this dough and how did u bake it Johnny?
Jeff

Offline PizzaManic

« Reply #342 on: January 20, 2015, 10:37:53 AM »
Wow  :drool:

That's 1 incredible looking Pie. Perfect Charring - the crumb looks beyond perfect - I can only imagine how tasty it was.

I'm also curious to know your bake time and temp?
At 9.8% Protein - how did the dough handle the stretching - did you have to be extra careful?
Regards Mo

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #343 on: January 20, 2015, 06:51:36 PM »
That crumb's a beauty! Amazing gluten development at only 9.8% protein.  How long did you mix this dough and how did u bake it Johnny?

Thanks jvp123!

I mixed this dough in the following manner: CY whisked into all of formula water, then enough flour slowly mixed in until a 100% hydrated batter was formed. This was then set in the fridge for 5 hours, after which some bubbles started to form on the surface. To this young "poolish", I added all of the salt, sugar and remaining flour. Fold dough mass onto itself until one cohesive unit. Give it a couple loose stretch and folds, then slowly add the EVOO. A couple more loose stretch and folds, then back into the fridge (covered) to put a halt on fermentation and to allow for the ingredients to mix and mingle.

Over the next hour, remove the dough mass from the fridge at 15 min intervals, each time giving it a solid stretch and fold. After that, divide and ball. Ready for use after 20 hours, probably good up to 72 hours if you set your fridge to the lowest temp possible.

I know, it's a funky mixing procedure with several steps but I've found the stretch and fold rests inside the fridge help control fermentation. It's a little time consuming, but it's very easy easy to mix (not a lot of "muscling" the dough, just easy stretch and folds).
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #344 on: January 20, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »
Wow  :drool:

That's 1 incredible looking Pie. Perfect Charring - the crumb looks beyond perfect - I can only imagine how tasty it was.

I'm also curious to know your bake time and temp?
At 9.8% Protein - how did the dough handle the stretching - did you have to be extra careful?

Thanks PizzaManic for the kind words! 

This pie baked on soapstone placed on the middle rack. Once launched, I turned on the top heating element. Oven temp: 300 degrees celsius. I didn't time the bake, but it was probably around 5-6 minutes.

The dough handled great, these were 320gm doughballs that were opened to around 13". The dough felt good too, opened nice and easy. I think mixing technique and fermentation is more important than the protein content of flour.
Il miglior fabbro

pizzapan