Author Topic: Trying this one last time - Where can I find that delicious cheese used in NY?  (Read 13415 times)

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
Apologies for the radio silence, I haven't had much time to bake since my last pie. I'd definitely recommend the Calabro if you can find it, definitely not a let down. The aroma when baked is noticeably different from other mozzarellas I've used (sargento, sorrento, polly-o, belgioioso just to name a few) and turns a nice orangish color when baked. The pie above was 100% mozzarella with just a sprinkle of garlic powder post bake, I went easy on the garlic in my sauce - you can always add more but you can't take it out! Has anyone else tried this brand that can chime in?
If Tetris has taught me anything, it’s that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
Here's a pie from september that is paler in color, I believe this was sargento whole milk. I'm no expert but from my memory I recall the cheese browning quicker than the calabro. This was a 5:30m bake compared to the 6:30-7 I do now.
If Tetris has taught me anything, it’s that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline tourmaline

• Hold the pepperoni - I'm vegetarian!
Norma, I just wanted to update you on my fact-finding mission!

I ended up going to my pizzeria yesterday. Unfortunately the dumpster opening was really high off the ground. There were several bags down at the bottom but I couldn’t reach in to get them. And the dumpster backs right up to the business so I was very nervous about getting caught. Next time I’ll go at night time - hopefully the trash pile will be higher and easier to grab from!

I went inside and ordered a big pizza to go. After ordering at the counter, I asked the cashier if I could go into the kitchen to talk with the cook for a minute. I was so  nervous. She said yes. Then she said ‘Would you like me to call him out so you can talk to him?’ and I said “No, I’ll just go in so he doesn’t have to stop working.”
I went in and called over to him, and when he came over I said hello and politely asked what kind of cheese they use on their pizza? He was a Mexican man and didn’t speak good English. He couldn’t understand what I was asking! He went and got my receipt and was looking at my order, trying to figure out what I wanted to know! Then the cashier lady came into the kitchen, and I explained to her that I just would like to know what cheese blend they use on their pizzas? “It’s mozzarella,” she told me. I said, “Well last time I was here the lady told me it was a mozz & romano blend, but I tried two types of romano with mozzarella and it didn’t taste like the cheese here...” I explained that I make my own pizza at home and would love to replicate the amazing flavor of their pizza. She said, “Hold on and I’ll show you.” So she went back into the kitchen and came back with a small plastic cup with some grated cheese in it. “This is what we use,” she said. “Just mozzarella.”
“Do you mind if I see the package?” I asked.
But she said her boss really wouldn’t like for her to give too many proprietary details.
“Do you use  Sysco or FSA Foods for your ingredients?” I persisted.
“Um, I don’t know…” she said, practically backing away from me.
I was making such a nuisance of myself, I think she thought I was crazy, and so did the Mexican cook. OMG... I took my leave and went out to sheepishly wait for my pizza. lol

So I do believe her that they only use mozzarella. I still have the sample of the grated cheese she gave me, it appears to be one kind of cheese in there, and mozzarella at that.
I got the pizza, and it has SUCH a characteristic, distinctive flavor. I also got a side of their pizza sauce. Both the sauce and cheese just taste completely normal and quite unremarkable in every way! But the pizza itself has a VERY distinctive aroma and flavor! They seem to have some secret ingredient or something, where their pizza becomes more than the sum of its parts. Maybe it's the high-temp cooking process that does it.  It really is exquisite.
So my search continues…Hope it doesn’t drive me absolutely bonkers. LOL

Here are some pics I took of their pizza I got today. If any "pizza whisperers" can glean any info from the pics, please chime in!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Norma, I just wanted to update you on my fact-finding mission!

I ended up going to my pizzeria yesterday. Unfortunately the dumpster opening was really high off the ground. There were several bags down at the bottom but I couldn’t reach in to get them. And the dumpster backs right up to the business so I was very nervous about getting caught. Next time I’ll go at night time - hopefully the trash pile will be higher and easier to grab from!

