Author Topic: Crust not cooking right?  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Henderson939

• I Love Pizza!
Crust not cooking right?
« on: October 06, 2013, 02:01:17 PM »
Just started baking the TL NY pizza's.  The pizza's are coming out fine, but the crust is not making the cut.  I am using an electric oven set at 550 on top of a pizza stone set at the bottom of the oven. After cooking for around 8 minutes the toppings and bottom are cooked perfectly, but the crust is a light yellow color.  Was wondering if I got another pizza stone to put on the middle rack it would help with cooking the crust?  Not really sure what else to try.

Offline shuboyje

Re: Crust not cooking right?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 02:24:58 PM »
Move the stone higher in the oven and cook with the broiler on.

What flour are you using?  That looks very pale for 8 minutes.
-Jeff

Offline Henderson939

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 02:29:36 PM »
Move the stone higher in the oven and cook with the broiler on.

What flour are you using?  That looks very pale for 8 minutes.

Use the broiler the whole time?  I haven't used it at all yet.  Using Hodgson Mill high protein - high gluten flour.  Can't find KA anywhere in my area.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 02:33:02 PM »
Try this.  Put stone on 2nd rack and position other rack 7 inches above it.  Then put two pieces of foil on 2nd rack leaving a 1 inch gap in between foil for airflow.  This will help radiate the heat back down to the top of the pizza.  Make sure you keep an eye on your pizza, 8 mins will most likely be too long for this method.  Here is my last pie using this method.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline JHutchins

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 03:22:33 PM »
I find mine cooks best with the a stone placed on the rack at the highest position. No broiler.

How longer do you let your dough ferment? Do you use sugar in your dough? It would probably be helpful if you could post your dough formula.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 04:01:09 PM »
Formula, "check oven temp with a reliable thermometer", pre-heat time for stone (should be minimum 45 minutes depending on thickness), type of stone???

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Henderson939

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 05:57:55 PM »
Using the following dough recipe:

Flour (high-gluten, Giusto), 9.35 oz. (about 2 3/8 c.)
    Water (62% hydration), 5.8 oz. (about 3/4 c.)
    Salt, 0. 80 t., or a little bit over 3/4 t.
    Oil, 0.57 t., or about 1/2 to 5/8 t.
    Yeast (0.25% IDY), 0.22 t., or slightly less than 1/4 t.

Its from reply 31 on the TL NY style pinned thread.  I have it in the fridge for 24 hours.

Not sure of the type of stone being used, my wife got it from pampered chef.

Offline JHutchins

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 08:33:13 PM »
I think if you move your stone to the top rack position, you would see improvement in the balance of bottom and crust browning.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 09:28:17 PM »
Also, a thicker stone would work better. Those Pampered Chef stone are only 3/8-1/2 inch and lose their heat quickly. A 7/8-1" Fibrament or Cordierite would be much better and have it cut to just shy of your oven dimensions. Steel is also an option but if you have back issues may want to stay away from that. The larger stone will be much more versatile too using it for other types of baking like bread and such. And try some other formulas to see what fits you and your oven, Glutenboy's is one that many including myself have had great results from

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Henderson939

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 12:28:41 PM »
Thanks for all the replies everyone.  :D  The information is much appreciated.  I had no idea what to try next.

I will keep at it, hope to have another go tomorrow. 

Offline gfgman

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 04:24:25 PM »
For what it's worth, I use a cheapo square stone that's currently broken in 4 pieces, and that doesn't seem to be an issue.  I bake at 525 with the rack in the second to lowest position, and preheat the stone for at least 45 minutes.  I find that when the dough is not too wet, it browns pretty even, and can handle an extra minute or two on the bottom without browning, while the top gets a nice color.  I also use some sugar, which might help.  I've tried the broiler and other gimmicks, but I seem to get the best result when the dough is right, the oven has been sufficiently heated, and I can just throw the pie in and let it go. 
Side note:  I can't say that I've ever seen a pizza operator not turn their pies partway through.  I do the same. 

Offline Henderson939

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 07:56:59 AM »
Moved the stone up to the top of the oven and getting much better results.   ;D 

Really appreciate all the advice and suggestions.

Offline Ese

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 03:00:02 PM »
Heating up your stone - might need more time getting that thing HOT. I noticed a significantly better result letting that stone heat up for over an hour to be sure it's blazing hot through top to bottom.

Every time you place a pizza on it you pull off some heat and it needs to recover - once the stone is hot all the way through it will recover faster. and cook better. I also make 3+ pies at a time.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 05:57:53 PM »
Many NY style pies do not get much browning on the rim,they are very light in color.I have noticed this in many slice and pizza shops,They only get a little more color on reheat.I would not worry about it.If you must,my trick is to put a rack on the top shelf,if you have an upper broiler.My oven does,and when the pie is about done on the bottom stone,I turn the broiler on and ut the pie on the top rack,directly underneath it.30 seconds or less is scorching the crust.Great trick if you like that well done top crust finish.

-Bill

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 06:28:43 PM »
Mary Ann

pizzapan