Author Topic: 2 Amys Pizza – Washington, DC  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
2 Amys Pizza – Washington, DC
« on: March 02, 2006, 10:57:37 PM »
Visiting 2 Amys Pizza means you must learn the dreaded P word – patience.  This place is packed from open to close.  My wife and I stopped in for lunch last Saturday and there was a line at 1:30 pm.  However, since we were able to grab two seats at the bar and nosh on olives and some delicious almonds, roasted in their brick oven, the wait wasn’t too painful.  2 Amys is a member of the Verace Pizza Napoletana Association and follows D.O.C. standards for several of its pies.  Regarded by many as the best pizzeria in Washington, DC, I would have a hard time disagreeing.  In my opinion, it is better than Matchbox and Ella’s two other restaurants with wood-fired ovens.

I ordered their Margherita Extra which follows the DOC standards and is made with tomato, mozzarella di buffala, basil, cherry tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, and sea salt.  My wife had a pizza with fresh mozzarella, procuitto di parma and olives.  Both were delicious (pictures below).  The crust on both pizzas was terrific.  Thin in the middle, nice char, and a good cornicione in the crust.  Toppings were great too.  On the Pizza Margherita, the buffalo mozzarella was creamy and the cherry tomatoes were nice and sweet – very tasty for this time of year.  The procuitto was very good, and if you like smoked meats, 2 Amys has a variety available every day.  We finished off our lunch with a panna cotta and lemon cookie desert which was also delicious. 

I was surprised to see that the oven was only 600-630 F according to the thermostat on the deck.  And, while this seems low for Neapolitan style pizza, they sure were good.  The oven may get hotter later in the day, again were there at lunch.  Because the place was slammed, I didn’t try to talk to the pizzaioli. I asked the waitress what type of flour they used for the dough, but I couldn’t understand what she said due to her heavy accent (Spanish) and the background noise in the restaurant.   In terms of ambiance, 2 Amys isn’t fancy and it is a bit on the loud side.  The real downside to the restaurant is the the crowds.  Because the restaurant is popular, it is busy all the time – but it’s worth a wait.

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: 2 Amys Pizza – Washington, DC
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 08:59:45 AM »
I also live in the DC area and enjoy 2 Amys. Your observation about the oven temperature is right--I have asked the oven operator if he fires his oven above the 625-640 I generally note when I am there. He has responded that he thinks about 625 is ideal.  I also note that they use  a Woodstone oven. From what I have read on this forum, and in particular notes about true Neopolitan pizza, it would suggest that both the type of oven and low temperature would not produce a great, traditional Neopolitan pie. I have not been to Naples (yet), but the pizza at 2 Amys does seem to replicate what I understand to be a great Neopolitan pie. The oven operator also indicated that they use imported flour, but I did not follow-up and ask "which one". We can probably presume that it is Caputo.

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 09:26:27 AM »
Can you recommend a time of day/day of the week to go? Sounds like it's crowded 24/7.

Have you tried PieTanza in Arlington, off Lee Highway?  It's also a Neapolitan joint, though not VPN certified.

Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 09:49:15 AM »
On that oven the temp probe is located about one inch below the heath surface so the actual temp on the hearth is a little hotter than what the gauge is showing.   :)
-JP-

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 09:45:39 PM »
Fio,
From what I've seen and based on other reviews and web sites, anytime on the weekend is going to be busy.  I would guess midweek, late afternoon (sort of post lunch - pre-dinner) would be the least busy time. If you can get a spot at the bar, the wait isn't too bad, 2 Amys has a couple good microbrews and an Italian beer on tap. The only problem is there are only about 6-8 seats at the bar.

pizzapan