Author Topic: Dough sticking to peel  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Qballgreg

• I Love Pizza!
Dough sticking to peel
« on: October 05, 2013, 08:45:28 AM »
I am a newbie, just received my Blackstone Pizza Oven, and used it last evening for the first time...we had trouble sliding the pizza from the peel into the oven.  We put flour on the peel, pressed the dough into shape and desired thickness (thin), and loaded it with toppings.  The problem occurred when trying to slide the pizza from the peel into the oven....it didn't want to go.  So, should we flatten the dough on another surface, and then transfer to the peel (with flour), just when ready to put into the oven?  Or is there some other advice?

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Dough sticking to peel
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 09:42:14 AM »
So, should we flatten the dough on another surface, and then transfer to the peel (with flour), just when ready to put into the oven?

Yes.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 03:49:53 PM »
Use a wood peel to make and launch the pizza.  Dust it with flour, dust off most of it, put semolina on it and build your pie.  Once it's stretched on the wood peel, give it a good shake to see that it slides around, top the pizza and when you're ready to launch, give it a good shake again to see that it slides on the peel. 

A metal peel is fine for fetching it out of the oven.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 03:51:32 PM by bbqchuck »

Offline pz

• I Love Pizza!
    • good food & friends
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 12:49:03 AM »
Use a wood peel to make and launch the pizza.  Dust it with flour, dust off most of it, put semolina on it and build your pie.  Once it's stretched on the wood peel, give it a good shake to see that it slides around, top the pizza and when you're ready to launch, give it a good shake again to see that it slides on the peel. 

A metal peel is fine for fetching it out of the oven.

This is our method and we've not lost a single pie to sticking.  We switched to corn meal from semolina (no reason other than my baking partner, wife, prefers it)  One thing to consider is the time on the peel while you build the pie - take too long or pile it too heavy and you might get some sticking.  We like to shake to break it loose periodically to ensure that it does not stick.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Offline D C

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 08:27:05 PM »
This is our method and we've not lost a single pie to sticking.  We switched to corn meal from semolina (no reason other than my baking partner, wife, prefers it)  One thing to consider is the time on the peel while you build the pie - take too long or pile it too heavy and you might get some sticking.  We like to shake to break it loose periodically to ensure that it does not stick.

I just use straight flour on the peel, no corn-meal or semolina.   It's a mad dash from when the dough hits the peel to when it goes in the oven.  Frequent jigglng to make sure it's not sticking.  Unfortunately, I have lost a pie or two to sticking  :(

Offline pbspelly

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 12:23:30 PM »
Semolina or rice flour on the peel makes a huge difference.  They don't absorb moisture like regular flour does, and so provide a much better sliding surface.

Offline D C

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 10:44:29 PM »
Semolina or rice flour on the peel makes a huge difference.  They don't absorb moisture like regular flour does, and so provide a much better sliding surface.

No impact on the taste of the final product?

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 11:47:33 PM »

D C,

I used rice flour as my peel flour for my pizzas at market and there is no impact on the taste of the bottom crust in my opinion.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline mp233069

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 02:23:37 AM »
You need a wood peel to launch and metal to retrieve.
Mario

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 09:17:11 AM »
Lots of good suggestions above.

For a guy that never played in the NFL, I throw a lot of footballs.  Ok, not so much anymore, but still from time to time.

One caution about rice flour is that for me, it chars quickly and sticks to the stone above 800F.  It is a real bugger to scrap off.  Burning it off works better (esp in the Blackstone), but that takes time.  I'm especially careful when hosting parties because the slices tend to go fast and downtime slows the feast.

Dave

Offline cooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 08:23:19 AM »
give it a good shake to see that it slides around

And if it doesn't slide, though if you're doing things right it should, you can pluck up an edge and blow a puff of air under the pie, quickly dropping the edge back down to trap the air.  Probably not in a commercial environment, but it works at home.  Be careful though after doing that, as the air cushion makes things very slippery.  Don't accidentally dump your pizza.

I dust my wooden peel with flour, then shake/wipe off most of it.  Work fairly quickly after placing the shaped dough on the peel.  The more time it spends on the peel the more likely it will stick.

FWIW, I bake on a stone preheated at 550ish.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 08:25:02 AM by cooper »

Offline pbspelly

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 03:12:59 PM »
Not materially. Less with semolina flour than rice, which is why I prefer it, but rice flour is slipperier.

Offline SC

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 12:14:18 AM »
I have a very nice Epicurean brand peel made out of some synthetic composite. Problem is flour doesn't "stick" to it but the pizza often does.  I find my cheap wooden peel holds the flour better when I rub it into the peel, and the pizza doesn't stick as often.  Have to jiggle it quite frequently. I stretch my dough in the air, then throw it on the peel and load it as fast as I can. Any holes in the dough and you are virtually guaranteed it will stick to the peel. Have tried corn meal but find it burns. Have not tried rice flour.

Offline trblaze

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 01:34:16 PM »
Last resort always have on hand floss (for teeth) and with one quick swipe under the pie it
will come off almost evey time... once in a while I have to do another swipe.  :chef: tim

pizzapan