Author Topic: Trying this one last time - Where can I find that delicious cheese used in NY?  (Read 15464 times)

Offline ricky2brown

I have had Calabro ricotta, and it is very good.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to get in ordered in thru my local Price Chopper any more.  I will try to track down the mozzarella.   Mark

Hello Mark, 

I'm a distributor for Calabro Cheese....Let me know What, when, where and how much your needing and i will make it happen.

Thank you,

Sedrick (Ricky2brown)
peachcorp1@gmail.com
Calabro Cheese Distributor

Offline communist

Thanks!  I will e-mail you now.   Mark :D

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
I have had Calabro ricotta, and it is very good.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to get in ordered in thru my local Price Chopper any more.  I will try to track down the mozzarella.   Mark

Hello Mark, 

I'm a distributor for Calabro Cheese....Let me know What, when, where and how much your needing and i will make it happen.

Thank you,

Sedrick (Ricky2brown)
peachcorp1@gmail.com
Calabro Cheese Distributor

Sedrick,

I can get Calabro cheese from my local Whole Foods, but they only come in 8oz and 16oz packages.  Do you deal with larger sized loaves?  I am located in NJ.

Thank you,
Mary Ann

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Lets keep this thread going. nycpizzaguy gave the name of yet another supplier to NYC metro area pizza parlors. If you see a truck making deliveries to a good pizza joint, post their name of the distributor here!

How bout this one, Zing? (I'll explain it when I get back to the computer.)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
The only reason I took a picture of that truck (in fall 2011) was because of the misspelling (because I just get a kick out of that kind of thing). I believe this was on Broadway in uptown Manhattan (80s-100s or so). I could tell you exactly where it was if I had never updated my iPhone. Funny that there's a word in the picture that I've never noticed before and never could have imagined would become at all meaningful.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
OK, I figured out how to find pictures by map in my phone. (It used to be much easier to do that.) It looks like the above picture was taken on Columbus Avenue, just north of 82nd Street. The map says there is a Famous Original Ray's right there (and "Zingone Brothers" across the street). From what I remember, Famous Original Ray's is one of my least favorite slice joints in NYC. For whatever that's worth.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Zing!  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!

Offline Zing

Great photo, Ryan! Inside that truck is where you will find that delicious cheese used in NY pizzerias. I've been using Google Street Views, clickable from many addresses you put into maps.google.com, to see what is on that block in Manhattan. Zingone Brothers is at 471 Columbus Avenue. Famous Original Ray's Pizza is down the block a bit (Columbus Avenue is one way southbound) at 462 Columbus Avenue. The Google Street View (dated 2011) shows a US Foodservice (now US Foods) truck parked where the Montebello truck was parked in your picture. It is hard to tell if that Montebello delivery was for Famous Ray's:
http://www.rayspizza.com/Location.html
or to another establishment around 472 Columbus Ave, directly across the street from  Zingone Brothers (no relation).

Montebello also has house brand mozzarella:
http://www.montebellofoods.com/Cheeses_Mozzarella.html
Just like Campagna.

I used to eat in another Famous Ray's all the time (there is a long story about the slice joints calling themselves Ray's) that got deliveries in a plain white panel truck. Wish I could remember the name of the distributor. The manager paid the driver in cash.

I guess Norma would also be interested in a database of who makes these cheeses, and how many different brands a given cheese is sold under.

Offline Zing

On the subject of Calabro cheese, their website lists all the different cheeses they sell. They also offer 6 pound loaves of mozzarella, presumably sold to foodservice operators, in addition to 8 oz and 16 oz retail packages. What would be crucial to know if the mozzarella they put up in 8oz and 16oz retail packages is the same as what they put up in those 6 pound loaves.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza

I guess Norma would also be interested in a database of who makes these cheeses, and how many different brands a given cheese is sold under.

Zing,

I would be interested in a database of who makes the cheeses and how many different brands a given cheese is sold under. 

I found it interesting when talking to a man that was a rep for many pizza products from Phila. And the NJ region different times.  He could tell me almost anything I wanted to know about different pizza ingredients when I was looking for a certain type of pepperoni or a certain type of cheese. 

