Author Topic: Trying this one last time - Where can I find that delicious cheese used in NY?  (Read 21036 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza

Norma, I have tried *sharp* white cheddar before in a blend, but I think I致e always put too much or too little, so that the pizza either tastes really unnaturally rich and sharp - or else no difference whatsoever. If I知 not able to perfect my pizza cheese by finding the perfect flavorful mozz, or by finding the perfect provolone to boost my mozz, then I値l perhaps experiment with some mild cheddar. But I have to be honest, the Italian in me is "uncomfortable" at the idea of using cheddar on pizza.   :-\

Tourmaline,

If you aren't comfortable adding cheddar to a mozzarella that is fine.  I experimented with many cheddars (and probably never could name them all) to find which one I liked and which one my customers liked best. 

I really also liked the Bell Fran whole milk mozzarella but that was a foodservice mozzarella.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline tourmaline

• Hold the pepperoni - I'm vegetarian!
Tourmaline,

If you aren't comfortable adding cheddar to a mozzarella that is fine.  I experimented with many cheddars (and probably never could name them all) to find which one I liked and which one my customers liked best. 

I really also liked the Bell Fran whole milk mozzarella but that was a foodservice mozzarella.

Norma

Thanks very much, Norma. Out of curiosity, what is the reason that you decided to make your pizza solely with cheddar? It seems like you would be sacrificing the melted stringiness of mozzarella, which I know a lot of people love.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Thanks very much, Norma. Out of curiosity, what is the reason that you decided to make your pizza solely with cheddar? It seems like you would be sacrificing the melted stringiness of mozzarella, which I know a lot of people love.

tourmaline,

To answer your question about the reasons I changed to a foodservice mild cheddar was I had recalled the different smell (wonderful cheese smell) coming from Mack's Pizza in Wildwood, NJ for many years (since I was a child).  If you were to look at the NJ Boardwalk Pizza thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.0.html you can see how many years it took me to find the cheddar I am using now.  There is also another thread about the cheese at  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13499.0.html  I also was looking for the a kind of cheese that would go well on my Detroit style pizzas for market.  That thread is at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.0.html and the main Detroit style thread is at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3783.0.html I even investigated a pizza business near me that also had that great smell as soon as I walked into the door.  That thread is at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20093.0.html

I know you probably won't read all those threads because they are too long but I did not take the cheese subject lightly when searching for that special cheese with the smell I recalled from so long ago.   :-D

The Wisconsin mild white cheddar I did finally find does string well as you might be able to see on some of the photos.

I did try foodservice mozzarellas like Foremost Farms, Grande, Bella Fran, State Farm, and sometimes in combinations.  I also tried many other mozzarellas in 5-6 lb. blocks and in bags.  Although some of the blends were good and some of the standalone mozzarellas were really good in my opinion they did not have that magic smell for me.  I wanted to be able to have that magic smell along with a cheese that tasted different than most pizza places.     

I know mild white cheddar is not for everyone on a pizza though. 

If anyone is interested this is the first time I posted a photo of what the mild white cheddar cheese box says.  I wish any forum member that wanted to try the mild white cheddar could to see if they would like it on pizzas but I know that is not possible.   

Norma 

Offline tourmaline

Norma, Thanks for the info. It sounds like your switch to that mild cheddar was a very informed decision. My provolone/mozz blend is working very well in replicating the pizzeria I知 going for, so I値l just keep experimenting with that for now. I feel like I知 祖racking the code and am almost there with my cheese blend. Someday I値l likely try a mild cheddar blend though. It seems like so many of us on this forum are trying to capture the qualities of that one special pizza joint we grew up with that made the perfect distinctive pizza. Inevitably, it痴 different for every person.
I loved seeing all the pics + video you took at Papa Dinos!  You are very tenacious when it comes to acquiring info about pizza, which is great.  Next time I go to my 壮pecial pizzeria that I知 trying to replicate I知 going to be asking lots of technical questions and try to get some pictures of their kitchen and chefs in action. They can sometimes be very secretive though, depending on who痴 there.

