Author Topic: My first 16" pie new Baking steel  (Read 880 times)

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My first 16" pie new Baking steel
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 01:12:36 AM »
Actually, the raw mushrooms support my water premise.  They leeched water as they baked, which helped with the melt. On one of your future pies, try a water mist.  You can also mist water on the cheese prior to topping, but it makes it clump a bit.

How close is the steel to the broiler? If the broiler is very close- such as less than 4", then it tends to freckle rather than evenly tan and bubble the cheese. Is it an extra powerful broiler? It's not IR or anything, right?

That's a little more cheese than I use, but it's still within the parameters.
It's not IR. I believe the broiler is 18000 BTU. My steel is about 5 inches from broiler. I will try misting with water next bake. I might try the broiler on low instead of high next time. Not sure if it will kick on if I put it on low after an hour of 550 preheat though.
Sam

Offline DIY Whiz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 12:09:13 PM »
Lol I am still going through my 50 lb bag of KASL then I will switch :-D The Saputo is definitely whole milk, I get the block from RD. I grate the cheese using my KA attachment or my Food processor shredder attachment. Does it not look right to you ? it tastes great, I love the flavor of it.

Hi Sam, the pie looks great!  What are you going to switch to after using KASL?

pete
Pete

Offline Rinoxxx

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 11:32:06 AM »
Hi Sam, the pie looks great!  What are you going to switch to after using KASL?

pete
Hey Pete, thank you  :). I am not sure yet, but if I do switch I might just go with KA bread flour.
Sam