I went inside and ordered a big pizza to go. After ordering at the counter, I asked the cashier if I could go into the kitchen to talk with the cook for a minute. I was so  nervous. She said yes. Then she said ‘Would you like me to call him out so you can talk to him?’ and I said “No, I’ll just go in so he doesn’t have to stop working.”
I went in and called over to him, and when he came over I said hello and politely asked what kind of cheese they use on their pizza? He was a Mexican man and didn’t speak good English. He couldn’t understand what I was asking! He went and got my receipt and was looking at my order, trying to figure out what I wanted to know! Then the cashier lady came into the kitchen, and I explained to her that I just would like to know what cheese blend they use on their pizzas? “It’s mozzarella,” she told me. I said, “Well last time I was here the lady told me it was a mozz & romano blend, but I tried two types of romano with mozzarella and it didn’t taste like the cheese here...” I explained that I make my own pizza at home and would love to replicate the amazing flavor of their pizza. She said, “Hold on and I’ll show you.” So she went back into the kitchen and came back with a small plastic cup with some grated cheese in it. “This is what we use,” she said. “Just mozzarella.”
“Do you mind if I see the package?” I asked.
But she said her boss really wouldn’t like for her to give too many proprietary details.
“Do you use  Sysco or FSA Foods for your ingredients?” I persisted.
“Um, I don’t know…” she said, practically backing away from me.
I was making such a nuisance of myself, I think she thought I was crazy, and so did the Mexican cook. OMG... I took my leave and went out to sheepishly wait for my pizza. lol

So I do believe her that they only use mozzarella. I still have the sample of the grated cheese she gave me, it appears to be one kind of cheese in there, and mozzarella at that.
I got the pizza, and it has SUCH a characteristic, distinctive flavor. I also got a side of their pizza sauce. Both the sauce and cheese just taste completely normal and quite unremarkable in every way! But the pizza itself has a VERY distinctive aroma and flavor! They seem to have some secret ingredient or something, where their pizza becomes more than the sum of its parts. Maybe it's the high-temp cooking process that does it.  It really is exquisite.
So my search continues…Hope it doesn’t drive me absolutely bonkers. LOL

Here are some pics I took of their pizza I got today. If any "pizza whisperers" can glean any info from the pics, please chime in!

tourmaline,

Part of your post really made me chuckle.  :-D Your dumpster diving and asking the workers questions at that pizzeria sure were interesting.  I wish I could have been there to watch and hear you ask those questions.  You did a great job of interrogating!   ;D 8)

I noticed about the same things too before that the cheese or sauce alone might not be all that special but something almost magical can happen it the right portions are used and also the bake is right.  I was talking to a member in a PM recently that asked me about pizza sauces and what I thought of trying different ones.  I told that member I have tried many and found that the sauce, cheese, portions of ingredients, bake and other things do give different results in a taste of a pizza in my opinion.  Even a different brand of sauce if spiced up just right can taste like another brand of sauce on the final pizza if it contains about the same things.   

Best of luck in your search and I hope it does not drive you completely bonkers. :P  I thought I never would be able to make a pizza something like Mack's but finally in the end I was at least close.

Did you happen to see what the oven temperature was and also the make of the oven?  I found out a few months ago when I was trying to make a De Lorenzo's Robbinsville clone pizza with Peter's help, and other members help it was hard to duplicate that pizza because of the type of oven De Lorenzo's uses and their oven temperature.  We did know the cheese brand, the sauces used and also the flour, but that dang thing would not bake exactly right in any of my ovens after many attempts.  I even took photos and a video at De Lorenzo's and we studied everything about De Lorenzo's pizza.     

The mozzarella cheese on the photos you posted sure looks like it melted nicely.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline tourmaline

Aw thanks, I’m glad it brought a chuckle!  ;D  It was pretty funny actually - and incredibly awkward. I learned that I can get very aggressive when I’m desperate and 'backed into a corner!' LOL

You are so right, some sort of magic happens when the perfect heat combines with the perfect proportions of ingredients. Their pizza is so extremely flavorful, with a distinctive smell and taste  unlike any other pizza place I’ve ever been too.  I did notice that the big cup of sauce that they gave me was cold. It’s possible that it’s a totally uncooked sauce and when the sauce is heated on the pizza is when the magical array of flavors are released by heat. I think quality/strength of spices is super important: quite often I get dried herbs/spices that seem weak or have lost a lot of their flavor. This happens a lot with dried basil, especially when bought loose from a bulk bin.