So you have a pizza cart? That痴 really amazing, that idea is very appealing to me too, actually - although I知 still fairly new to making pizzas. Can I ask how much the cart cost? Do you have any pictures of your cart that you can share? I壇 love to see it.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma, Thanks for the info. It sounds like your switch to that mild cheddar was a very informed decision. My provolone/mozz blend is working very well in replicating the pizzeria I知 going for, so I値l just keep experimenting with that for now. I feel like I知 祖racking the code and am almost there with my cheese blend. Someday I値l likely try a mild cheddar blend though. It seems like so many of us on this forum are trying to capture the qualities of that one special pizza joint we grew up with that made the perfect distinctive pizza. Inevitably, it痴 different for every person.
I loved seeing all the pics + video you took at Papa Dinos!  You are very tenacious when it comes to acquiring info about pizza, which is great.  Next time I go to my 壮pecial pizzeria that I知 trying to replicate I知 going to be asking lots of technical questions and try to get some pictures of their kitchen and chefs in action. They can sometimes be very secretive though, depending on who痴 there.

So you have a pizza cart? That痴 really amazing, that idea is very appealing to me too, actually - although I知 still fairly new to making pizzas. Can I ask how much the cart cost? Do you have any pictures of your cart that you can share? I壇 love to see it.

tourmaline,

I did search for that cheddar for a long while but really don't think what I found now it is the exact brand Mack's uses. 

I am glad your provolone/mozz blend it working out very well in replicating the the pizzeria you are going for.  Also glad to hear your are almost there with your cheese blend. 

I also believe most members that are trying to clone or make a pizza as close as they can to any NY style pizza do have memories which stick to them forever about their favorite pizzas. 

I also took photos and a video that I posted here on the forum about another kind of tomato pie I was trying to replicate which was a De Lorenzo's tomato pie.  I took videos of the pie makers at Mack's Pizza too. 

If you go to your special pizzeria think of things ahead of time you might ask them.  You might just ask to take photos and go from there.  Just tell your favorite pizzeria that you have a brother or someone in another state that also really likes their pizza and you want to show photos to them.  That has worked well for me sometimes.  Of course you can also go dumpster diving, but in some states that is illegal.  Just be careful if you decide to do that.  I have done that dumpster diving before and it sure made me nervous.  Try to keep your eyes looking around to see if you can see any ingredients sitting out in plain view.

I have a very small pizza stand at a farmer's market near where I live.  I have posted about that here on the forum many times.  If you are interested this is the link to my pizza stand at Root's Market.  http://www.rootsmarket.com/standholders.asp  If you scroll down in the standholders you can see my pizza stand.  If you click on that photo it should enlarge.   

When I was doing some searching about De Lorenzo's tomato pie I came across this article about cheese and the pizzerias and what happened.  Pizza cheese can get messy sometimes.  https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/Digitization/70579NCJRS.pdf   The one place mentioned in that report is right near me.  I was told by a local pizzeria to go and try their cheeses.  I have not made it there yet but might sometime.

Norma

Offline tourmaline

If you go to your special pizzeria think of things ahead of time you might ask them.  You might just ask to take photos and go from there.  Just tell your favorite pizzeria that you have a brother or someone in another state that also really likes their pizza and you want to show photos to them.  That has worked well for me sometimes.  Of course you can also go dumpster diving, but in some states that is illegal.  Just be careful if you decide to do that.  I have done that dumpster diving before and it sure made me nervous.  Try to keep your eyes looking around to see if you can see any ingredients sitting out in plain view.

I have a very small pizza stand at a farmer's market near where I live.  I have posted about that here on the forum many times.  If you are interested this is the link to my pizza stand at Root's Market.  http://www.rootsmarket.com/standholders.asp  If you scroll down in the standholders you can see my pizza stand.  If you click on that photo it should enlarge.   

