Author Topic: I just made the best pizza ever! It was all the sauce!  (Read 2212 times)

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
I just made the best pizza ever! It was all the sauce!
« on: February 13, 2016, 05:29:47 PM »
Well I had two things going for me this time. The dough was much more elastic than normal and I am 90% sure it is because I mixed it longer. It was mixing real well yesterday so I just let it keep mixing. I usually only do a 4-5 minute mix but this time was at least 8 minutes.

That wasn't a big deal though the dough tasted about the same the real difference was my sauce. I know when I first started coming here and reading everyone said San Marzano was the best and when I was novice I didn't see any great results.

Well there is a BIG difference in the amount of water in the San Marzano. I have been getting the peeled plum and blending them up. However not much water drains out which is nice because I get more sauce.

I made my sauce yesterday real simple. I used cento San Marzano tomatoes blended them and only put salt, sugar, and garlic powder in one batch and another batch identical but with oregano. It is true keep it simple. I was adding basil, terragon, and other stuff and all the flavors just clump together and take away.

Next time I will do just salt and sugar in one batch and add something else to the other batch maybe just oregano. It really makes a difference if you let the tomatoes sit in the fridge over night. For some reason straight from the can onto the dough has to much of a raw tomato taste to it. However throwing some salt and sugar in it and letting it sit overnight gives it a better pizza flavor "at least what I am looking for".

These pizzas I just made was practically identical to my best local pizza shops. I'm almost considering myself a pro now lol.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: I just made the best pizza ever! It was all the sauce!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 05:49:30 PM »
 which sauce did you like better,with oegano or without?

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 11:30:45 PM »
I actually liked w/out the oregano little better. I believe I added about .35g for around 13 oz of the sauce. While it was the best sauce I made there is still room for improvement.

I was using Red Novembers recipe modified a bit and I tried using the microwave extraction method he talks about but I found just tossing the spices into the sauce and letting sit over night actually gives you a more potent sauce. So I stopped doing the microwave extraction.

Last week I thought the flavor was just everything and nothing at the same time. I decided I was going to go more basic and drop out a lot of the ingredients. While I liked the sauce the garlic powder tasted dry so I think I need to use fresh garlic instead, I believe fresh ingredients will yield me a more savory sauce.

I am going to try w/out garlic powder and maybe do just a basil on one and just an oregano on the other next time. I have totally become a pizza snob now LOL. All I can think about is those cooking shows where they can tell what is in the food and complain about too much or not enough and using dried vs fresh. I totally get it now haha.

Offline texmex

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 09:17:03 AM »

Last week I thought the flavor was just everything and nothing at the same time. I decided I was going to go more basic and drop out a lot of the ingredients. While I liked the sauce the garlic powder tasted dry so I think I need to use fresh garlic instead, I believe fresh ingredients will yield me a more savory sauce.

Be careful with using fresh uncooked garlic in anything you plan on storing.
Reesa

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 12:33:17 PM »
Be careful with using fresh uncooked garlic in anything you plan on storing.

Would it not be ok in a sauce overnight? Would you think I would be better off in just grinding some up and adding to the sauce right before I make the pizza?

Also, how potent do you think fresh garlic would be as compared to garlic powder?

Offline texmex

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 02:19:50 PM »
There have been discussions here about not using uncooked garlic to infuse oil unless you are using it all up. I  imagine this translates to sauces for pizza, which are not normally cooked, either.

It isn't about the flavor, rather a food safety issue where uncooked garlic is involved.

My preference is to just slice the garlic and put it on the pies. Same thing with herbs, and chile flakes....sprinkle them on the individual pies.  I'm becoming partial to plain pureed tomato sauce, thinned out a little and a little salt added for a sauce that is compatable with whatever.
Reesa

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 02:52:25 PM »
It's a botulism thing; raw garlic under oil is in a low-acid, anaerobic environment, so c. botulinum can grow and produce toxin
-- not really an issue with a water-based (and acid) tomato sauce.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/uc_davis/uc_davis_garlic.pdf
In grams we trust.

Offline texmex

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 02:54:10 PM »
Thank you for that clarification. ..my memory has dead spots.
Reesa

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 09:15:09 PM »
If the whole thread is read on PMQ think tank, pizza sauce with fresh garlic has to be used carefully.

This was my question, and Tom Lehmann answered different question I had.

Tom, Is a fresh garlic/herb/oil that used the MAE method safe for a day?

http://thinktank.pmq.com/threads/garlic-butter-in-dough-recipe.15722/

Norma

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 07:59:29 AM »
Good information. I noticed Tom had mentioned nuking your sauce. I don't cook mine I just toss in the fridge overnight. I basically open a can of tomatoes blend them, strain them a bit, add some spices, and toss in fridge. I then take it out with the dough so it can warm up. I have found that cold sauce gives a somewhat watery, wet dough.