While I was eating the pizza yesterday and today, there were a few rare moments when I got a burst of a flavor that I could identify. With one particular bite, I got a blast of oregano in my mouth (or thyme, which tastes like oregano to me); on another bite I detected strong basil; and there were a couple bites I took when there was heat on my tongue, which I believe  was perhaps a red pepper flake. So I do have an idea of some of the spices that go into the sauce. I’m already plotting how to go there at night so I can load up on full bags from their dumpsters and cardboard boxes from their recycling bin. I need more information!   :drool:

Unfortunately, no, I didn’t see their oven. The whole episode was all a wild blur to me. It was so embarrassing, I think I’ve blocked out a lot of the details. Haha. I think I’m going to experiment with my oven, with preheating it to as high as it will go, then maybe switching it to broil shortly after I put the pizza in.

Thanks for your info & words of encouragement!  :)

Offline scott123

Zoe, it sounds like you've probably burned your bridges and most likely won't have a chance at any further interrogation, but, if you ever find yourself in this position again, repeat after me, "hard cheeses like romano and parmesan give me intense migraines, are you SURE that your cheese is only mozzarella?"

Btw, the cheese flavor you cherish is towards the crust, where it's colored a bit, not the tip, where the cheese is white/barely melted, right?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Aw thanks, I’m glad it brought a chuckle!  ;D  It was pretty funny actually - and incredibly awkward. I learned that I can get very aggressive when I’m desperate and 'backed into a corner!' LOL

You are so right, some sort of magic happens when the perfect heat combines with the perfect proportions of ingredients. Their pizza is so extremely flavorful, with a distinctive smell and taste  unlike any other pizza place I’ve ever been too.  I did notice that the big cup of sauce that they gave me was cold. It’s possible that it’s a totally uncooked sauce and when the sauce is heated on the pizza is when the magical array of flavors are released by heat. I think quality/strength of spices is super important: quite often I get dried herbs/spices that seem weak or have lost a lot of their flavor. This happens a lot with dried basil, especially when bought loose from a bulk bin.

While I was eating the pizza yesterday and today, there were a few rare moments when I got a burst of a flavor that I could identify. With one particular bite, I got a blast of oregano in my mouth (or thyme, which tastes like oregano to me); on another bite I detected strong basil; and there were a couple bites I took when there was heat on my tongue, which I believe  was perhaps a red pepper flake. So I do have an idea of some of the spices that go into the sauce. I’m already plotting how to go there at night so I can load up on full bags from their dumpsters and cardboard boxes from their recycling bin. I need more information!   :drool:

Unfortunately, no, I didn’t see their oven. The whole episode was all a wild blur to me. It was so embarrassing, I think I’ve blocked out a lot of the details. Haha. I think I’m going to experiment with my oven, with preheating it to as high as it will go, then maybe switching it to broil shortly after I put the pizza in.

Thanks for your info & words of encouragement!  :)

tourmaline,

I agree it is awkward when you are trying to find out how a pizzeria makes their pizza with all of that questioning and trying to keep your eyes peeled for something that might be of value.  You are right that the uncooked sauce will taste different than the sauce on the baked pizza if spices or herbs are used.  I had a rather odd experience when trying to make a sauce taste like Mack's pizza.  Their pizza has what looks like oregano in the sauce.  I tried all kinds of oregano and finally found one that does give my sauce a taste almost like Mack's.  I purchased a big quantity from a food service distributor and it was Greek oregano.  It tasted nothing like other oregano’s I tried.  It also has a pleasant strong oregano odor.  I put some of that oregano right in my cold sauce, microwave a little with fresh garlic, a little red pepper flakes and a little Italian seasonings in olive oil, and also put a bunch more in when using the sauce at market.  You would think that Greek oregano would be overpowering but somehow it is not.  I never figured out why that is and Steve and I talk about that different times why there is not a strong oregano flavor in my sauce when eaten not cooked or baked.  I posted about that oregano because on my cardboard box the only writing was the name of the distributor and just oregano leaves.  Bova Foods did tell me it was Greek oregano before I purchased it though.  I can post a photo of the box and what I have left of that oregano if you want me to. 

Lol about you plotting on what to do when you get to the dumpster at night and getting aggressive when you are desperate and backed into the corner.

What does the mozzarella taste like when eaten plain? 

Do they bake their pizzas in plain view, or are the ovens back in the kitchen? 

Best of luck with trying you home oven!