When I was doing some searching about De Lorenzo's tomato pie I came across this article about cheese and the pizzerias and what happened.  Pizza cheese can get messy sometimes.  https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/Digitization/70579NCJRS.pdf   The one place mentioned in that report is right near me.  I was told by a local pizzeria to go and try their cheeses.  I have not made it there yet but might sometime.

Norma

Oh my, that is too funny that you went dumpster diving!  :-D  I知 contemplating  doing that too next time I go there. I値l probably quickly grab a few of the full trash bags out of the dumpster and toss them in the back of my vehicle. Then drive home and pore through the contents. LOL.
I appreciate your input on gathering information. I probably won稚 be going out that way for a few weeks but next time I go there I知 determined to come back with pics, info, and possibly bags of trash. I値l probably post pics of my 殿dventure here on the forum.  :D

Your pizza business is VERY impressive!  Who needs a big old kitchen when you致e got everything you need right in that cozy little space!

And thanks for that interesting link. My goodness, owning a pizza place sure can be treacherous when you live back eastor at least it was back in 1980. Hopefully things have gotten better since then. My grandfather came from Sicily, but luckily there is nothing remotely mafia related in my family. Just a great love of Italian food.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Oh my, that is too funny that you went dumpster diving!  :-D  I知 contemplating  doing that too next time I go there. I値l probably quickly grab a few of the full trash bags out of the dumpster and toss them in the back of my vehicle. Then drive home and pore through the contents. LOL.
I appreciate your input on gathering information. I probably won稚 be going out that way for a few weeks but next time I go there I知 determined to come back with pics, info, and possibly bags of trash. I値l probably post pics of my 殿dventure here on the forum.  :D

tourmaline,

Even if you decide to go dumpster diving to find out what cheese, or cheese blend your favorite pizzeria uses sometimes that can be fairly complicated unless you exactly find empty cheese bags.  Some cheeses (even some mozzarellas can come in big blocks like my cheddar does).  If a cheese comes in a plain brown cardboard box with just a simple label on the outside it is hard to decide what what cheese plant it might come from.  There is usually a plant code on the box but then it is hard to find the plant.  I have access to a plant code for Wisconsin cheese makers but still have a hard time using it. 

Not all pizza businesses purchase their cheese, or cheese blend from regular distributors that supply the rest of their ingredients.   There are also boxes of cheeses that just have a USDA plant number on them.

You might find this kind of gross but when I went dumpster diving a couple of times don't forgot there might be full trash bags full of just trash like what customers had leftover from their drinks or other foods they ate at a pizzeria.  The trash bags can be black or other colors.  When I ripped some trash bags open that is all I saw was trash.  That stopped me in my tracks because that was kind of gross.  :-X

As far a posting dumpster diving photos that is up to you, but I usually don't post them.  Good luck to you in finding what you want.

Norma

Offline tourmaline

tourmaline,

Even if you decide to go dumpster diving to find out what cheese, or cheese blend your favorite pizzeria uses sometimes that can be fairly complicated unless you exactly find empty cheese bags.  Some cheeses (even some mozzarellas can come in big blocks like my cheddar does).  If a cheese comes in a plain brown cardboard box with just a simple label on the outside it is hard to decide what what cheese plant it might come from.  There is usually a plant code on the box but then it is hard to find the plant.  I have access to a plant code for Wisconsin cheese makers but still have a hard time using it. 

Not all pizza businesses purchase their cheese, or cheese blend from regular distributors that supply the rest of their ingredients.   There are also boxes of cheeses that just have a USDA plant number on them.

You might find this kind of gross but when I went dumpster diving a couple of times don't forgot there might be full trash bags full of just trash like what customers had leftover from their drinks or other foods they ate at a pizzeria.  The trash bags can be black or other colors.  When I ripped some trash bags open that is all I saw was trash.  That stopped me in my tracks because that was kind of gross.  :-X

As far a posting dumpster diving photos that is up to you, but I usually don't post them.  Good luck to you in finding what you want.

