Author Topic: Any Bosch Universal Plus Suggestions?  (Read 3160 times)

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Any Bosch Universal Plus Suggestions?
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2013, 04:08:19 PM »
If anyone is interested here's a thread about the small bowl. For me it's just OK.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23760.0.html
Marty

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 12:21:02 PM »
Tony,
Please post about your experiences with small batches in the new stainless steel bowl with bottom mounted dough hook.   So far, it almost looks like small (12-14" or less) single pie batches might need some additional hand kneading with any of these attachments?

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 01:00:10 PM »
Tony,
Please post about your experiences with small batches in the new stainless steel bowl with bottom mounted dough hook.   So far, it almost looks like small (12-14" or less) single pie batches might need some additional hand kneading with any of these attachments?

Will do! It is supposed to be delivered today so I'll probably use it tomorrow. My wife is away for the week so I'll be doing pizze all week long, testing out different methods!  ;D

Ciao!

Tony

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 04:38:20 PM »
Thanks Tony,
My Universal Plus should deliver before the end of the week.  I'm thinking about starting to do breads, given all the flours I'm getting. This machine should make it easier.

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2013, 06:07:27 PM »
Thanks Tony,
My Universal Plus should deliver before the end of the week.  I'm thinking about starting to do breads, given all the flours I'm getting. This machine should make it easier.

You're welcome. My SS bowl came about 3 pm and I've made a (calculated) 11 oz dough. I took pictures and notes and will post them -- probably later tonight or tomorrow -- since I going next door to the "kids" house. They are feeding ME for a change  :D (Gee, I hope they have pizza)

In short, though it appeared to do very well. But then again, what do I know, I'm only half Italian  ;)
(the other half being Scottish-Irish and German -- meaning, of course, that, whenever I invade other countries for their beer and liquor I try to do it as cheaply as possible)

Longer message to follow. Wait! Out!

Tony

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
Re: SS bowl
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2013, 10:30:03 PM »
Ok, Just back from the kid's house. Nice dinner and wine. Here's the info on the SS bowl. As you can see from the pics the dough blade has one coated and it fits close to the bowl. I mixed a dough calculated to 11 oz using 181 gm KA bread flour, and 118 gm water, with 0.35% IDY, 1.75% salt, 2% sugar, and 3% olive oil. I put the water in the bowl first, then added the flour and "spun" (on 1) for about a minute to mix. I then let that sit for 20 minutes to hydrate, added the yeast and spun again. Finally added the rest of the dry ingredients and lastly the oil.

I mixed then, still on one, stopping ever two minutes to evaluate the dough. Towards the end I measured dough temperature. At 7 minutes the dough was looking good but still not quite smooth and the temp was 90 degrees F. At 9 minutes temp was 92, and at 11 minutes about 100 -102. I stopped mixing at this point since I was concerned about the temperature. The dough seemed to be quite soft and elastic and, while I didn't do a real "windowpane test", it did stretch nicely.

Oh, and while the pictures do not show it, the dough did "bounce" around the bottom of the bowl every so often.

The mixer seemed to do a good job of incorporating the flour and ingredients and I didn't feel the "need to knead" by hand. We'll see what things are like tomorrow after it parties in the frig overnight.

The cleanup was very easy. I even used, in deference to my wife, some soap -- although, left to my own devices I probable would have just used water  ;D (she's a nurse and they ALL have OCD -- although as a neonatologist, I must admit I have some too!)

I'll post a follow up if the dough comes out ok. If it doesn't I will, of course, promptly sneak off to some other country (like Oklahoma).

I took a bunch of pics but the site will apparently only allow the up load of 8 max.

Ciao!

Tony

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:33:11 PM by atalbert »

Offline PizzaProbie

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 02:41:54 AM »
Tony
What speed are you mixing at? The one picture looked fast.,,Or is just my old eyes not seeing straight?

Ed :chef:

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 10:49:45 AM »
Tony
What speed are you mixing at? The one picture looked fast.,,Or is just my old eyes not seeing straight?

Ed :chef:

Ed,

Everything was done at speed one, except for about 15 seconds when I went to two just to see the difference in what it did to the dough (nothing).

BTW, don't worry about your eyes, I thought the same when I checked my picture. I guess just camera artifact. I actually took some video after that picture because of how it looked.

Besides "Old Guys Rule!"  ;D

Ciao!

Tony

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 11:45:18 AM »
Thanks again Tony.  ;D

Old guys may rule, but I'd trade my Universal Plus to be 30 again or even 40 or 50.  :-D

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 11:56:38 AM »
Thanks again Tony.  ;D

Old guys may rule, but I'd trade my Universal Plus to be 30 again or even 40 or 50.  :-D

Amen, brother. And for me -- even 60! :D

Offline PizzaProbie

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2013, 01:34:58 PM »
 Hey guys
60 would be great, anything younger than that works too.

Ed ^^^

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2013, 01:46:56 PM »
Hey guys
60 would be great, anything younger than that works too.

Ed ^^^

Given a specific choice I would opt for 29. Old enough to get some respect and young enough to .............

Well, never mind  >:D

Offline PizzaProbie

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2013, 02:34:42 PM »
Given a specific choice I would opt for 29. Old enough to get some respect and young enough to .............

Well, never mind  >:D
^^^

Offline kneader65

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2013, 06:55:47 PM »
In regard to the sequence of adding ingredients to the mixer,I would suggest liquids first followed  by flour.By slow addition of flour into the liquids,you are ensuring even mixing of the ingredients ie. first a slurry is formed so the dry flour easily gets incorporated into the slurry until a ball forms finally.If you were to add liquid into the the flour, several lumps are formed without the liquid getting evenly distributed into the flour.The right process will reduce your kneading time.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2013, 10:16:52 AM »
Ok, well ... 29 aside  ;D   I tried my BU+ out for a small batch of bread dough.  I wasn't impressed.  I basically ended up having to hand knead. 

I'm going to order the small bowl and give that a shot.  I'm thinking the standard bowl is not friendly to small batches.   

Offline pbspelly

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2013, 11:28:35 AM »
As you've figured out on your own, the stainless steel bowl with the hooks on the bottom makes a huge huge difference with the Bosch.  I bought a Bosch about six months ago and was quite unhappy with the way it performed with the center column bowl. So I bought a used ss bowl on eBay and am quite happy with the way it works now with the hooks on the bottom.  I had a KA before, and I still prefer the way it kneads, and it's certainly better for small batches. But I can now make six dough balls of 20 ounces apiece at one time in the Bosch, which I would never have been able to do in the KA.  It's also nice that the Bosch has suction cups on the bottom and doesn't walk all over the counter, like the KA does. So I can start it and go do other things. Most importantly, it's nice that I don't have to worry as much about burning out the engine or the worm gear, which is what happened with my KA after a few too many heavy doughs, and is what reportedly happens to almost every KA eventually if you make a lot of bread and pizza.

I read the Cooks Illustrated review and found it interesting but flawed.  It gave the Bosch a poor review, but, crucially, they didn't take into account that (1) the Bosch works much better with the stainless steel bowl, (2) it works better if you make big batches and there's really no reason not to, since you can always freeze the unusued portion, and (3) the Bosch probably won't burn out like the KAs will.  So while the KA might perform better for a brief product review test, it sucks to have to install a new worm gear, or even buy a new motor, every few years.