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
I’m already plotting how to go there at night so I can load up on full bags from their dumpsters and cardboard boxes from their recycling bin. I need more information!
Zoe,

You can do what Norma usually does. She dresses up in bummy clothes and brings a bottle of booze with her. That way, if someone approaches the dumpster, she can just lie down on her back in the trash with her arm extended outwardly holding the bottle in her fist. Works all the time. Sometimes the owners even take her in and feed her some pizza.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Zoe,

You can do what Norma usually does. She dresses up in bummy clothes and brings a bottle of booze with her. That way, if someone approaches the dumpster, she can just lie down on her back in the trash with her arm extended outwardly holding the bottle in her fist. Works all the time. Sometimes the owners even take her in and feed her some pizza.

Peter

Zoe,

Since Peter chimed in on what I have done you might be interested in some pointers he gave me on what to do. 

These are some of the links.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg220987.html#msg220987 

Peter mentioned in this link about me wearing a fake wig and sunglasses.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg135145.html#msg135145  I have a photo of me with a fake wig and sunglasses on that trip but it way to embarrassing for me to post.  :-[

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25401.msg287575/topicseen.html#msg287575 

This is how Peter told me to prepare for another trip.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25401.msg275003.html#msg275003 

This was one post that Peter posted that you might find interesting that I found out later I was wrong on the type of cheese that Mack's used.  It might have been the right cheese but it could have been aged which I did not know at the time.  I found that out later.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg206640.html#msg206640 

Steve posted what I did at. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg201464.html#msg201464 

You might get a kick out of this post. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg221119.html#msg221119   

Bob posted this.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25401.msg275087.html#msg275087 

I could find more posts about dumpster diving and what to do, but those links will give you an idea about trying to clone other pizzerias pizzas is not for the faint of heart.  I am still going to try to clone the De Lorenzo's pizza but I might not be able to clone it with my types of ovens.   

Don't forget what I said in a previous post that a lot of those trash bags might be full of just trash from what people ate and be careful because dumpster diving is illegal in some states.  I still have all those dumpster diving photos but I sure am not going to post them on the open forum.

Not to discourage you but different members have been working on cloning a Shakey's pizza clone for a long while.

Best of Luck!  ;D

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
One of the things I admire about Norma is that she will spare no effort to gather even the smallest amount of information (first photo), although sometimes someone might call the police, as happened on one of her forays (second photo). Norma also learned that you do to not want to be in the dumpster when the big truck comes around to empty it (third photo). I don't think that has happened to Norma.....yet.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 07:10:15 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
One of the things I admire about Norma is that she will spare no effort to gather even the smallest amount of information (first photo), although sometimes someone might call the police, as happened on one of her forays (second photo). Norma also learned that you do to be in the dumpster when the big truck comes around to empty it (third photo). I don't think that has happened to Norma...yet.

Peter

Peter,

Lol about your post and photos.   :-D  I needed a good laugh today.  My great granddaughter is about driving me nuts somedays, but I guess that is the way young children are.  It has been so long that I had young children around each day that I guess I forgot how it was. 

I have gotten dirty hands from the dumpster diving, but I have not had to deal with the big truck coming around to pick up the dumpster trash.   :angel:  Maybe I am finished with dumpster diving but who knows about that.

I would like to be able to go along with Zoe though.  I guess it is the rush of finding something is why I did and liked it.  I never had an accomplice in my dumpster diving efforts.

Norma

Offline tourmaline

Scott: There seems to be a new person behind the counter every time I go in there, so there’s always next time! Your quote is a great tactic though. Another one is, “I’d like to know the brand of cheese you use because I’d like to call the company and find out if they use real animal rennet, since I’m a vegetarian.” I’m considering emailing that one to my pizzeria, perhaps it will work! I actually AM a vegetarian, but I tend to let the rennet thing slide.

Actually, no - the spectacular flavor is not concentrated toward the edges, it covers the whole pizza, from the first bite to the last. I have tried all the elements in isolation: the crust, the sauce, the cheese and none of them seem responsible for this intense, very distinctive flavor. It almost seems like they coat or spray the pizza with some special flavorful oil. I consider this a distinct possibility, the flavor is THAT strong and mysterious. The flavor does seem to emanate from the sheen of oil covering the pizza cheese - whether it’s from the oiling off of the mozzarella or from a separate sprayed on substance is now the big question mark.
And I noticed that this pizza had tiny diamond marks on the bottom from having been cooked on a pizza screen.