Norma

Thank you for the helpful info. I'm not sure I'm going to do it, it really depends on how informative they are with the questions I ask, and if I feel comfortable dumpster diving at that location and at that time. It would need to be at night and I'll need to have a little flashlight in my mouth so I can see what I'm doing. LOL

Did you do it at night, after the place had closed or when they were still open? Did you crawl inside the dumpster or did you just grab what you could from the pile? I'm very curious about how you went about it.   :D

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Thank you for the helpful info. I'm not sure I'm going to do it, it really depends on how informative they are with the questions I ask, and if I feel comfortable dumpster diving at that location and at that time. It would need to be at night and I'll need to have a little flashlight in my mouth so I can see what I'm doing. LOL

Did you do it at night, after the place had closed or when they were still open? Did you crawl inside the dumpster or did you just grab what you could from the pile? I'm very curious about how you went about it.   :D

tourmaline,

I understand if you decide not to go dumpster diving because for me it was not comfortable at all.  :-[ I hope you find your answers from asking.  Another way to try their cheese, or cheese blend is to maybe ask if you can purchase some.  Most cheeses or blends will not taste the same plain as when baked on a pizza with sauce or other dressings.  One time at a local pizzeria near me I wanted to purchase some of their Grande cheese to try on an experimental pizza I was making and I did not have access or any Grande cheese at that time.  That time I just told the man that owned the pizzeria that I really liked the cheese they used on their pizzas and wanted to purchase some to use on some lasagna I was making.  That did work.  If you can get some of their cheese, or cheese blend so then you will know how it tastes with the sauce you use on a baked pizza.

To answer your question about how I went about dumpster diving there were different ways I went about it sometimes in plain daylight and one time in the middle of the night.  I usually have some kind of trash bag or something to throw into the dumpster if someone comes out of the pizzeria.  I would just say then I wanted to throw out some trash.  The first time there were about 10 regular higher trash cans and I just flipped up the lids and looked inside.  There I saw all black trash bags that were tied so I did not learn anything.  The second time I went in the middle of the night to two different locations that made the same pizza.  Both places had apartments or places where people live under or on top of the pizzerias and both places had lights on.  I was nervous as heck and my knees were knocking.  At the one place I did find a flour bag so I then knew what kind of flour they were using.  The other location I did see the cans of tomato sauce but then another member had already reported that.  I did not know at that location to look for just cardboard boxes that the cheddar might have come in.  I only found that out later.  As I ripped some trash bags apart as I said before there is a lot of them that just had leftover food or what might have been drinking cups and paper plates, or stuff like that.  At the one place when I was leaning over the trash can that was somewhat high I dropped my camera in that trash bag.  I was a nervous wreck that I would not get my camera but luckily I did get it.  I had planned to just take photos of what I might be able to see.  I did have some close calls in getting caught but luckily that did not happen. 

At another pizzeria I did ask questions but did not find out much.  I went to throw some trash into that dumpster when I left.  That dumpster was a big metal one and I would not have climbed in it.  I did not find out too much from that dumpster.

At still two more pizzerias I went in broad daylight even before I went into the pizzerias.  I found out some things in those dumpsters but still not everything.

One time in New York my friend did look in the dumpster in broad daylight to find out what flour they were using when I was along.  Another time in Philly my friend also looked to see what kind of flour they were using.  Those two times produced good results in what flour they were using. 

At another pizzeria in Philly I did ask what cheese the pie maker was using.  He did tell me and show me what cheese he was using.   

There is a couple of other things I want to mention that you might want to know.  It might depend on when someone picks up the dumpster trash as how much you will find out too.  Another way of finding out what they might use is to station yourself where you might see delivery drivers bringing ingredients into the pizzeria.  That method could take a long while though and I never went that route.  Other members here on the forum have gone dumpster diving.

To also let you know even if you know everything a pizzeria is using sometimes their ovens bake differently than what you use or you might never be able to figure out what dough formulation they are using. 

I will be interested in what you find out.   

