Author Topic: Steve's quick & easy NY pie  (Read 30604 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Steve's quick & easy NY pie
« on: March 02, 2006, 07:15:49 PM »
Dough Recipe

10.7 oz. (by weight) high gluten flour
7.4 oz. (by weight) cold water
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. instant dry yeast

Sauce Recipe

28 oz. can 6 in 1 ground tomatoes
28 oz. can Bonta pizza sauce with Basil
28 oz. can water
2 grams dried oregano
4 grams black pepper
4 grams granulated garlic
4 grams granulated onion
8 grams salt

Cheese mix

1/3 part shredded provolone
2/3 part shredded mozzarella

The sauce can be made up ahead of time. Mix all ingredients and store in an airtight container.

For the dough, add flour and cold water to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel cutting blade. Pulse several times until a cohesive dough ball forms (no raw flour can be seen.) Stop and let dough rest for 30 minutes. After the 30 minute autolyze period, turn food processor on and add the salt and yeast through the feed tube. Continue processing (kneading) the dough for approximately 30 seconds (the dough should feel warm to the touch.) Remove the dough from the bowl and briefly knead (you may have to use a little bench flour to keep the dough from sticking to you and/or the counter.) Shape the dough into a ball, lightly coat with olive oil, and place in a sealed container to rise. Allow to rise in a warm place for two hours.

After the two hour rise, remove the dough from the container being careful not to deform the ball. Place the dough ball on the counter and press then stretch into shape using your fists. Place dough on a makeup board (or peel), sauce, cheese, and top. Bake on a pizza stone in a preheated 550 degree F. oven until golden brown.

This pizza has a wonderful flavor even though it has a short rise time. Everyone who has tried it absolutely loves the flavor and the texture of the crust. The sauce is excellent at well. This pizza is very much like the "street" pizza of NYC (IMHO) and is quick and easy to make.

Makes one 16" pizza.

Steve  :chef:
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Steve's quick & easy NY pie
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 02:33:02 AM »
steve, that is really a great looking recipe.

Just wondering where you find the bonta in 28 oz cans.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 09:56:17 AM »
steve, that is really a great looking recipe.

Just wondering where you find the bonta in 28 oz cans.

Well, I cheated! I used 28 oz. of Bonta from a #10 can.  :-[
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 12:02:23 PM »
escalon was selling 28oz cans of the bella rosa pasty stuff that was very similar to bonta, but now it is no longer available on their website.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 03:04:48 PM »
escalon was selling 28oz cans of the bella rosa pasty stuff that was very similar to bonta, but now it is no longer available on their website.

I need to experiment with regular tomato paste since the Bonta is pretty much the same, IMHO, with a hint of basil.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 09:56:12 AM »
Yesterday, I made another pie using the recipe that I posted at the start of this thread.

All I can say is that this recipe produces the closest thing to "NYC Street Pizza" that I've ever been able to make at home. It's actually better, IMHO, than anything that I've had in the past.

My wife and kids are very hard to please when it comes to pizza and I can now say that there is not one single crumb left on the serving pan when we use this recipe.

So, if you're looking for NYC "Street" pizza, please give this recipe a try... you won't regret it!!

Offline JF_Aidan_Pryde

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 09:15:56 AM »
Steve,
Looks good. Given that the recipe is essentially employing autolyse, IDY, fast single rise, what do you think attributes its great flavour? My results previously with fast IDY rise has been pretty bland. But I am definitely looking for more convenient recipes than my overnight preferment rise. ;)

Offline chiguy

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 12:20:40 PM »
 Oh no , Steve
 We have all come so far here at pizzamaking.com, how could you do this to us. I mean a 2 hour rise, say it aint so.  :'(
 Well being that the recipe calls for 69% hydration it is no surprise you have been able to produce a decent crust. There is more yeast activity in a higher hydration dough. Also letting the dough rise in a warm place also moves it along faster. I would be curious to know what was you're finished dough temperature as well? As for this can also make a huge impact on yeast activity. I hope whoever tries you're recipe will take the dough temperature to give us pioneers a finished temperature to shoot for. Thanks for posting the recipe and for giving us the greatest gift of all pizzamaking.com      Chiguy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 03:48:38 PM »
The logic is simple: My wife calls me at work and says she wants pizza for dinner. I scratch my head and think "you should have told me that yesterday!!" ... Ugh!! Ok, I tell her, you make the dough and I'll make the pizza when I get home... and that's why we have the quick version!

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 05:49:36 PM »
Steve, we do this all the time, since time is so limited, but my daughter who is living at home again, to save money for her marraige in October, has started making major batches and freezing them. The results have been phenominal. Go figure...maybe we're just hungry.