From reading that thread: I actually have been thinking about doing a garlic crust rub. Years ago like 4-5. I was eating Dominoes quite a bit and absolutely loved the garlic they brushed on the crust. It appears that may be a garlic flavored butter oil? I will have to look for that.

The garlic is not a huge thing for me, and I have twin toddlers who are not even 3 yet, so I will just skip it as it isn't worth it. I can always just add some when I cook it if I want.

What is MAE?

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 08:18:44 AM »
Good information. I noticed Tom had mentioned nuking your sauce. I don't cook mine I just toss in the fridge overnight. I basically open a can of tomatoes blend them, strain them a bit, add some spices, and toss in fridge. I then take it out with the dough so it can warm up. I have found that cold sauce gives a somewhat watery, wet dough.

From reading that thread: I actually have been thinking about doing a garlic crust rub. Years ago like 4-5. I was eating Dominoes quite a bit and absolutely loved the garlic they brushed on the crust. It appears that may be a garlic flavored butter oil? I will have to look for that.

The garlic is not a huge thing for me, and I have twin toddlers who are not even 3 yet, so I will just skip it as it isn't worth it. I can always just add some when I cook it if I want.

What is MAE?

Greg,

I don't think Tom Lehmann mentioned nuking my sauce.  It was the nuking of the olive oil with the fresh garlic and herbs.  I don't cook my sauce, since it cooks when baked on a pizza.

November's MAE method is the microwave assisted water extraction method.  November explains that method at Reply 7
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3735.msg32136#msg32136

If you look at the Mellow Mushroom you can read how they coat their rims. 

You might want to read Tom Lehmann's post about pizza sauce at Reply 165 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3735.msg237549#msg237549

Peter's post at Reply 5 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3735.msg31883#msg31883 is also helpful.

Norma

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 04:45:48 PM »
Right I know all about Novembers Microwave extraction. I posted that I was doing that in my first post. I was confused on what MAE meant as Tom had wrote this.

"Are we talking about commercially MAE processed or done in a home microwave?"
 Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

That gave me the impression MAE was something other than Microwave. I guess he meant Commercial Microwave.

As far as nuking goes Tom wrote this from post 16:

"One other thing to keep in mind with your sauce, if you add onion or garlic to the sauce be sure to really "nuke" it, you want it above 185F, not from a food safety stand point, but this will denature the enzymes in the onion and garlic keeping them from catalyzing the pectin in the tomato allowing it to turn into tomato jelly (actually, it's pretty good too, but that's another story) which then leads you to thinning the sauce with even more water and further diluting the flavor."
 Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

I'll check out the other threads as well.

Offline gfgman

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 09:45:31 AM »
I'm using Alta Cucina whole plum tomatoes, which are probably right there taste wise compared to the widely available SM brands. 
I cut up a small sliver of garlic and heat it on low in a small amount of vegetable oil until nice and fragrant.  Probably about 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. oil.  I throw that in with my blended tomatoes, and add some oregano.  That's it.  I make right before I bake the pie.
Fresh basil is already in the can, as is salt.  No sugar either because I find the tomatoes sweet enough. 
This recipe basically came from watching video where an operator in Philly was making sauce for tomato pies. 

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 03:03:22 PM »
I have found that the cento seem to be just as good as the san marzano. I found a new place about 35 minutes from me that is whole sale cash and carry supplies. Not sure how I missed them when I was looking.

I recent search for pizza boxes and found them. They sold me 50 16" boxes for $17.95 The guy there was very knowledgeable in pizza making and he assures me that Full Red is better than Cento Tomatoes.

They are restaurant only tomatoes not sold in stores. He said I could buy a case of 6 for like $23 or something like that. They are huge cans like 6 lb lol. But I pay $3+ a can now for 28oz depending on what I get. It would be super cheap to buy a case of 6. He said I could open it and freeze it and it would be just as good when I use it later.

Offline gfgman

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 11:58:35 AM »
I can get Full Red, and many other Stanislaus products for a couple dimes shy of $5, so 6 for $23 would be a good price.  I've really wanted to try Full Red.  However, I really like the taste of Alta Cucina's.  My favorite local NY joint, and also a new Neo joint are both using them for their sauce, so I'm sticking with them for now. 

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 04:44:49 PM »
Ok so just called this place up. In case anyone is interested it is Hillcrest Food Services in Mendon, NY
http://www.hillcrestfooddistributors.com/aboutus.html

They sell single cans now and then when they get damaged cases or returns. I asked them what they had that they could sell me a single can of. They brought me these two cans and told me to try them out. $5.50 each. I think they are a bit cheaper if I buy a case of 6 but I didn't want that many right now lol.

They also sold me a 6lb block of Wisconsin mozzarella. Not sure the exact brand name, I'll call tomorrow and ask. He said I will like it and told me to cut off a chunk and let sit in the fridge  overnight uncovered the night before I make my pizza. He said it will grate much better.

wordpress