I wish I could have some of you guys taste this pizza. I think you guys would be absolutely blown away. This place has a reputation in my city/region for making really great pizza, they’ve been in business 40+ years, the family is very Italian (Calabrese), and their pizza flavor is just incredible, like nothing else.

Norma, thank you! I will have to compare Italian oregano to Greek oregano.
Tonight I did a strange exercise. They gave me a big Styrofoam bowl of pizza sauce upon request, so I decided to examine the sauce very closely and taste the spices that I saw in the sauce.  I carefully used a toothpick to pick out specimens of the various different pieces of herbs that were in the sauce - most were pieces of green leaf, but there were some white specks too. Then I chewed on them separately so I could identify them. I successfully identified: thyme, oregano, basil, and white pepper (which apparently was responsible for the heat, not red pepper flakes as I originally thought). So I’m glad to have those sauce spices identified.

The cheese that they gave me a sample of was slightly yellow, not pale white. It was soft and tasted creamy and slightly salty. I am now desperate to find out what brand of mozz this is because I’ve tentatively concluded that the amazing flavor of their pizza seems to derive from the oily sheen on top of the cheese.  Have you, or anyone, ever heard of a pizza maker spraying the top of their pizza with something for added flavor?
And no, unfortunately I didn’t see any pizzas or oven. 

Thanks for those amusing links! I wish you could come with me on this adventure too, it would make it more fun and less nerve-wracking to have another person involved who “gets it.”

Pete: So funny about dumpster diving, thank you! I’ve been devising all sorts of plans in my head on how to get the trash bags into the back of my vehicle. I’d like to do it late at night when the place is closed, but then a cop might  come by, wondering why someone’s pulling in at such a late hour. So many variables to consider…like do I wear a cat-burglar outfit or regular clothing?  Haha.  I’ve even thought of parking at a nearby store at night, walking stealthily over to the closed pizzeria, grabbing bags willy-nilly from the dumpster and stashing them in a nearby field, then coming back the next day to retrieve the stashed bags from the field. LOL!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator

Actually, no - the spectacular flavor is not concentrated toward the edges, it covers the whole pizza, from the first bite to the last. I have tried all the elements in isolation: the crust, the sauce, the cheese and none of them seem responsible for this intense, very distinctive flavor. It almost seems like they coat or spray the pizza with some special flavorful oil. I consider this a distinct possibility, the flavor is THAT strong and mysterious. The flavor does seem to emanate from the sheen of oil covering the pizza cheese - whether it’s from the oiling off of the mozzarella or from a separate sprayed on substance is now the big question mark.
And I noticed that this pizza had tiny diamond marks on the bottom from having been cooked on a pizza screen.

I wish I could have some of you guys taste this pizza. I think you guys would be absolutely blown away. This place has a reputation in my city/region for making really great pizza, they’ve been in business 40+ years, the family is very Italian (Calabrese), and their pizza flavor is just incredible, like nothing else.

Norma, thank you! I will have to compare Italian oregano to Greek oregano.
Tonight I did a strange exercise. They gave me a big Styrofoam bowl of pizza sauce upon request, so I decided to examine the sauce very closely and taste the spices that I saw in the sauce.  I carefully used a toothpick to pick out specimens of the various different pieces of herbs that were in the sauce - most were pieces of green leaf, but there were some white specks too. Then I chewed on them separately so I could identify them. I successfully identified: thyme, oregano, basil, and white pepper (which apparently was responsible for the heat, not red pepper flakes as I originally thought). So I’m glad to have those sauce spices identified.

The cheese that they gave me a sample of was slightly yellow, not pale white. It was soft and tasted creamy and slightly salty. I am now desperate to find out what brand of mozz this is because I’ve tentatively concluded that the amazing flavor of their pizza seems to derive from the oily sheen on top of the cheese.  Have you, or anyone, ever heard of a pizza maker spraying the top of their pizza with something for added flavor?
And no, unfortunately I didn’t see any pizzas or oven. 

Zoe,

Every time I read one of your posts it makes me chuckle and brings back good memories of me trying to find out about the cheese (or cheeses) and the sauce a pizzeria uses.  I also enjoy how you are devising all sorts of plans about the trash bags in the dumpster. 