The person I would like to hear explain about how he went about dumpster diving, or how he looked through Evelyne's garbage is Tom Lehmann the dough doctor.  At Reply 606 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg41054.html#msg41054  you can read what he did.

Norma

Offline tourmaline

You are so funny, Norma. I was laughing the whole time I was reading your post! You really have a lot of experience in dumpster diving, I admire your dedication a lot. lol
I especially love the part about having a "dummy bag" with you to use as an excuse if you get caught skulking around the trash bin. haha, brilliant idea.  ;D

I will update this thread and let you know how it goes. I should be heading back to that pizzeria for dinner in the next three weeks or so, and I'll be on a quest for information - by whatever means necessary.  :chef: :pizza:
Thanks again!!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
You are so funny, Norma. I was laughing the whole time I was reading your post! You really have a lot of experience in dumpster diving, I admire your dedication a lot. lol
I especially love the part about having a "dummy bag" with you to use as an excuse if you get caught skulking around the trash bin. haha, brilliant idea.  ;D

I will update this thread and let you know how it goes. I should be heading back to that pizzeria for dinner in the next three weeks or so, and I'll be on a quest for information - by whatever means necessary.  :chef: :pizza:
Thanks again!!

tourmaline,

I am glad my post made you laugh.   

Will be watching to see what you can find out. 

Reverse engineering a pizzerias pizza is harder than you might if there are no nutrition facts or ingredients lists.

Norma

Offline Zing

I've got a few comments to add to this subject, based upon my many years of walking past NY slice joints at the same time the drivers of wholesale food distributors unloaded a order and transported it via hand trucks over the sidewalk and into the front door of these pizzerias.

Most of the discussion on this cheese board involves branded cheese. Grande, Saputo and all the brands they snapped up, Lactalis and all the brands they snapped up, house brands of GFS, SYSCO, Performance Foods Group/Roma, US Foods, Belissimo Foods, Restaurant Depot, etc.

Yet, there is a lot of cheese bought by pizza operators in CT/NY/NJ/PA that is either unbranded or has the house brand (sometimes trademarked, sometimes not) of a small Italian Foods distributor with only one or a small number of warehouses.

I'm struggling to find a way to categorize all of the different cheeses that wind up being delivered to locations in CT/NY/NJ/PA. It could be that "that delicious cheese" is an unbranded commodity cheese or a joker brand sold by a mom-and-pop distributor.

I have not found one distributor in the area yet who makes his own cheese (not to say there aren't any, however). But I have found some surprising discoveries.

Land O' Lakes has a foodservice line of business:
http://www.landolakesfoodservice.com/

They have an ingredients line of business:
http://www.landolakes-ingredients.com/

Finally, they have an industrial line of business, products of which wound up in a mom-and-pop pizzeria:
http://www.landolakesindustrialcheese.com/

Of course, some of these products go into processed products like Land O' Lakes retail cheese products sold in supermarkets. But, this does show that big cheese companies make products you never hear about. How many of these "goodies" only get sold in the industrial marketplace in 640 pound blocks? And how can a pizza operator and the cloners on this site get hold of these "goodies"?

The USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Service provides more data that you can digest:
http://www.nass.usda.gov/
For 2008, the last year I can find stats for, they list the following number of cheese plants in the big cheese producing states:
Wisconsin, 126
New York, 58
California, 57
Pennsylvania, 37
Vermont, 20.

Only some of these plants produce cheese used by pizza operators. If you go over these lists, you find names like Saputo. You will also find names of cheese factories that you never heard of (like K&K Cheese, LLC) because they sell to other companies, like Masters Gallery Foods, Incorporated:
http://www.mastersgalleryfoods.com
Firms like Masters Gallery do not make cheese from fluid milk, but process cheese made from other cheese makers. You probably have never heard of these firms before.

