Author Topic: KettlePizza/Baking Steel: Crust too tender?  (Read 573 times)

Offline fiveskin

• I Love Pizza!
KettlePizza/Baking Steel: Crust too tender?
« on: April 06, 2014, 09:06:59 PM »
I made the Serious Eats NY style dough using KABF.  I used the food processor and did a 48 hour cold ferment.

I set up the KettlePizza with a 1/4" baking steel on top and lined the top with aluminum foil.  I had a few hardwood chunks burning when I launched the pies.  Stone temp was about 550F, dome was about 750F.  Pies cooked in 90 seconds to 2 minutes.

The problem is this: The crusts were a little soggy (only 1/3 cup of sauce per 14" pie) and the dough was too tender.  I'm looking for a little more chew. They were plenty charred, though.  The sogginess I attribute to dumping them into a cutter pan but the airy/tenderness I can't explain.

When I bake in a 550F oven on the baking steel it's closer to what I want.

Was the problem that the oven was too hot?  I like the char but I want the chew.

Thanks!

Offline pdog

Re: KettlePizza/Baking Steel: Crust too tender?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 08:57:43 PM »
Hi,

Can you share your formula?  Do you have access to higher protein flour like spring king or full strength?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 06:40:39 AM »
My guess is that the pies were underdone. I doubt the dome was anywhere near 750F if the stone was only 550F. It would be hard to get that much of a differential without insulation. Maybe, but even at those temps, 2 minutes doesn't seem like enough time. When I was baking on my grill at 750F on Fibrament and well above that in the dome via lots of insulation, the fastest time I could get was 2:15 or so.

Are you baking on the Baking Steel or a stone? If a stone, what sort of stone?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline fiveskin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 02:12:45 PM »
My guess is that the pies were underdone. I doubt the dome was anywhere near 750F if the stone was only 550F. It would be hard to get that much of a differential without insulation. Maybe, but even at those temps, 2 minutes doesn't seem like enough time. When I was baking on my grill at 750F on Fibrament and well above that in the dome via lots of insulation, the fastest time I could get was 2:15 or so.

Are you baking on the Baking Steel or a stone? If a stone, what sort of stone?

Is it possible to have a charted crust and still be underdone?

I am using a kettlepizza. There's a 5/8" corderite stone on the bottom and a 1/4" baking steel above it. Tossed a couple of fist sized chunks of maple in the coals.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 08:43:07 PM »
Is it possible to have a charted crust and still be underdone?

Absolutely it's possible, put the baking steel on the bottom, and you can probably make the bottom black while the dough on top is still raw.

Now if the top is browned and the bottom charred, it's unlikely the crust is underdone, but if it's white on top, it's a definite possibility. 2:15 on a stone at 550 sounds way too fast.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline fiveskin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 06:27:28 AM »
Absolutely it's possible, put the baking steel on the bottom, and you can probably make the bottom black while the dough on top is still raw.

Now if the top is browned and the bottom charred, it's unlikely the crust is underdone, but if it's white on top, it's a definite possibility. 2:15 on a stone at 550 sounds way too fast.

I wish I took pictures - Both the bottom and top were charred to my liking, but the slices were limp and the texture "white bready..." Just no chew to it.  This same recipe at 550F on a baking steel in the oven makes me pretty happy, just having trouble adapting it to the kettlepizza/baking steel.

My hypothesis is: What if I ran the kp/bs WITHOUT wood?  It'd clearly run much cooler but baking times would double at minimum. Would that toughen the crust?

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 09:16:41 AM »
2:15 on a stone at 550 sounds way too fast.

+1

How are you measuring your stone temp? If you say IR gun, I don't believe you  :-D  You're much higher than 550 if you're hitting 2:15 bake times.

Josh

Offline fiveskin

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 12:46:09 PM »
+1

How are you measuring your stone temp? If you say IR gun, I don't believe you  :-D  You're much higher than 550 if you're hitting 2:15 bake times.

The more I think about it, I believe the stone was 650 and the stone 750.  Used an IR gun, granted it was from Harbor Freight....

pizzapan