It was good you got a big Styrofoam bowl of pizza sauce to examine and taste.  I find it interesting how you explained the the cheese.  When you explained how the sample of the cheese was slightly yellow and not pale white it makes me wonder how those slices you posted had that cheese that looked so white.  I also find the soft and creamy and slightly salty taste interesting.  I never hear of pizza maker spraying the top of their pizza with something for added flavor but did hear of pizzerias drizzling olive oil or a blend of oils to give that sheen.  Maybe I just never heard of spraying pizzas to give extra flavor or a sheen.   

If you ever get a chance maybe you can post some more photos so we might get a better idea of what a whole pizza looks like.  Do you ever order just a sauce and cheese pizza? 

I would like to be able to try that pizza you are trying to find out about. 

Norma 

Offline tourmaline

Yay, I'm glad that you are enjoying my quest, Norma! Although it's quite frustrating, a part of me finds it exhilerating.  ;D

In order to plan my dumpster diving excursion, I decided last night to look at my special pizzeria in Google Maps satellite image so that I could case the joint online. Well, as I zoomed in on the Google satellite image, I was shocked to see that the image showed a delivery truck parked at the back of the pizzeria! What amazing luck that this overhead image from a year or so ago just happened to have been taken when they were getting their food service delivery! The delivery truck shows a turquoise cab, so I quickly googled images of the Sysco food service trucks - no trucks with turquoise cabs. Then I googled FSA Foods trucks and, BINGO! FSA has the trucks with the turquoise cab! So now I definitively know that their cheese is Della Vita brand from FSA Foods.

So today I called FSA Foods to ask if it would be possible for a regular consumer to buy a loaf of their Della Vita Whole Milk Mozzarella. She said yes, they have a service where I can place an order, then come to the warehouse and pick it up. But it's $5 a pound, which is very expensive. I was so happy to find this out though and fully prepared to plunk down $30 for a loaf of their mozz. I got the Della Vita brochure off their website and it has all their Italian foods in it, like their canned tomatoes, cheeses, pre-made pizza crusts, pastas, etc. I might get some of those two so I can use all the same ingredients as my pizza place uses.

The thing is though: Today for the first time, I made a small pizza using the actual pizza sauce from my pizzeria that they gave me, and I used some old dough I had in the fridge plus my own mozz that I have on hand. Well, turns out my pizza had exactly the distinctive flavor of my pizza place, so I think their sauce IS the source of the flavor. Maybe I don't even need the Della Vita cheese they use, if the secret's in the sauce! I'll have to make another small pizza or two with their sauce to know with certainty if that's really the source of all the flavor, or if I need to spring for the expensive Della Vita Mozz.
I'm very happy that I am starting to 'crack the code.'  :chef: :pizza:

About the cheese, I think the grated cheese that I was given was quite white when they gave it to me, but then it yellowed with time because I had it at room temperature for a few hours, so it oxidized a bit.
I was thinking that to get their amazing flavor, they might be using MSG somewhere on their pizza, possibly. I may buy some Accent MSG seasoning at the store and try experimenting with it.
No, I never just get a cheese pizza because I love bell pepper and olives on my pizza, and at $20 per pizza I want it to taste as good as it can. Oh my goodness, it's so good. It's as if they plant little bombs in their sauce that are dormant when the sauce is cold, but explode and release amazing flavors when cooked. I'm really in awe of it.

Thanks for all of your invaluable advice and for being my sounding board!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator

In order to plan my dumpster diving excursion, I decided last night to look at my special pizzeria in Google Maps satellite image so that I could case the joint online. Well, as I zoomed in on the Google satellite image, I was shocked to see that the image showed a delivery truck parked at the back of the pizzeria! What amazing luck that this overhead image from a year or so ago just happened to have been taken when they were getting their food service delivery! The delivery truck shows a turquoise cab, so I quickly googled images of the Sysco food service trucks - no trucks with turquoise cabs. Then I googled FSA Foods trucks and, BINGO! FSA has the trucks with the turquoise cab! So now I definitively know that their cheese is Della Vita brand from FSA Foods.