Like the old saying goes, this information and $2.50 will get you a ride on the New York Subway.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:07:28 PM by Zing »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
I've got a few comments to add to this subject, based upon my many years of walking past NY slice joints at the same time the drivers of wholesale food distributors unloaded a order and transported it via hand trucks over the sidewalk and into the front door of these pizzerias.

Most of the discussion on this cheese board involves branded cheese. Grande, Saputo and all the brands they snapped up, Lactalis and all the brands they snapped up, house brands of GFS, SYSCO, Performance Foods Group/Roma, US Foods, Belissimo Foods, Restaurant Depot, etc.

Yet, there is a lot of cheese bought by pizza operators in CT/NY/NJ/PA that is either unbranded or has the house brand (sometimes trademarked, sometimes not) of a small Italian Foods distributor with only one or a small number of warehouses.

I'm struggling to find a way to categorize all of the different cheeses that would up being delivered to locations in CT/NY/NJ/PA. It could be that "that delicious cheese" is an unbranded commodity cheese or a joker brand sold by a mom-and-pop distributor.

I have not found one distributor in the area yet who makes his own cheese (not to say there aren't any, however). But I have found some surprising discoveries.

Land O' Lakes has a foodservice line of business:
http://www.landolakesfoodservice.com/

They have an ingredients line of business:
http://www.landolakes-ingredients.com/

Finally, they have an industrial line of business, products of which wound up in a mom-and-pop pizzeria:
http://www.landolakesindustrialcheese.com/

Of course, some of these products go into processed products like Land O' Lakes retail cheese products sold in supermarkets. But, this does show that big cheese companies make products you never hear about. How many of these "goodies" only get sold in the industrial marketplace in 640 pound blocks? And how can a pizza operator and the cloners on this site get hold of these "goodies"?

The USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Service provides more data that you can digest:
http://www.nass.usda.gov/
For 2008, the last year I can find stats for, they list the following number of cheese plants in the big cheese producing states:
Wisconsin, 126
New York, 58
California, 57
Pennsylvania, 37
Vermont, 20.

Only some of these plants produce cheese used by pizza operators. If you go over these lists, you find names like Saputo. You will also find names of cheese factories that you never heard of (like K&K Cheese, LLC) because they sell to other companies, like Masters Gallery Foods, Incorporated:
http://www.mastersgalleryfoods.com
Firms like Masters Gallery do not make cheese from fluid milk, but process cheese made from other cheese makers. You probably have never heard of these firms before.

Like the old saying goes, this information and $2.50 will get you a ride on the New York Subway.

Zing,

I think your post is very good.  I don't think I understand all there is to know about the many brands or no name brands of cheeses that pizza businesses have access to. 

Do you have other links to explain more? 

Norma

Offline Zing

I've have a file begun three years ago with links to lots of pizza ingredient sources. I will post more relevant links as time permits.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
Finally found some Calabro Cheese
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2013, 07:06:06 AM »
A while back I went to LA, unfortunately all six of the stores that carried Calabro Cheese where out. As luck would have it I went back last week and one of the stores had some. Can someone tell me if this is the right one. It is not marked aged but it also does not say fresh. 

I made my dough on Monday so I plan to make some pies this afternoon. I also ordered some Vermont smoked pepperoni so hoping this is going to be a great pizza day (assuming I can get the UUNI to play nice)

PS. I also found some interesting flour that I used - ConAgra ISIS Unbleached First Clear Flour - Approximate analysis (14% moisture): Protein 13.9%, Ash 0.85% - should be fun.....

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Norcosia,

Fior di Latte refers to fresh mozzarella. The cheese in your picture appears to be very white, which means it's fresh versus the aged mozzarella which has a bit of a yellowish tint to it.  The Whole Foods near me sells Calabro and the label is either marked whole milk mozzarella or part skim mozzarella.  Either way, I'm sure this cheese will be good on your pizza.  Let us know how it goes.

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
Thanks Mary Ann,

Boy, it sure is hard to find the aged Calabro here in San Diego - I hope the fresh one tastes OK because I purchased 3 lbs (since I usually don't get up to LA).