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 02:48:03 PM »
Steve,
I tried your quick & easy dough recipe this weekend.  The pizza turned out pretty good, not as flavorful, imho, as the longer rise recipes, but not bad at all. 

The dough was very sticky coming out of the food processor and not really in a ball form.  But after scrapping out of the processor, I was able to form a ball with some hand kneeding on a floured surface.  After about 2 1/2 rising the dough stretched very easily. Almost too easily, the dough really stretched out.

Baked on a combination of screen and tile the crust edge puffed nicely, but didn't brown a lot.  The crust actually tasted a lot like the crust on the pies at Vinny's Italian Grill which I believe you are familiar.  The pizza certainly had a NY feel, it was easily foldable!

I topped the pie with a 2:1 mix of Polly-0 mozz and provalone, an uncooked 6 in 1 based tomato sauce, and chicken-tomato sausage.  I'll post pictures when I get home.

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 08:57:35 PM »
Steve's Quick & Easy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 08:01:44 AM »
I agree that the longer-rise doughs have much more flavor... but it seems that lately, with my busy work schedule and family life, I've been using this particular recipe much more often (wife calls me at work, says she wants pizza, so I have her make the dough up about three hours in advance.) It's not bad... better than anything I could buy locally... even better than Vinny's, OMHO.

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 04:52:43 PM »
I can relate to being busy!  I'll definitely make this recipe again when I don't plan ahead!

Offline billneild

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 09:55:25 PM »
Steve - Your dough recipe looks very close to the "NY Pizza dough recipe".  I've been in the same boat in terms of time and the pies come out fine.  My last two pies were supposed to be made as follows: The first on the day I made the dough with about 3 hours to proof and the second a couple of days later.  Two friends called up hungry (after I was in the middle of making up the dough) and we asked them over and had to cook both pies.  They were started with different water temps, one was in the fridge longer than the other, etc.  They both came out terrific.  The husband (from NYC) said it was as good as anything in NY.  The truth is that there's a lot of flexibility in how and when you bake if you have good ingredients and a good recipe.  Until someone conducts a double blind taste test on identical formulas allowing for only one variable this is all a matter of opinion not fact.  If it works, go for it.

Bill

Offline charbo

• Supporting Member
  • Wheat
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2006, 11:02:55 AM »
Steve,

I notice that your recipe does not call for oil in the dough.  What are your thoughts on oil in a NY-style dough?

cb

Offline SteveVit

• Supporting Member
    • Yo!
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 10:26:07 AM »
I like that recipe! I think the hydration level might be a little higher than I'm used to working with. The pizza was round but I had some problems with the dough sticking to my metal peel. I think the "quick & easy NY pie"  is great and the texture is amazing. Here's a pic of my square "quick and easy"
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006, 07:37:41 AM »
Steve,

I notice that your recipe does not call for oil in the dough.  What are your thoughts on oil in a NY-style dough?

cb

I use to add oil to my NY pizza dough, but now that I've switched to a higher hydration level I've found that I can get a finished crust that's crisp on the outside and soft/chewy on the inside.

Since I use a home oven, the pizza has to bake longer due to the lower temperature. This prolonged baking tends to dry out the crust. By making the dough wetter, it stays moist in the oven.

Offline elicheez

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2006, 10:13:05 AM »
I've been looking for an easy recipe for my first pizza, and this looks like it. I'm going to try it today, wish me luck!

Offline elicheez

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2006, 12:34:33 PM »
my pizza was succesful but not stupendous.

I made 2 batches of dough. First I followed the recipe exactly, but the dough seemed too dry to me: it wouldn't mix anymore in the processor because it would just form one big ball and go around in a circle. I put it in the mixer to get the salt and yeast in. I made another batch with more water. This time it was a much softer dough, but still didn't mix well in the processor- I unstuck it from the blade and mixed a few times, but the blade wasn't cutting the dough and it didn't heat up at all.

After rising, the first batch of dough easily formed a ball but was a little firm (I'm comparing to Bertucci's dough, which I practiced with). The second batch was so soft it was hard to form into a ball, but once coated with flour it was pretty easy to work with. I cooked on a stone at 550deg. The first pizza was pretty unimpressive, the dough had a bread-like quality where there wasn't much difference between the inside and outside. The second one was a better, with a softer inside. Pretty good for a 2nd try (definitely edible!), but not as awesome as I'm hoping to get.

Next time I'm planning on:
-making it in a mixer
-full 12 hour rise

any other suggestions?