So today I called FSA Foods to ask if it would be possible for a regular consumer to buy a loaf of their Della Vita Whole Milk Mozzarella. She said yes, they have a service where I can place an order, then come to the warehouse and pick it up. But it's $5 a pound, which is very expensive. I was so happy to find this out though and fully prepared to plunk down $30 for a loaf of their mozz. I got the Della Vita brochure off their website and it has all their Italian foods in it, like their canned tomatoes, cheeses, pre-made pizza crusts, pastas, etc. I might get some of those two so I can use all the same ingredients as my pizza place uses.

I'm very happy that I am starting to 'crack the code.'  :chef: :pizza:

Zoe,

Good thinking to use Google Maps satellite images to case the pizzeria online and find out they use Food Services of America for a distributor.  I am glad if you are starting to crack the code.

I wanted to ask you a question though.  Since you found out your favorite pizzeria is using Food Services of America as a distributor how do you know your favorite pizzeria uses the Della Vista brand of mozzarella from FSA?  Usually a foodservice distributor carries more than one brand of mozzarella.  Did you ask FSA when you called them if they carry other mozzarella’s?

I can't access Food Services of America product catalog at http://www.fsafood.com/main/serviceareas/serviceareasmap.aspx to see if they carry any other brands of mozzarella’s.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
I noticed that under the FSA Gold Star Vendors heading there is a company called Schreiber. They are very big in the cheese business (they are the largest employee-owned dairy company in the world) but mainly in the private branded and foodservice sectors. I used to use one of their private branded mozzarella cheeses and it was very good, better than most of the national brands sold in the supermarkets near me. Unfortunately, the supermarket chain where I used to buy the Schreiber mozzarella cheese was sold to another chain that then proceeded to discontinue the brand. I even had a few email exchanges with Schreiber to find a new source but to no avail.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Peter,

Since you posted you liked the Schreiber mozzarella do you know anything about Schreiber Solid Imitation mozzarella?  I looked at the one meat and cheese vendor that is at market and see they offer the Schreiber Solid Imitation Mozzarella.  http://www.heagyfoods.com/Heagy_Foods_Products.cfm#schreiber/cheese/mozzarella/product_detail.cfm?pid=22517  The ingredients for the Schreiber Solid Imitation Mozzarella are at  http://www.profileshowcase.com/Product/DEFAULT/000202/01060?PRINT=Y  and http://www.pkunews.org/diet/cheese.htm#schr 

I don't think I have ever heard of any other imitation mozzarella before, or how that would taste on a pizza.  Do you think by looking at the imitation mozzarella Nutrition Information it would be better for someone on a diet rather than other mozzarella's?

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Since you posted you liked the Schreiber mozzarella do you know anything about Schreiber Solid Imitation mozzarella?
Norma,

No, I am not familiar with that product. At first I thought that it might be a vegan product but ruled that out because the cheese contains casein, which is a component of milk. There is no cholesterol in the product so it might be suitable for those who do not want to add more cholesterol to their diet.

The closest I have come to an imitation mozzarella cheese is a soy-based mozzarella cheese that contains soy among other ingredients. I once used it in a lasagna dish, which also included ricotta, and I once combined it with regular mozzarella cheese for a pizza and both worked out reasonably well. I don't think many would have known that there was soy mozzarella in either dish.

I normally avoid artificial products of any kind but there may be dietary and/or health reasons where they may be useful. The best way to find out if you like an imitation product is to simply try it.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma,

No, I am not familiar with that product. At first I thought that it might be a vegan product but ruled that out because the cheese contains casein, which is a component of milk. There is no cholesterol in the product so it might be suitable for those who do not want to add more cholesterol to their diet.

The closest I have come to an imitation mozzarella cheese is a soy-based mozzarella cheese that contains soy among other ingredients. I once used it in a lasagna dish, which also included ricotta, and I once combined it with regular mozzarella cheese for a pizza and both worked out reasonably well. I don't think many would have known that there was soy mozzarella in either dish.

I normally avoid artificial products of any kind but there may be dietary and/or health reasons where they may be useful. The best way to find out if you like an imitation product is to simply try it.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for letting me know that you were not familiar with the Schreiber imitation mozzarella and what you tried with a soy-base mozzarella cheese. 

I will see if Heagy's sells the Schreiber imitation mozzarella at market, or if I can purchased one block.  I am always interested in trying a new mozzarella or cheese for pizzas.

Norma

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
If you're still interested in using a flavored oil on your pizza, which is what Pizzeria Regina in Boston does, you should check this out: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21138.0
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.