This is my first shot at making any type of whole wheat pie. It was the only way I could convince my girlfriend to let me keep feeding her my pizza experiments.
I was shooting for two 14" pies, similar to NY style. Here's the recipe I settled on:
Flour (100%): 434.48 g | 15.33 oz | 0.96 lbs
Water (72%): 312.83 g | 11.03 oz | 0.69 lbs
ADY (1.3%): 5.65 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.49 tsp | 0.5 tbsp
Salt (4%): 17.38 g | 0.61 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3.62 tsp | 1.21 tbsp
Olive Oil (1%): 4.34 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.97 tsp | 0.32 tbsp
Non-Diastatic Barley Malt Syrup (2.5%): 10.86 g | 0.38 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.55 tsp | 0.52 tbsp
Total (180.8%): 785.55 g | 27.71 oz | 1.73 lbs | TF = 0.09
Single Ball: 392.77 g | 13.85 oz | 0.87 lbs
As noted in the subject, the flour was a 50/50 split between KA White Whole Wheat and KA Bread Flour. The barley malt syrup was used in place of sugar mainly because I bought it for the purpose of making bagels last weekend, and figured I ought to use it in something.
I proofed the ADY in a small amount of warm water in the mixing bowl, and mixed the malt syrup with the remaining water. Added the syrup water to the yeast water and added roughly 80% of the flour and all of the salt, and mixed on low for maybe 2 minutes, just until everything came together. I covered this and let it rest 15 minutes. I then put the mixer back on low and slowly worked in the rest of the flour. This took maybe 3 minutes to get a firm ball. Turned the mixer up to second speed and kneaded for about 8 minutes. I wasn't getting the window-paning I was looking for, so I let it go another 2-3 minutes. It looked good at that point, so out of the mixer, balled and put into an oiled bowl on the counter top for 2 hours. It was still a bit tacky when I first took it out of the mixer, but I had read that it would suck up some more moisture as it rested, so I decided to have faith. It did dry up a bit more while on the counter.
I had already gotten quite a bit of rise, so I punched it down lightly, split in two, and re-balled. Then, off to the fridge for 24 hours.
The next day, I pulled one dough ball and heated the oven to 500F (my max) for about 80 minutes with the stone on the lowest rack. Shaped, brushed with a tiny bit of olive oil, and topped with fresh mozzarella, sauteed spinach, and a little fontina.
Gave it probably about 7-8 minutes in the oven, turning once because my oven heats unevenly. Below you can see the finished product. I think I could definitely make some adjustments. The bottom browned pretty nicely and had a good crunch. I probably could've gotten some more color on top before I pulled it. The texture was also not quite right for my liking, as I prefer a more open, airy crust. This was a little dense and the slightest bit dry. Stupid whole wheat. (The picture of the slice makes it look more open than it really was. I must have just happened to cut that one in the middle of a big bubble.)
I think I could probably up the hydration even more, and next time I might let the dough rest on the peel for a few minutes after shaping.