Author Topic: Steve's quick & easy NY pie  (Read 32780 times)

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: Steve's quick & easy NY pie
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2006, 04:33:23 PM »
husker3in4,

Unless you changed the cup data from default to something else, you should get 2 1/3 cup + 1 T + 2 t. Did you use a different measuring cup depth?

- red.november

EDIT: I just realized that you didn't choose Sir Lancelot from the list.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 04:43:38 PM by November »

Offline husker3in4

• Crazy for Pizza
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2006, 11:06:47 PM »
That is correct, I used the KA bread flour in the calculations.

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2006, 11:30:57 PM »
I thought you were going to use high-gluten flour.

Offline husker3in4

• Crazy for Pizza
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2006, 05:42:21 PM »
KA Bread Flour is the highest gluten flour I had. I did just get some KASL in the mail today tho..

I also asked if anyone has mix times etc for using this recipe with a KA mixer, anyone?

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2006, 02:47:50 AM »
I am kneading the dough on speed 3 for about 2 minuteswith the Spiral hook. It should take a bit longer with the C-hook (guess-timate: 8 minutes).

(Keep in mind that KitchenAid does not condone mixing yeast doughs above speed 2.)

My methods are outline in reply #29 Page 3 in this thread.

Be sure to check out Peters reply #31 about stiring manually in place of using the paddle. There was a obvious difference in dough characteristics.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline tcarlisle

« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2014, 11:53:02 AM »
I made this dough last weekend and again last night, using KABF, using the quantities specific, and it is a very fine dough for quick needs. No, the flavor isn't going to be as developed as a 3 day cold ferment, but this is far from bland. In fact, I bet if I put this side-by-side with a 3 day cold ferment lehman dough, most people wouldn't tell the difference. I doubt there is a better quick dough out there. As far as technique, I use a kitchen aid stand mixer, and I used the dough hook for a couple minutes, then quite a bit of hand kneading. Then into a lightly greased rubbermaid 1 qt container with air tight lid. Then I put it in a slighly warm place for a few hours.

Offline Jacobus Maximus

• Location: Portland OR (where gormand foodies take cooking seriously)
  • la pizza vita che il resto particolari giusti
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2014, 09:47:09 PM »
Re: Reply #66

Pete-

So, are you saying that "Rapid-Rise" yeast can be used exactly like IDY in the recipes on this site?
I told, er asked, my wife to get some IDY the last time she went grocery shopping and this is what she came home with. I've got me Gold Medal Better for Bread and I'm looking forward to diving into your Lehmann's NY recipe...

Thx

Offline waynesize

« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2014, 09:55:20 PM »
If you look at the lower left portion of the label, you will see it says "Instant Dry Yeast". I believe it is what it is.  :)

Wayne

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2014, 10:02:15 PM »
Jacobus Maximus,

Waybe beat me to the punch. The Red Star Quick Rise yeast is indeed IDY, as are all such yeast products intended to be used with bread making machines.

Pretty much all brands of IDY are engineered to be interchangeable. Tom Lehmann makes this point about IDY in his post at Reply 12 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26029.msg262511;topicseen#msg262511 .

Peter