Author Topic: What kind of Cheese do you use?  (Read 1023 times)

Online jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
What kind of Cheese do you use?
« on: July 06, 2014, 09:37:44 PM »
I've been using Trader Joes Buffalo Mozzarella recently, but I found out today my store discontinued carrying it.  I ended up going to Whole Foods and getting their fresh mozzarella "Ovoline" packed in water.  Its the cow's milk type packaged in large balls that I plan on breaking up into pieces.   Does anyone have any cheeses they would recommend and does it matter if one uses cow's milk or buffalo milk cheese for neapolitan pizza?
Thanks!
Jeff
Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

Re: What kind of Cheese do you use?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 10:33:17 PM »
AOTBE, buffalo mozz generally tastes better, melts better, looks better... and costs more $+

The best thing you can do is to try different cheeses and find the one or two that come closest to the look/taste you want.
Pizza is not bread.

Online jvp123

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 12:27:06 PM »
Yes Craig thats how I seem to feel at this point.  Not so concerned about the cost if it works better.  Now i just have to find it at one of the stores near my house now that TJs stopped carrying it.  Really surprised whole foods doesn't have it.  I did try the whole foods ovoline mozz packed in water last night and it was actually pretty good.  My favorite "non buffalo" so far.
Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 01:47:09 PM »
The buffalo mozz Costco carries is very good. Just watch the dates. It can get pretty wet in the last week or so - the same with any buffalo mozz - the fresher the better.
Pizza is not bread.

Online jvp123

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 03:13:27 PM »
oh great thanks for the costco referral
i'll try it
didn't realize they had it

Jeff

Offline bad-hat-harry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 08:31:24 PM »
My Trader Joe's stopped carrying it as well.  When I asked they said it had to do with the mafia controlling the buffalo mozz industry in Italy.  I googled it and it's real thing!

Offline Noodle

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 06:37:35 PM »
I find it interesting that people are so passionate about homemade dough, maintaining starters, etc, but very few seem to make homemade cheese. It's not that hard, and the results are well worth the trouble. My wife gave me this kit a year or so ago, and it was an eye opener:

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 05:17:45 PM »
I've been using Trader Joes Buffalo Mozzarella recently, but I found out today my store discontinued carrying it.  I ended up going to Whole Foods and getting their fresh mozzarella "Ovoline" packed in water.  Its the cow's milk type packaged in large balls that I plan on breaking up into pieces.   Does anyone have any cheeses they would recommend and does it matter if one uses cow's milk or buffalo milk cheese for neapolitan pizza?
Thanks!
Jeff
I use the same mozzarella from Whole Foods.  I cut a small amount run it through a rotary cheese grater and mix in some freshly grated provolone and reggio parmiganao.  The grated cheeses give good coverage and taste fantastic.

Offline Arctic Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »
I find it interesting that people are so passionate about homemade dough, maintaining starters, etc, but very few seem to make homemade cheese. It's not that hard, and the results are well worth the trouble. My wife gave me this kit a year or so ago, and it was an eye opener:

Hi, I mentioned this in the NY pizza discussion, entitled Genres of NY Pizza.  My philosophy is that with skill, an excellent crust can be made with even KA All Purpose flour, and depending on the kind of pizza you want, different kneading/mixing times and hydrations can lead to pretty much any kind of gluten formation and crust.   I have seen alot of people obsessed with starters, expensive bromated hi gluten flours, extra high protein, etc etc. and then use a cheap tasteless low moisture mozzerella cheese by Kirkland and grated parmesan from a plastic container. 

My experience with most market low moisture mozzerella is that most have poor, bland flavor, with the exception of one or two and they were still not great.  Some people have completely switched to mild white cheddars or provolone because of this.   I almost always make my pizzas with Buffalo Mozzerella that I pick up at the local Italian grocer, which imparts a good milk flavor, and buffalo milk has twice the fat of cow milk, which gives the pizza an additional dimension of flavor from all that butterfat.  I usually mix with a good low moisture like Grande, but PollyO works as well when I don't have any, and I also like to use grana padana or sharp parmegiano reggiano freshly grated.  The 3 different cheeses are amazing together.

I can't get buffalo milk curds, but I've seen cow milk curds available for a good price these days at my local Italian grocer.  I ordered rennet tablets and citric acid powder and will give it a try. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:55:16 PM by Arctic Pizza »