Author Topic: Why is Grande cheese so hard, if not impossible to find/purchase?!?  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Why is Grande cheese so hard, if not impossible to find/purchase?!?
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2014, 12:56:53 PM »
Alot of my grocery stores near me sell the grande provolone at the deli. 

Nate
Don`t those poor people know that they don`t have a clue and should not be doing that?  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2014, 01:07:35 PM »
Already been posted above and your link don`t work.

I know. But the name is what I was after. Lazy me, on vacation, should have omitted the linkiness. Perhaps the cheese is no longer on the cows order list. :o

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2014, 01:12:22 PM »
I know. But the name is what I was after. Lazy me, on vacation, should have omitted the linkiness. Perhaps the cheese is no longer on the cows order list. :o

Mark
Yeah, tis prolly gone...hope you enjoying the vacation Mark.  8)

Offline Zing

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2014, 04:16:24 AM »
Grande markets a consumer mozz under a different name. I used to get it locally, but they stopped carrying it. Comes in a black tub. I wrote about it on this site. Will look back to see if I can find it.

Mark
Grande only sold Piacci in a few areas of the country, including mine. They had an online directory of retailers (mostly mom-and-pop "fancy foods" shops) who allegedly carried it. I visited a number of these places. Most had none when I visited. In the places I found some, it didn't move. Stock was expired or close to it.

I called up the folks in the Piacci division to discuss this, and they put me on their email list. One day, I got an email thanking me for my patronage, and informing me they were closing down the Piacci line. Their website never revealed it was a Grande product. The address given turned out to be a Grande back office location someplace in Wisconsin. I got this impression that top management at Grande knows how to make great cheese and wholesale it, but knows nothing about retail.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2014, 09:15:38 AM »
Alot of my grocery stores near me sell the grande provolone at the deli.  Why can't they do the same with the Mozz?  The only other players are Boars Head, Sorrento and Stella.  Boars Head sells anywhere between $6.50-8.00/lb.

Nate

Have you ever asked them to?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline madcheese

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2014, 04:42:56 PM »
They sure must be....Grande sells in food service for under $2.50lb......grocery store crappy 1lb. blocks,Sorrento,Polly-O,etc. sell for $5.00lb.  Grande would own grocery store cheese sales once people tried it and discovered how lame the current offerings are.

what? $2.50 are you kidding? I was quoted $3.56 and $3.96 from to suppliers for grande east cost. And one of them refused to deliver all cheese saying that I have to order other things beside the cheese. Restaurant depot has only its brand in all 7 stores around my locations

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2014, 06:32:04 PM »
what? $2.50 are you kidding? I was quoted $3.56 and $3.96 from to suppliers for grande east cost. And one of them refused to deliver all cheese saying that I have to order other things beside the cheese. Restaurant depot has only its brand in all 7 stores around my locations
Sorry, that price was wrong.

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2014, 01:21:19 PM »
I bought east coast locally at Penn Mac. It cost a lot more than Saputo and Wisconsin. I didn't think it was worth extra money.
Now I'm getting from a friend arezzio cheese, which is really good and at $12.50 for 5 pounds I won't be switching to anything else soon.

Offline elohel

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2014, 08:58:09 AM »
If it's of any condolence, I paid $40 for a bag of their mozz/provo mix and it was totally and completely bland. It was honestly no better than a $5 bag from the local grocery store. I don't know if I just got a bad batch, but for the ridiculous price they charge, I'll never give it another chance.

Offline jgestner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2014, 10:38:38 AM »
Hi Gang

It's pretty easy to order Grande Cheese online at Vern's Cheese. The Solid blocks at http://www.vernscheese.com:10088/vernsShop/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_61&limit=100 and the shredded at http://www.vernscheese.com:10088/vernsShop/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_79

Good Luck it is good stuff!

John

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2014, 11:15:51 AM »
I have never been too impressed with Grande myself, I think it oils off  too much but for the members in the Bay Area here, Mollie Stone's sell Grande Whole Milk mozza and their Provolone in 1lb increments. Not cheap, though. I think it's about $8.00/lb.

An extremely good alternative to Grande is the mozzarella from Cascade Diary Products in Hayward, CA. They used to make the North Beach mozzarella for Trader Joe's but I believe TJ's has now their own label.

North Beach mozzarella is an excellent product. I have raved about it a few times on here and much better, imo, than Grande. Not to mention it's reasonably priced. Great flavor, heat tolerance and melting capabilities.

I know Costco carries it in blocks or shredded. For more info you may have to give them a call.

Cascade Dairy Products
21090 Cabot Blvd
Hayward, California 94545
(510) 784-8800

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11543120&whse=BD_823&Ne=5000000+4000000&eCat=BD_823|9897&N=4033899%204294896839%205000106&Mo=6&No=4&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_823&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=national

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11537951&whse=BD_823&Ne=1611%204000000&eCat=BD_823|9897&N=4031223&Mo=157&No=69&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_823&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=national
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2014, 11:45:31 AM »
Mike:

I am only 20 minutes away from the Hayward Costco business center, so the cheese is accessible to me.  But, 6 pounds is overkill for our household.  We make about two pies in a week.  Does this stuff freeze ok?

- Mitch

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2014, 12:01:14 PM »
Mike:

I am only 20 minutes away from the Hayward Costco business center, so the cheese is accessible to me.  But, 6 pounds is overkill for our household.  We make about two pies in a week.  Does this stuff freeze ok?

- Mitch

Mitch,

It should. What I use when freezing cheese, or any meat for that matter, is the Ziploc Vacuum bags.

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/VacuumFreezerSystem.aspx

What I forgot to mention about the North Beach Mozzarella is that it also comes as whole milk, not only part-skim. The whole milk is actually my personal favorite but I'm not sure Costco carries it.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2014, 12:03:17 PM »
By the way, if you're only 20 mins away from the Costco place, why not go directly to Cascade and see if they sell to you? Or call them up. Why pay the middle man ;D
Mike

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2014, 12:13:59 PM »
Yep, I agree - I actually spent some time a few minutes ago "googling" them.  They do not seem to have a website, so I am not sure if they are very retail oriented.  But, as you said, I could give them a call.  - M

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2014, 12:24:59 PM »
I'm a cheese freezer and haven't noticed any issues. I cut a 6lb loaf into smaller portioned bricks, freeze them, let defrost overnight and grate the day I use them.
Josh

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2014, 12:30:49 PM »
I'm a cheese freezer and haven't noticed any issues. I cut a 6lb loaf into smaller portioned bricks, freeze them, let defrost overnight and grate the day I use them.
Yep   ^^^       Especially if Mitch can get the bricks. I freeze shred all the time....no problemo.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2014, 01:00:30 PM »
Yep, I agree - I actually spent some time a few minutes ago "googling" them.  They do not seem to have a website, so I am not sure if they are very retail oriented.  But, as you said, I could give them a call.  - M

Here's their website:

http://www.pacificcheese.com/
Mike

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
I freeze shred all the time....no problemo.
I have no choice but to do the same with bricks/logs.  I actually think the Poly O LMWM Smoked Mozzarella gets a bit better after a time in the freezer.  I refrigerator thaw and shred the day I use it.  Cheese cut into 1.5 lb chunks, double wrapped in cling wrap, and put into thick ziplock bag(s).  I do a Mozz/white cheddar mix these days.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:00:05 PM by bigMoose »