Author Topic: Pretty happy with change to dough technique  (Read 188 times)

Offline bradtri

Pretty happy with change to dough technique
« on: April 02, 2014, 07:59:56 PM »
After reading through some of the dough management threads, I changed my approach to reball the day before.  My technique is now:

62% hydration using KABF

Knead dough in Bosch Universal for 5-6 minutes
Ball immediately and put in plastic containers in fridge
Store in fridge 4-8 days
The day before baking, take dough out of fridge, let rest at room temp for 1 hour, then reball, put back in fridge
Take dough out 3 hours before baking
I'm currently baking on a Big Steel keg (similar to Big Green Egg) with a fibrament stone at 720 or so

The dough is incredibly easy to work with and results in a much more consistent cornicione .... oh, and it tastes great, too!!  Only have pics of the pepperoni pie for the kids, but the wife and I always make a "Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Goat Cheese" combo that is very addictive.

Offline communist

Re: Pretty happy with change to dough technique
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 08:04:02 PM »
Interesting post Bradtri!  I just did NY style pizza tonight with a bulk rise of 24 hours, then a reball, then rest for 24 hours before bake.  My family noticed a lighter yet more crispy crust.  Fazzari has recommended this on the forum in the past.  The only problem I had was my All Trumps dough was a bit tougher to spread.  When I reball, I will be careful not to overwork the dough next time.   Mark

Offline bradtri

Re: Pretty happy with change to dough technique
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 08:26:57 PM »
Yes, I felt my crust was lighter, too.   It made me think that next time I bake, I'm going to take before/after weighings of my pizza and start a thread along that subject line. 

pizzapan