Author Topic: Heat shield problem with the Blackstone pizza oven  (Read 1047 times)

Offline moosebytes

Heat shield problem with the Blackstone pizza oven
« on: October 06, 2013, 01:32:01 PM »
 Noticed last night that the enamel on the pizza side of the heat shield...right behind the flame, was peeling/flaking off on to the stone. I've attached a photo of it so I hope it loads. In any event, this was our second bake with the oven and we didn't see this issue last week when we fired it up for the first time. The temps last night never got over 750 degrees. Anyone else had this problem? I'll be contacting Blackstone about this and see what they have to say about it. LOVE the pizza with this oven, but we can do w/o enamel as a topping!

Online pdog

Re: Heat shield problem with the Blackstone pizza oven
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 01:57:56 PM »
On the inside you can beef it up with some 16 or 20 gauge steel sheets.  On the outside I would suggest a stiff wire brushing, and some High heat black paint. 

I believe that rustolem sells a grill paint rated for high heat.   

Offline barryvabeach

Re: Heat shield problem with the Blackstone pizza oven
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 09:08:02 PM »
I think Chau posted about the same problem when he first got his, and he was an early user.  I don't know if it has burnt through on anyone, but a number of us have tried to address it by adding an extra piece of metal in that area - don't use galvanized or zinc,  plain steel is fine, and so is stainless.  I added a patch, and cut off part of the support bracket, and opened up the bracket on the right side moved the heat shield to the right to try to get more of the flames going straight up.    I also ended up adding a piece of metal to the left side of the heat shield to make sure it rested on that bracket, and opened up the bracket in the rear to get the heat shield to move in that direction as well.  I have attached photos of the piece I added on the right side.  Again, I don't think it has failed on anyone yet, but it definitely gets very hot.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:10:13 PM by barryvabeach »

pizzapan