Author Topic: Smoked Mozzarella  (Read 869 times)

Offline A-Neibs

Smoked Mozzarella
« on: September 02, 2013, 10:55:33 PM »
Hey Everybody! I have not posted or even been to the forum in a while. I started college about a year ago, and I've tried to stay focused and disciplined. I usually spend a lot of time when I come here. I miss the passion that is found here. One of my favorite things on a pizza is smoked mozzarella. I would be interested in smoking my own cheese, but I have no experience in the matter, nor do I really know much about it. I was glancing through Ed Levine's book "Pizza: A Slice of Heaven" tonight and he mentions in there that Pizzeria Bianco smokes their own mozzarella in the wood-fired oven using pecan wood. Does anyone know anything about this? I thought you had to use a smoker to smoke cheese. Aren't the temperatures of a brick oven too high to do so? This is something I'm very interested in learning more about. I hope these aren't dumb questions. As I said, I just don't know much about this. Thanks for any help!

Offline A-Neibs

Re: Smoked Mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 10:56:57 PM »
Also, have any of you ever smoked cheese? If so, how did you do it and did you like the results?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 11:03:01 PM »
Also, have any of you ever smoked cheese? If so, how did you do it and did you like the results?

I could never get it to stay lit.  :-D
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline A-Neibs

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:08:05 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 09:16:43 AM »
I thought someone with more experience would have responded by now. I've smoked mozz a few times. I love the way it tastes. I don't have a good set-up for cold smoking, so when I smoke it on a hot day (most days here), it really flattens out and sags through the grill. I have to flip it every now and then or it would eventually go straight though the grill - especially in the summer. In the winter on a cold day, it works a lot better. In either case, I put the cheese in the farthest part of the smoker and light the fire at the farthest part of the fire box and keep it as small as possible. I want to taste the smoke, so I leave it in there for a couple hours.

Here is a pic of some I smoked on a day that must not have been too hot: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14249.msg189112.html#msg189112
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 10:40:36 AM »

Offline pz

• I Love Pizza!
    • good food & friends
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 01:07:11 AM »
When smoking cheese, a temperature of 80-100F is ideal for the cheese to take on the proper amount of smoke - too cold and it will not smoke properly, too hot and it will taste like an ash tray (and melt through the grates).  I use a Bradley smoker to smoke cheese, and doing so when the ambient temperature is less than 60F is preferable.  Two hours in pecan smoke makes excellent cheese - mild smoke (not acrid), yet pleasingly woody.

The cheeses in the image: top rack - goat cheese and mozzarella, middle rack Swiss on the left, and two sharp farmhouse cheddars on the right, bottom rack, Swiss again on the left, and two Gouda on the right.

It is best to vacuum seal the cheeses and let age in the back of your fridge for 4-6 weeks to let the flavors properly develop and age.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:09:56 AM by pz »
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 01:36:40 AM »
One of the ways to smoke at the low temperatures required is to use a remote smoke can.  The guys on my bbq forum have used a small disposable aluminum beer keg for a burn can and some aluminum flex dryer ducting to route it to their smoker or weber kettle.  You can change the length  of the duct to change the heat loss.   There's also a commercially made device called a Smoke Daddy that does the same thing.

Offline A-Neibs

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 11:49:50 PM »
Hey everyone,
      Thanks for the replies! For some reason, I didn't get an e-mail letting me know that someone had replied, so I'm just now seeing these. That's never happened before.

Thanks for the info pz. That cheese looks beautiful. My mouth is watering right now. I've read a few things that agree with what you say about the temperature to use to smoke the cheese. That's why I was so confused when I read that Bianco smokes his cheese in his wood-fired oven. I don't really get that, but I would love to understand it!

Thanks for the link Pete-zza. I remember reading that a while back. I will have to study up on that, but thanks for the easy access!

Offline A-Neibs

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 11:54:36 PM »
TXCraig1,
    Thanks for that link! All the pies on that page look incredible!! You are doing some great work. That smoked mozzarella pizza looked delicious! Well done! If you have any more info on that, please share. Try to smoke some in your wood-fired oven like Bianco does. I'm not really telling you to, but that does interest me. If you decided to, I'd be all for learning about it  ;D

I saw the pizza you made with road-roasted onions. Can I ask you how you do that. What temperature is the oven at when you put the onions in and how long do you leave them in there? They came out great! Also, where did you get those containers that you put all your ingredients in? I should look into those. Thanks.

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 09:43:01 AM »
I use one of these to smoke cheese. I love smoked hot pepper cheese. Work great. I will be smoking a some blocks of cheese this weekend.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 01:10:57 PM »
pz... yer killin me. They look awesome. Definitely something I want to try.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

pizzapan