Author Topic: Tried Brie last night  (Read 914 times)

Offline Roman

• I Love Pizza!
Tried Brie last night
« on: October 05, 2013, 09:48:25 AM »
On a neoploitan bake, melted beautifully and gave its great depth and buttery taste. Why aren't more pies using this?

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Re: Tried Brie last night
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 11:12:56 AM »
Check out the "WHITE PIZZAS" section

http://www.pupatella.com/_/dinner_menu.html
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 11:05:28 AM »
On a neoploitan bake, melted beautifully and gave its great depth and buttery taste. Why aren't more pies using this?

I imagine the cost of Brie is a factor.  Even if I buy it at Costco in the larger roundel, it's not cheap.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 04:56:08 PM »
I use it from time to time. One of my favorites was duck confit, candied figs, brie, and mascarpone. It's so powerful, I fine I need to cut it with mascarpone so it doesn't overpower the pie. The main reason I don't use it often is that it really doesn't go very well well with most of the ingredients that I like on pizza. For me, brie has a place, but it is a very small place.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 05:26:46 PM »
I saw a pie on a pizza restaurant menu with brie and decided to make my own version this summer.

Peach, brie, mozzarella, olive oil.  After baking, we finished it with a reduced balsamic and some chiffonade basil (the pizza menu called for arugula).

We loved it! Great "dessert pie."

- Mitch

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 06:20:11 PM »
That looks great. I think a pie with brie almost has to have fruit or something sweet on it.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Roman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 06:36:40 PM »
The pie looks great! can imagine the grouping of all above would compliment each other tastefully.

The Marscipone with the Brie would give it some volume, with a slight sweetness to take the edge away from the skin. Interesting combination. The value I see Brie has is its texture and taste that can transition to another profile next to it, not on top and can seamlessly melt to one another. I like surprises, unexpected transitions that are compatible.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 07:01:25 PM »
I take the skin off. I don't want rendered brie skins on my pie.  IMO, mascarpone shouldn't give it volume. The combined volume should represent the appropriate volume of cheese. The amount of mascarpone should reflect the desired strength of the brie in the overall balance.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Roman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 05:55:59 AM »
The entire Brie experience is the right cut of skin to cheese mass. Worlds collide when it's usage is applied to a traditional pizza format. Brie requires a physical base to be eaten. Along with Brie, how many perfectly beautifully tasted cheeses become lost on a cheap cracker. This is where a perfectly baked Neopolitan crust would set the stage for the inherent  textural performance of the right skin to cheese mass. We're talking about the marriage of complex layers of mold. The science of the two provides the taste. The art of this experience is what is placed on top.

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 03:47:08 PM »
Brie, Bacon & Branston Pickle (not sure if you can get the Branston pickle in the US though, but maybe substitute with caramelised onions)

To be honest, I'm not sure if this would work as a piza, but I think it would. I used to make a toasted sandwich with these ingredients and it was awesome. The deep cheesy depth of the brie, nicely molten, plus the saltiness and general bacon-ness of the pig slices, held together with the sweet spicy fruitiness of the Branston.

I'm going to try this at the weekend!

Offline Roman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 06:00:39 AM »
I can imagine the combination perfectly, aside from my inexperience with the Branstons!

The checklist pie for this weekend will include Neo crust, caramelized onions, then Brie, topped with an arrangement of slightly sauted wild mushrooms and pearled onions.