Does anyone know if it is possible to mail order the aged Calabro - I did a quick google search but did not find anything?

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Norcosia,

I believe that Calabro is located in Connecticut.  I'm not sure if you can mail order from them.  www.calabrocheese.com.

Or you might try this http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/store-locations?store=6568.  Maybe they'll have it  ;). My local store carries both WM and PS mozzarella as well as ricotta cheese in 8 oz. and 16 oz. sizes.

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
Thanks again, I sent Calabro an email to see if they mail order (or if they know anyone that does). I shop alot at my local whole foods, unfortunately they don't carry Calabro out here in San Diego (that was the first place I tried).

I went back and looked at my old post -- Scott123 even warned me to be carful about finding the aged - my fault for not printing the picture he posted.

My quest for the perfect pie continues!!!!

Offline Zing

Like a lot of companies today, companies post product information on Facebook rather than update their websites. Calabro has a product guide on their Facebook photos section:
https://www.facebook.com/CalabroCheese/photos_albums

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
2 pies, one with Calabro "Fior di Latte"
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2013, 07:53:52 AM »
I decided to move my steel plate from the UUNI and into my home oven.  I placed it about 3 inches from the broiler top element and preheated the oven to 550 for about 30 min. Just before sliding the pies in I turned on the broiler.

Both pies cooked in under 2 min but I had to take the second one out and finish the top on a pan since the bottom was getting too done. I think next time I may try something different, just not sure what.

The pies tasted good and I got great oven spring, first pie is cheese-less since my better half does not eat dairy, second one has the Calabro Fior di Latte cheese and Vermont smoked pepperoni.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Looks great!  How was the Calabro and Vermont pepperoni?
Mary Ann

Offline JD

Re: 2 pies, one with Calabro "Fior di Latte"
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2013, 08:54:42 AM »
I decided to move my steel plate from the UUNI and into my home oven.  I placed it about 3 inches from the broiler top element and preheated the oven to 550 for about 30 min. Just before sliding the pies in I turned on the broiler.

Both pies cooked in under 2 min but I had to take the second one out and finish the top on a pan since the bottom was getting too done. I think next time I may try something different, just not sure what.

You got 2 minutes using a 1/4" steel plate? That's a bit surprising.

I use 1/2" and get about 2-2.5 minutes at 550, which is too fast for me. I drop my temp to 475-500 and will cook for 5-6 minutes (broiler for 4 minutes). Since you are using 1/4", I'd try 500-525 and 4 minutes broiler the entire bake. Your pizza looks good either way!

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
Hi Mary Ann, the cheese was good but not worth the money it cost me - I don't think it was noticeably better than Polly-O and that is soooo... much easer to get in San Diego, I would still like to try the "non-fresh" Calabro cheese but not sure I'm going to have much luck finding any. Pep was good, I liked it a little better than the Margarita I have been using.

Hi JD, yes ~2 min - could have been 10 sec either way, it was a bit hectic since this was my first bake with steel in the oven. I just measured where the plate ended up,looks like it was 2.5 inches from the top heating element.

I wish I had measured the steel temp before I cooked. I suspect my oven might have super heated the steel, I think the top element comes on while it is preheating and it was very close. I just scraped the steel and moved it down one notch so it will be at ~4.5 inches from the broiler and I'm going to lower the oven to 500 - agree, 2 min is just too fast - I'm going to try for about 3 min on the next go-round

Offline chasenpse

• Battle Hill Media
I've done it - I've finally captured my white whale. By chance I happened to stop by a Whole Foods that just opened up less than a month ago literally right down the road and ran into an old friend from a previous job working at the specialty counter, when I asked about Calabro she lead me right to it, no biggie. I was so happy I hugged her, and then proceeded to explain my venture trying to find this one particular cheese. Anyways, here it is - a 1lb block of Calabro whole milk mozzarella at $6.39 each. I hope to make a pie using it tomorrow.
If Tetris has taught me anything, it痴 that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.