I don't know, but would think if someone said they might be planning on opening a pizzeria in NYC if they could contact a rep from that area they might be able to find a lot about different mozzarella cheeses they offer.

I don't think I have the reps (from Phila.) phone number anymore or I would ask him for a reps number in NYC to call to see if that would work or not.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline Pastaking

• take it easy
I used to work at a Pizzeria years ago,(90's) I was young and didnt care about make pizza at the time, but this is possibly when Grande cheese was of better quality? Anyway, we used to mix the whole milk and the part skim 50/50 mix. not sure why they did it, maybe to reduce the grease production? just figured I would throw that in here...anyone been trying it this way? results?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
I used to work at a Pizzeria years ago,(90's) I was young and didnt care about make pizza at the time, but this is possibly when Grande cheese was of better quality? Anyway, we used to mix the whole milk and the part skim 50/50 mix. not sure why they did it, maybe to reduce the grease production? just figured I would throw that in here...anyone been trying it this way? results?
Joe,
I don't have experience with that cheese on NY style pizza(where it is maybe predominately used) but I do know that on my Chicago thin crust pizzas the 50/50 works very well. As you noted, less grease, yet the part skim(I believe) gives that good(crispy) browning color on top of the pie while the whole milk adds it's inherent creamy,stretch chew to the mouth feel. It really is good on this type of deal.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline chasenpse

• Battle Hill Media
I love the taste and aroma Calabro gives but has anyone who's baked with this cheese found that it's got a fair amount of water content? I'm wondering if the whole milk has more moisture than the part skim, I won't be baking anytime soon but if anyone has any insight on this it would be appreciated.
If Tetris has taught me anything, it’s that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline Zing

Another Italian foods distributor serving pizzerias in the NY Metro area is Ace Endico. They have two retail stores as well:
http://www.aceendico.com/location-and-hours.htm

This firm is closely connected to Sally Sherman Foods, which makes potato and related salads in a plant alongside the Amtrak/Metro North railroad tracks in Mt. Vernon, NY.

Offline Zing

Another distributor whose name I remember seeing in a lot of NYC slice joints: Ferraro Foods:
http://www.ferrarofoods.com

I don't know if they do cash-and-carry, but they have an online catalog of their products. They stock the "good stuff".

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Another distributor whose name I remember seeing in a lot of NYC slice joints: Ferraro Foods:
http://www.ferrarofoods.com

I don't know if they do cash-and-carry, but they have an online catalog of their products. They stock the "good stuff".

Thanks Zing!  If I ever am able to get to NJ I will see if I can pick up any of the mozzarellas Ferraro Food handles.  Do you know specifically if there is a better brand among all the brands they carry?

Norma

Offline Zing

Sorry, I don't have the experience to be able to tell one what the better brands are. However, I would like to try the Krohn and Galbani loaf cheese. Krohn has been discussed on this forum in other threads. Galbani foodservice was marketed as a premium cheese by Lactalis, before they put the Galbani name on all the Sorrento products in the supermarket. This video sparked my interest back in 2012:

For all I know it is rebadged Sorrento Buffalo (NY), but if you watch the other old "Galbani Tales" videos on the Lactalis Culinary channel you get the impression this is a premium line of cheeses.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Sorry, I don't have the experience to be able to tell one what the better brands are. However, I would like to try the Krohn and Galbani loaf cheese. Krohn has been discussed on this forum in other threads. Galbani foodservice was marketed as a premium cheese by Lactalis, before they put the Galbani name on all the Sorrento products in the supermarket. This video sparked my interest back in 2012:

For all I know it is rebadged Sorrento Buffalo (NY), but if you watch the other old "Galbani Tales" videos on the Lactalis Culinary channel you get the impression this is a premium line of cheeses.

Zing,

Thanks so much for the video.  It does look like the Galbani loaf mozzarella melts very well.  I will look to see if I can find the old “Galbani Tales” videos on the Lactalis Culinary channel. 

Norma

pizzapan