Author Topic: Sprouted Grain Flour Pizza on LBE (Little Black Egg)  (Read 771 times)

Offline iamrook85

Sprouted Grain Flour Pizza on LBE (Little Black Egg)
« on: October 03, 2013, 10:59:12 PM »
I have been making 00 Flour pizza on my LBE for some time now and after seeing this article:

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/instructionals/59-written-recipes/223-sprouted-whole-wheat-pizza-dough.html

I am interested in changing up to sprouted grain flour for a change.  I am wondering if anyone has tried sprouted grain flour Neapolitan pizzas on the LBE?  I have found some threads about sprouted grain flour pizzas, but not specifically on the LBE.  Has anyone tried this?  I am curious about adjustments that need to be made in regards to hydration and stone temp.

Villa, I know a couple years ago you posted on a sprouted grain post, did you end up trying it?
Nice work! I'm going to have to give this a go.

Thanks,

Mike

Offline iamrook85

Re: Sprouted Grain Flour Pizza on LBE (Little Black Egg)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 04:34:31 PM »
Just following up.  Anyone have any luck with this??

Offline misterschu

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 09:59:03 AM »
Glad you followed up or I'm not sure I would've found this post.  I'm going to try to get some sprouted wheat flour and try this recipe.  I'll report back what I find but it might not be for a month or so.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 02:56:08 PM »
Mike,   I have been playing with sprouted wheat for a little while, mostly in baking, but some pizza as well.  For baking, I had some trouble with the loaves collapsing when using more than 50% sprouted wheat flour.  I have been very pleased with the taste of sprouted white whole wheat, not as much with the red wheat  - it didn't seem to improve the flavor in bread by sprouting the grains, and in one recipe, it actually came out bitter ( though I have been using it in the preferment, and that might be the problem).  For pizza, I have made several pies using 70% whole wheat white flour , and  30% whole wheat white  that I have sprouted, then dried, then ground.  The taste has been fabulous.   I have used a variation of Scott's NY pizza dough ( skipping the oil )  and the Villa Roma recipe as well, both have been great.  I don't have a LBE, but use the Blackstone - usually launching at a stone temp of around 650 F with a bake time of around 2 minutes.    I haven't tried any 100% sprouted for pizza dough, and considering the work involved in sprouting, I doubt I will since the taste is so great as it is.   BTW, I am using an electric stone grinder to grind the wheat berries and the sprouted berries. 

pizzapan